The Next Best Book Club discussion

Writing What You Know: How to Turn Personal Experiences into Publishable Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry
This topic is about Writing What You Know
Book Related Banter > Writing Tips

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Harleman (goodreadscomann_harleman) WRITING TIPS abound in Meg Files’s WRITING WHAT YOU KNOW, just out in a second edition. Meg’s astute and down-to-earth approach is like long, luxurious discussions with a good writer friend.
A terrific book!

message 2: by Ann (last edited Oct 31, 2019 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Harleman (goodreadscomann_harleman) WRITING TIPS (No. 4 in a series). Add more joie de vivre to your process! Just discovered Natalie Goldberg’s spirited 💥and inspiring 🔥book—thanks 🙏 to my brilliant graphic designer, Amy Kalisher (@amykstudio). See the world more deeply, write more vividly, have fun in the process!

Living Color Painting, Writing, and the Bones of Seeing by Natalie Goldberg

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Harleman (goodreadscomann_harleman) Can the art of writing ✍️ make us better at the art 🖼 of living?
My essay in the editors’ choice issue of Womenartsquarterly Journal, “Letter to a Young Writer,” explores this question. Eight well-known writing principles as I’ve tried (with varying degrees of success and/or pleasure) to LIVE them.
A memoir in self-help clothing 🐑!

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara MacKenzie | 16 comments Tips for writing? Here are mine:

~Write what you want, good or bad.
~Don't be discouraged by bad reviews, learn from them.
~You will grow as a writer - keep going!

message 5: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Lane (sashalaneauthor) | 5 comments Some good advice I have been given is to look at your average review score, not individual reviews. Every author will get a bad review - it’s your overall review score that matters x

Dawn Hill Publications (dawnhillpub) | 2 comments Our Writing Advice:

-Be confident in yourself! Put your work out there and get feedback! That's the best way to improve your work.

-Organise yourself. When you're writing, your focus is writing and writing only. Structuring your writing does help for most authors, helps them be more productive during writing sessions.

message 7: by Leon (new)

Leon Stevens (leon_stevens) | 4 comments I agree with Sasha and Dawn Hill. I started to blog more and to write a few articles on various sites. It helps to get out of the comfort zone. I've gone a while without writing and then I sat down with a blog topic and wrote for a half hour (maybe more). It was fun too!

Leon