Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ceelee's Hot August Reads

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 202 comments Hello everyone! Happy September! In North Texas, the ninth month of the year has become an extension of the eighth month which is not fun after going through 31 days of upper 90's and about 15 days of 100+ degrees. Luckily I have been able to escape to cooler weather for a couple weeks and that makes me happy even though I missed the meteor shower this year!

This month I have two print books and two ebooks to report. I finished the print books fairly early in the month so I hope I am not forgetting and actually finished in July :)

The first print book is MADAME SERPENT by Jean Plaidy

Madame Serpent: A Catherine de' Medici Novel

I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Catherine de' Medici. Plaidy is another author from my teenhood and college days I really enjoyed reading. Her books are more of telling a story than a history lesson but she does include historical information that helps the reader understand what is going on. One of these days I want to read the other two books in that series. I knew very little about Catherine when I started the book and now I am really intrigued!

Next print book I read was AS HUSBANDS GO by Susan Isacs.

As Husbands Go

I had a love/hate relationship with this book. For one thing, I did not like "Susie" much and most of the characters got on my nerves except I liked Grandma Ethel. She was a hoot. There was constant name dropping and mentioning designer brands of clothes and such. But as much as I groaned at every reference I actually liked the book. To me, it is like a satire of murder mysteries where the amateur sleuth sets out to solve the crime because she/he doesn't believe the authorities have the right answers. In Susie/'s case, she wasn't as much upset her husband was murdered as she was peeved that he was murdered by a call girl in her apartment. It was pretty funny, really. I would probably never read it again but I think I get the idea Ms Isacs was trying to convey in the story.
Yep, the rich are truly different!

Ebooks for August include THE WINEMAKER'S WIFE by Kristin Harmel

The Winemaker's Wife

This was an ARC from NetGalley and it is the first book I have gotten that I didn't like very much. I am not a fan of novels that are "historical" yet go back and forth from the past to the present with completely different characters whoa are not that interesting. It takes real skill to be able to do that and not many authors, in my opinion, can accomplish it.The entire novel was really predictable and was basically a romance novel set in France during WWII and summer 2019.

My favorite book of August was THE SHAPE OF NIGHT by Tess Gerritsen.

The Shape of Night

I was THRILLED to be awarded this ARC by NetGalley! I am a fan of the author's work but it is definitely different from her Rizzoli and isles novels! It is pure gothic and I know some of her fans are not going to like it because she stepped out in a different direction but I LOVED it! It is about a food writer who moves to a town in Maine to finish writing a book in an old mansion and encounters the occupant who built the house, sometime in the 1800's and she began a kind of weird affair with Brodie, the ghost. It does turn into a dark tale of death and a recent murder and a very real threat which I never saw coming.

Now it is September and I am having more reading adventures including one with the journalists Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Bisland as they race around the world! I hope everyone has a lot of "good reads" to get you through the last bit of summer and all of you were spared from the recent hurricane.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14202 comments Good month Ceelee! The new Tess Gerritsen is most intriguing. I am a big fan of her books though haven't read one in a great while. I will have to add The Shape of Night to my tottering tbr pile.