What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Older Horror short story: man can't leave room. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments I read this as a teen-ager a few years ago (2015-2017), I remember that it centered around a man in his living room, whenever he tried to leave the walls would move away, there was some sort of other being in the room with him (a living shadow if I recall), in the end you learn that the man had died and is now a ghost. I believe that the story was written between 1940 and 1970.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments Does anyone have any further information?

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments I think a telephone may have figured in the plot somehow, but I may be combining two stories in my memory.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments Still looking.

message 5: by Kris (last edited Nov 09, 2019 04:45PM) (new)

Kris | 32272 comments Mod
rockabilly, did you read this short story in a collection/anthology? If so, can you describe the book (e.g., multiple/single authors, sample authors, themes, # of short stories, for teens or older adults)?

Anything else about the man (e.g., his age, job/skills/interest, personality, marital status)?

I added a spoiler alert to the topic header.

message 6: by The rockabilly werewolf from Mars (last edited Nov 09, 2019 05:24PM) (new)

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments It was probably in an anthology (multiple authors), which was probably from the library (so it probably wasn't anything particularly rare or unusual). It wouldn't have been for teen-agers, I was never much of a YA fan, even when I was in the target audience (all the romance turned me off from reading that sort of book, but I digress). I think that the man was married, but I can't be sure. I thought for a while that it was The Oxford Book of Twentieth-Century Ghost Stories, but when I got it out from the library again a few months ago, I found that it wasn't (there was a vaguely similar story, but I'm certain that it wasn't that one). I don't remember any character names; and I don't think that the protagonist's background was described in any great detail.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments Just thought I would see if anyone else has any new ideas.

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1046 comments I know this isn't the book you're looking for, but I thought I would just mention it. The Prisoner Of Malville Hall by Dorothy Daniels. It's been years since I read it, but the h is held prisoner in the house haunted by ghosts/spirits. I can't remember if the ghosts were murdered and she was trying to find out.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments Not my book, but cool cover.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments Seeing if anyone has any new suggestions.

message 15: by Julia (new)

Julia (weltengaengerin) Could it be something like this "Extended Stay: A Short Story"

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments Julia wrote: "Could it be something like this "Extended Stay: A Short Story""

Who's the author?

message 17: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jul 09, 2020 06:44AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1598 comments Extended Stay by Jeff Shipp for Julia's link (first published in 2010).

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments I don't think that's it.

message 19: by Julia (new)

Julia (weltengaengerin) The rockabilly werewolf from Mars wrote: "I don't think that's it."

SamSpayedPI wrote: "Extended Stay by Jeff Shipp for Julia's link (first published in 2010)."

Sorry about it. Just thught the scene when he tried to leave the room sounded similar like what you described.

message 22: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Hogan | 29 comments It sounds slightly like Frank Belknap Long's Hounds of Tindalos, but that's not exactly a ghost story. There is a character who is afraid to leave his room because of angles, so he uses plaster to get rid of any edges in the room.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1453 comments I've read that, and I know it isn't it. Thanks, though.