Play Book Tag discussion

Tomb of the Golden Bird (Amelia Peabody, #18)
This topic is about Tomb of the Golden Bird
Archive: Other Books > Tomb of the golden Bird by Elizabeth Peters 3 stars (Horizons)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1442 comments Chronologically the last book in the Amelia Peabody series though Elizabeth Peters did write one more book after this, set earlier. It's 1922 and Howard Carter has just discovered the tomb of Tutankhamen. Emerson and Howard have a fight so Emerson can only watch from the sidelines as the tomb begins to be excavated. Meanwhile someone is threatening members of the family and the threats are once again tied to Sethos. There wasn't as much of a mystery in this book but I enjoyed getting to spend time with the Emerson family and friends again. It was rather bittersweet for me to read the last pages. I've really enjoyed the time spent with Amelia and will likely end up rereading some of the books.

Jgrace | 2762 comments Is this the one that was published after her death? I think it's the only one I haven't read. You do make me want to reread some of them.

Rachel N. | 1442 comments Jgrace wrote: "Is this the one that was published after her death? I think it's the only one I haven't read. You do make me want to reread some of them."
No, this is the next to last one written entirely by her. I've heard the one written after her death was primarily written by Joan Hess and has a lot of inconsistencies with characters so I don't plan on reading that one.

message 4: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 718 comments Rachel N. wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "Is this the one that was published after her death? I think it's the only one I haven't read. You do make me want to reread some of them."
No, this is the next to last one written en..."

I love this series. All hail Amelia! Someday I plan to re-read it - or probably listen to it because the audio reader has Amelia down to a "T".

And I agree with you. I have no intention of reading the "last" book in the series.

Jgrace | 2762 comments Oops. Yes, I did read this one. I also intend to boycott the ghostwritten book.

message 6: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 718 comments It's almost never good when a ghost writer finishes a series after an author dies. One of the reasons why I was glad that Sue Grafton's family held to her wishes not to finish the series by having a ghost writer write the "Z" book.