Play Book Tag discussion

Women Talking
This topic is about Women Talking
September 2019: Cultural > Women Talking 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Sep 09, 2019 07:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Women Talking 5 stars
PBT NOTE: tagged by 86 people as cultural

This was a tough one to rate-finally decided on 5 stars after turning things over in my head last night, then writing the review before committing.

This is a fictional account of the after-math of sexual assaults that took place in a Bolivian Mennonite Community between the years of 2005-2009. Miriam Toews's imagines 8 women, all ages, sitting around a table deciding what they should do: Stay and do nothing. Stay and Fight. Run away.

The story is told by a young man, August, who the women trust. He is asked to take the minutes of their meetings. August is newly returned to the colony. As a child he and his parents were asked to leave. Although the women are the main focus of the book, we learn about August through their debates.

This is more than a story of abuse. It is a story of 2 strong women, trying to raise strong daughters and granddaughters. It is the story of hope and love and the bonds that women forge through their lives, where ever those lives may be.

This book was way out of my wheel-house, Abuse and rape are not things I want to read about-there were only small mentions of these things in the text (although you know why the women have gathered, why they are talking). The book is sad, humorous at points, and what I believe to be highly likely to have happened. I grew attached to all the women and cheered them through out.

I highly recommend this book.

message 2: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3224 comments I have this on my TBR and look forward to reading it sometime soon!

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Meli wrote: "I have this on my TBR and look forward to reading it sometime soon!"

I hope you like it and I look forward to your thoughts. This would be a great buddy read and discussion book

message 4: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3224 comments Joanne wrote: "Meli wrote: "I have this on my TBR and look forward to reading it sometime soon!"

I hope you like it and I look forward to your thoughts. This would be a great buddy read and discussion book"

Sounds like it, and I was hoping to get my IRL book club to read it. At the least I will create a buddy read thread when I get to it if someone else doesn't beat me to the punch.

message 5: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 6634 comments I have a special edition copy on my nightstand and hope to read it very soon. Like the idea of a buddy read on it!

Booknblues | 5740 comments Yay! I so glad to have somebody else read it . It was very moving for me and like you, I had trouble rating it.

It doesn't move quickly because there is so much talk and philosophy, but in the end I was deeply moved by the story. I gave it a 5 star as well.

I read it right after I read Educated and couldn't help comparing the two, because in many ways they were related.

I'm so glad you liked it, Joanne, that was an excellent review.

message 7: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3224 comments Theresa wrote: "I have a special edition copy on my nightstand and hope to read it very soon. Like the idea of a buddy read on it!"

Do you have the Independent Bookstore special edition? This is the version I have. I think the only difference is the color of the cover.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Thanks BnB. I am pretty sure it was your review that fueled me to add to my TBR. I am glad you read it and wrote what you did. If this is not on my top ten this year, it will be very close. I am hoping enough people will read it and start a buddy read-It really would make a great discussion here.

message 9: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 6634 comments Meli wrote: "Theresa wrote: "I have a special edition copy on my nightstand and hope to read it very soon. Like the idea of a buddy read on it!"

Do you have the Independent Bookstore special edition? This is t..."

Yup. Mine might also be autographed....

Booknblues | 5740 comments Joanne wrote: "Thanks BnB. I am pretty sure it was your review that fueled me to add to my TBR. I am glad you read it and wrote what you did. If this is not on my top ten this year, it will be very close. I am ho..."

It would make a great discussion book.

I received an email from one of my book things, that Margaret Atwood recommended it.

message 11: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3224 comments Theresa wrote: "Meli wrote: "Theresa wrote: "I have a special edition copy on my nightstand and hope to read it very soon. Like the idea of a buddy read on it!"

Do you have the Independent Bookstore special editi..."

I'll have to check mine and see if it is also! Cool :)

message 12: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2809 comments I received an email from one of my book things, that Margaret Atwood recommended it.

I think we get emails from the same bookthings. :)

Booknblues | 5740 comments Jgrace wrote: "I received an email from one of my book things, that Margaret Atwood recommended it.

I think we get emails from the same bookthings. :)"

Hah!

message 14: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3808 comments I've had this on my TBR since I first saw it, but your review makes me want to get to it soon!!

Interesting that the woman is ABOUT woman, even in the title- but still has a male narrator.

message 15: by Joanne (last edited Sep 13, 2019 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Joi wrote: "I've had this on my TBR since I first saw it, but your review makes me want to get to it soon!!

Interesting that the woman is ABOUT woman, even in the title- but still has a male narrator."

Yes, I found that a bit odd too-but you will see why when you read it-enjoy!

message 16: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3808 comments Joanne wrote: "Yes, I found that a bit odd too-but you will see why when you read it-enjoy!"

More incentive to read it!