Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > short stories recommendations (link)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I was looking for recommendations for 20th century short story collections...

I found one that looks cool: A Manual for Cleaning Women: Selected Stories

and then I found this article that has authors (including George Saunders, Jhumpa Lahiri, Joyce Carol Oates & Chris Power) recommending their favourite short story: Bite sized: leading authors recommend 50 great short stories

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Great find. I have only read a couple of those stories.

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6656 comments A Canadian writer gifted in the art of short stories is Alice Munro. She has numerous collections.

Also Jhumpa Lahiri tends to write short stories and publish as collections. I personally love her writing.

I tend to read more genre based short stories but I did read In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper and really enjoyed it. Block edited another collection based on an artist's paintings that I have not read.

message 4: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments What a good idea - the collect them around a painting. I love it.

Both Munro and Lahiri are recommended by the authors. After reading ‘lives of girls and women’ by Munro (not short but so good) I’m very interested in her short stories