UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Blog Roll > Blogging about history and writing

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 46 comments I've started blogging again after a hiatus of several years. I'd forgotten how time consuming it is - that was why I stopped before. Anyway, I updated yesterday: https://victoriaprescott.wordpress.com/

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21846 comments interesting :-)

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 46 comments Thank you!

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 46 comments I was going to write a blogpost about names in historical fiction, in particular about choosing character names when there was a relatively small pool of names in common use and nearly everyone was named after a parent, grandparent, uncle or aunt. Nearly every man might have been called John, Thomas or William in real life, but it doesn't work in fiction.

Then I found I'd written almost that exact post in my old blog some years ago: http://theenglishhistorian.blogspot.c...

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21846 comments for several generations, the oldest son in our family was called Francis

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 46 comments Did the younger sons also call one of their sons Francis, after their father, so there were several cousins called Francis? I've come across that in real life - two families of cousins, all with the same names and similar ages, so it was impossible to tell which was which.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21846 comments Not in our family, but only because they didn't get a chance As far back as we could trace there were no younger sons or alternatively they died in Flanders

I know one farming family near here where they use three male names George, John and William, and have done for well over a century, and yes, that extends into cousins as well.