Play Book Tag discussion

Girls Burn Brighter
This topic is about Girls Burn Brighter
September 2019: Cultural > Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao - 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Even though from different castes, young Poornima and Savitha develop a strong friendship. When a tragic event happens to Savitha she runs away and tragedy continues to follow her. However, Poornima is determined to find her.

The story is told from different perspectives, and I much preferred Savitha's. Maybe it's because I didn't really like Poornima. I admire the fact that she was so focused on saving her friend. However, she had no problem turning a blind eye to atrocities heaped on others around her. It also doesn't contain any new themes for people who have read books set in India. It covers sex slave trade, the caste system, and the struggles of women. If you've never read books set in India it's a different read. Finally, there were two many improbable scenarios. I don't mind a book having those type of situations, but too many for me loses my interest.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Hmmm....this one had been on my radar but this confirms it will not be jumping to my TBR.

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments I loved this and rated it a 5, but you pointed out something important - different if you haven't read books set in India which is a pretty big gap in my reading history.

Despite having themes already explored in other books set in India, I felt this read very much like a thriller and I was gripped from beginning to end wondering what would happen to the friends.

Maybe table it if you want to avoid, or need a break from, themes of violence against women.

message 4: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments Oh no, I have this on my TBR and am sad to see a mediocre review. I haven't read much (any?) books set in India, so maybe it will feel "fresher" to me.

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments Joi wrote: "Oh no, I have this on my TBR and am sad to see a mediocre review. I haven't read much (any?) books set in India, so maybe it will feel "fresher" to me."

I LOVED it if it is any consolation.
Review here.