UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > wordpress and European Union (not political or brexit)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22037 comments Just looking at my wordpress stats page I noticed that I'd had two views of my blog from the European Union
But when you get views from a country, that country gets coloured in on the map of the world (to help you find it I suppose)
And the EU wasn't coloured in
So I went an looked at my 'all time figures. The European Union accounts for 35 views to my blog, but all the EU member states are mentioned separately and at least a dozen have more views than the EU does

But if wordpress thinks the EU is a place, it's not one marked on the map, so I was wondering if anybody has come across this before and knows where wordpress thinks the EU is?

message 2: by David (new)

David Edwards | 446 comments .eu is a separate Top Level Internet Domain, like .uk, but also like .nato, and it is managed by its own Internet Registry; see its Wikipedia entry if you want to know more. An example pulled off my browser history is this Pan-European support umbrella. Wordpress infers the originating country of your readers from, amongst other things, the originating Internet Protocol (IP) address, and if it resolves to an IP address block allocated to the .eu registry, Wordpress will classify it as .eu. The EU commission uses .europa.eu, which you might be able to see if the statistics tool allows you to drill down to the individual requests.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22037 comments I knew if I asked here somebody would have some idea what was going on :-)

I cannot work out how to go deeper, but did find one comment from wordpress
" If WordPress.com is not able to determine your visitors’ location, their views will not be counted in this chart."

This seems to fit in nicely with what you said