Jess's Instagram Book Club discussion

Educated Discussion cont.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Clarke | 16 comments Mod
1. Did you feel any sense of female empowerment through this book?
2. Do you think the book was centered on education through school or in all facets of life?

message 2: by Janae (new)

Janae LaDue | 1 comments Loved this question! I feel like for the majority of the book there wasn’t much female empowerment that Tara ever witnessed growing up. We see her mother being very passive with her husband, as well as her brothers girlfriends who don’t seem to be able to stand up to her brother. It was pretty astonishing that she was able to see past the culture she grew up around and have that strong female empowerment presence she seems to have at the end.

message 3: by Amelia (last edited Sep 10, 2019 08:04AM) (new)

Amelia Graves  (ameliagraves) | 1 comments I definitely struggled to feel female empowerment. On the contrary, I felt like Tara was muted by her family, particularly her mother and sister, the few female role models she had. Even as she entered college, I found myself getting frustrated with how strong of a grasp her past had on her and even sometimes paralyzed her.

I think the book was centered on the education that you can receive both through school and life experiences. Tara wasn't "educated" til much later, but her experiences at home taught her enough to last a lifetime. I think it was also apparent how education can transform someone. I just got a Master's in English, and my thesis focused on how we can teach students empathy through introductory college courses. We saw this through Tara: she entered college as a judgmental, quiet, sheltered girl, and through education, experiences, and professors, she grew into an understanding and curious woman. As much as her life experiences fed and cultivated her life- education, it was school that really broke the glasses she saw the world through and exposed her to her "unique" childhood and upbringing, and ultimately opened up doorways to become the highly-praised scholar and researcher she is now.