Peanut Blossom Book Club for Recovering Readers discussion

2019: Official Book Discussions > September: The Alice Network

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claire (new)

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments I'm just downloading the audiobook. How is everyone getting on with this month's read?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Friedman | 3 comments Just completed The Alice Network and loved it. I appreciated the storytelling from multiple points of view and how they built upon one another. Also, I really liked the Authors Note at the end discussing what parts were true and what parts were embellished storytelling. The characters were really rich and evolved. Overall an excellent choice to read.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments I finished it yesterday. I have a pretty strict no WWII books rule (got way overloaded on that subject a coupla years ago), but I made an exception. Glad I did--really enjoyed this book.

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments I'm nearly finished too. I think it's taken me longer using audio instead of hard copy. I'm really loving the character development though.

I'll start to post some questions shortly for anyone who wants to discuss in more detail. Feel free to post your own of course !

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Friedman | 3 comments What do you think about the role that “guilt” played in each of the characters’ lives? And in some cases lack of guilt?

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Sarah wrote: "What do you think about the role that “guilt” played in each of the characters’ lives? And in some cases lack of guilt?"

That's a great question! All of our 'heroes' were affected by guilt weren't they? While Eve and to an extent Finn were being destroyed by it Charlie was driven by it (after her little off the rails escapades!) and was thus able to initiate change. Rene's complete lack of conscience was chilling. It is a very strong theme in the book...

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments OK. I'm done! What a great read. So many moments where I exclaimed with surprise, horror, laughter, and sadness.

My first question is which time period did you enjoy reading about the most? And how did the two storylines complement each other?

I nearly always prefer the older time period in this kind of novel but I think I'm split this time perhaps because they were so closely linked.

message 8: by Claire (new)

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments Sarah wrote: "Just completed The Alice Network and loved it. I appreciated the storytelling from multiple points of view and how they built upon one another. Also, I really liked the Authors Note at the end disc..."

I'm really disappointed that the audio book didn't have the author's note. That kind of thing really interests me. I'll have to try and get a hard copy from the library.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Friedman | 3 comments I don’t know that I have a favorite time period, but felt like the author used the 1915 POV like a legend on a map and the 1947 POV like a treasure hunt to uncover. It sucked me in and kept me guessing how the story evolved. It is a very masterful way to tell a story and connect the reader.

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire Tate  (limeadeinmyteacup) | 61 comments It was interesting how both time periods had strong content on the roles of women too. Charlie couldn't even get at her own money and was frowned upon as unmarried and pregnant. Eve couldn't be a solider yet was sought out as a spy. How would The Alice Network work without women?