Reasoning about Uncertainty Reasoning about Uncertainty discussion

Reasoning about Uncertainty

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by TK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TK Keanini There are a lot of key concepts in this book that cross disciplines. I'm not on a deadline and I'm taking each section word by word as I try and understand what Halpern is communicating. Some of the mathematical notion is at the edge of my abilities so I'm only moving as fast as I can compute the concepts. Anyone interested in this discussion? It would be great to have a transdisciplinary discussion so don't feel like you need to be all-knowing to participate.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Do we have to read the book, which will likely make me cry, or can you relate some ideas and have us tell you they're wrong?

message 3: by TK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TK Keanini I going to assume that you are generally interested.

The question this book is addressing is: How should uncertainty be represented? Numbers aren't always available, even when they are, they have to be of relatively like terms.

This book considers many methods in a point and counter-point format: sets of probability measures, Dumpster-Shafer belief functions, possiblity measures, and ranking functions. All of these above are numberic. The non-numberic is also discussed and that would inlcude plasibility measures.

Reading text on any one of these domains is interesting but not as interesting as when someone puts them all side by side and you can see the advantages and disadvantages for yourself.
--tk

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm aware of the basics of uncertainty, what with calculus and stuff (sets), but the rest of this is so far over my head, it's kind of extra-atmospheric and threatening to completely leave the weak gravity of my head and fly off into outer space.

message 5: by TK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TK Keanini The math is challenging for me but the author is careful to explain things. The problem I've had with traditional books is that they don't give you the larger picture: when to use one method over the other.

He has another book called Reasoning about Knowledge which is on my list to read.
--TK