Reading 1001 discussion

Growth of the Soil
This topic is about Growth of the Soil
1001 book reviews > Growth of the Soil

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (last edited Sep 08, 2019 12:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
A story of a homesteader in the wilds of Norway, was written in 1917, original title Markens Grode by Knut Hamsun. The book I read was translated by W.W. Wooster. I enjoyed reading this book, which made me feel like I was talking to people from the old country. The translation was not so English as to feel like you were reading a book written in the US. I found it fascinating to read this book of a successful homesteader who acquires livestock, tills more and more land, acquires a wife and then children and is so steady and calm. I also thought it was interesting to read about how their oldest son never quite learned how to leave home but was supported by his parents until he was quite an adult. This book won the author the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1920. The author's reputation was tarnished by his support of Nazi Germany. Read 2010

Diane Zwang | 1289 comments Mod
5 stars for me too. Read in 2015

“Isak leaves his village to clear a homestead and raise a family amid the untilled tracts of the Norwegian backcountry”.

This lovely story ticked a lot of boxes for me; family, relationships, coming of age, beautiful scenery, religion and of course land. A family story about the complexities and simplicities of farm life in Norway. “Nothing grows here? Everything grows here, man and beast and fruit of the soil”.