Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Please add this short story: Interlude with the Undead

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy (bookup) | 4 comments Hello! I tried to add this myself but I keep getting a "page not found" message when I click on "create book". Dunno why. So thanks in advance.

* Title: Interlude with the Undead
* Series: Vampire Chronicles 1.5
* Author(s) name(s): Anne Rice
* Publisher: Playboy
* Publication date: January 1979
* Format: short story in a magazine, but it can be found here http://kilagan.tripod.com/dwellers/in...

* Description: The author of "Interview with the Vampire" reveals for the first time an all-too-human aspect of her singular subject.

In the book, "Interview with the Vampire," Louis, who has been a member of the living dead for some 200 years, tells the story of his life to the interviewer, a young radio reporter in San Francisco.

But the book as published represents only a portion of the tapes of that interview made by the reporter. Louis told the young man much that was not included, particularly with regard to the master vampire, Armand, whom he had met in Paris. One tale was Armand's account of his methods of seduction; that is, the art of the vampire at its peak in the year 1876.

* Link to book page which includes the cover: since this was a short story on a magazine, there's no cover. Unless you wanna use the magazine cover for it? It can be found here (WARNING one of the pics is nsfw): https://www.vintageplayboymags.co.uk/...

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13197 comments It appears that the website has "published" it in an unofficial capacity and did not necessarily have the right to do so. This would not classify it as a book on Goodreads.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy (bookup) | 4 comments Can't you add it without the link, then? The story exists and it was published, as you can see in the other link I added and wikipedia has it listed too. Harry Potter has the "prequel" short story listed in the series and that was a piece of paper that Rowling gave for charity. Only one copy exists and people also read it from transcripts, nobody has the rights to it either, and yet the description says "The story can be found online".

message 4: by Emily (last edited Sep 08, 2019 11:43AM) (new)

Emily | 13197 comments Short stories published only in magazines (or online magazines) are not books per Goodreads definition. Here's the policy if you're interested:
https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...

Short stories with ISBNs (physical or ebook) or ASINs (Kindle) are considered valid records for Goodreads.
The Harry Potter story has a valid ISBN since it was officially published. A couple of the entries on the record need editing and/or merging so I will do that now.

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy (bookup) | 4 comments I did read the policy, but I thought it could be out of date or something so I had to check here. Because for example, lots of series have short stories linked to author's blogs where they published a short story for their series just as gifts for fans. Those definitely do NOT have ISBN/ASIN. Are those "illegal" submissions, so to speak? (Not trying to argue, genuinely asking because I'm very confused right now.)

message 6: by Emily (last edited Sep 08, 2019 12:14PM) (new)

Emily | 13197 comments If the author publishes a story on their blog/website, it counts as published provided it does not require a login to access it. (Stories published only on Patreon do not count for example.)

Sometimes authors send out stories to their fan email list or as a gift for pre-ordering another book. These don't count as books on Goodreads because they aren't available without being a "subscriber" or available to view/purchase separately from the pre-order.

If stories later get published individually for anyone to buy or view online (on the author's or publisher's website), or as physical books, then they can be books on Goodreads.

Lots of people (either wittingly or unwittingly) add short stories or magazine articles that do not count as books, and librarians will delete or merge them as they come across them.

It is always fine to ask for clarification on any particular book/short story in this group.