James Mustich's 1000 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
2019 - Group Reads Archive > The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - September 2019

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marlise (last edited Apr 24, 2020 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 144 comments This is another one I read a few years back. I'll be listening in to any comments, and I might join in if I can remember enough to say something halfway intelligent.

I remember really enjoying this book as I was reading it, but for some reason, the further away from it in time I got, the less of an impact it seemed to have. I still don't have a good reason for why that is. But I know a lot of other folks list this as one of their favorites.

I do remember one character's description--maybe it was Clay...something about he always looked as if he'd just been jumped for his lunch money. I thought that was pretty good--must have been for me to still remember it all these years later.

message 3: by Janet (last edited Sep 26, 2019 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janet I just finished rereading it. I kind of agree with Bryan. I remember loving it the first time, but in a lot of ways it didn't leave a lasting impression - I had managed to completely forget the second half of the book. Maybe it is because it is has so many related themes packed in. They were competing for my attention, and I ended up not focusing on any of them.

But I did love it, both times. I especially enjoyed learning about comic books, their lowly origins and the respect that they deserve.

Is Kavalier is based on a particular artist? I don't know that much about the major players, so I can't tell.

This makes me want track down a copy of Scott McCloud's terrific book Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art. I stupidly lent my copy to someone, and of course never got it back.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 144 comments I think Kavalier and Clay were meant to be sort of an amalgamation. There were a ton of Jewish creators in the comic business--

Stan Lee was first Stan Lieber--he's probably the one comic creator that most people are familiar with

Jack Kirby and Joe Simon--creators of Captain America--were both Jewish.

Bill Finger and Bob Kane--creators of Batman--were both Jewish.

Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel--creators of Superman--were both Jewish

Based on what I remember from the book and what I know of these creators, I'd say that K & C were based on bits of all of them.

Andrea | Facciponte Design Bookshelf (faccipontedesignshelf) | 6 comments I have to admit that in my senior year of high school, I chose this for a major project and used spark notes. I am so glad I finally took the time to actually read this unique book.

I enjoy super hero movies but I wouldn't consider myself a big comic book fan. However, it was interesting to read about how the business ran and how artists/writers competed with each-other. I'm currently reading a biography on Walt Disney, and there are many similarities among the comic book and cartoon world when it comes to the competition, creative, and financial components.

James Mustich's 1000 Books to Read Before You Die

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art (other topics)