YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Archive > October Sign up

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Sep 07, 2019 11:12PM) (new)

Brittany | 4404 comments Mod
Time for the sign up for October! This will be open until September 30th with pairs being made October 1st.

There are actually a bunch of special days this month that I had no idea about. But the main theme for this month has to be SPOOKY . Go with whatever that means to you but for ideas any horror or thriller style book would work. If that's not your thing books that include witches or cults, paranormal creatures, really whatever you can think of. Be creative but try to stick with the spooky fun that is the month of October.

Rules:
Comment that you are IN before September 30th.
Give at least 3 recommendations to your partner, for this month try to stick to the theme in some way for all your recs.
Do your best to read one of the recs given to you and come back here and comment on it!

message 2: by Brittany (new)

I'm in!

message 3: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 582 comments I'm in!

message 4: by Sneha (new)

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments I'm in!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments I’m in!

message 6: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2127 comments Mod
Oooh I'm in on this one! I love spooky stuff!

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Liliana wrote: "Oooh I'm in on this one! I love spooky stuff!"

I was hoping you would join on this one Lili!

message 8: by chlo ❋ (new)

chlo ❋ (chloeardd) I’m in!

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth (coffee114) | 130 comments I'm in!

message 10: by Luiza (new)

Luiza (luminatelli) I’m in

message 11: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 677 comments In!

message 12: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1841 comments Mod
I'm in :)

message 13: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments I'm in!

message 14: by Sanja (new)

Sanja | 29 comments I'm in!

message 15: by Faith (new)

Faith Felice I'm in!

message 16: by Brittany (new)

As there is an odd number of us pick for the person under you, so Kay pics for Chloe, Chloe for Beth and so on. Sanja you will pick for Kayleigh

Kayleigh
Chloe
Beth
Heather - mod
Laura
Brittany
Faith
Heather
Luiza
Sneha
Lili
Teodora
Sanja

message 17: by Brittany (new)

Faith are there any genres you do not enjoy or anywhere you would like me to start looking for recs?

Laura, for me I will read pretty much anything, not a huge sci-fi fan still. I'd love to read something creepy this month as its been awhile for me. I either have to already own it or get it from the library so if its a brand new release it can take awhile for me to get to it. Looking forward to what you give me!

message 18: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Teodora, is there anything you don't like or anything you want to see? I've taken a peek at your shelves, so I've already got some ideas! 😏

As for me, Sneha, I love horror and thrillers, so really, anything goes! I do tend to read more YA than adult though.

message 19: by Sneha (new)

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments Luiza, I will read anything (except adult)(:

And Lili, I am still deciding for your recs but I will tell you soon(:

message 20: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments Omg Lili I'd love you to surprise me with anything you have in mind as long as it's unputdownable!

Sanja dear, is there anything you'd like in particular or you can't stand to read so I could put something together for you?

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth (coffee114) | 130 comments Heather,

I hope you don't mind but I went rogue and picked some that weren't on your tbr list. Here are my recs! (Sorry, I'm not too much into spooky books, so I went with thriller/suspense for a couple).

1. Coraline by Neil Gaiman
2. The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
3. The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
4. Carrie by Stephen King
5. Bird Box (Bird Box, #1) by Josh Malerman

Hope you like the picks! I liked them so I think you will too.

message 22: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Okay Teodora, here are my recs:

Paranormal: Obviously I'm gonna recommend some Shadowhunters 😉 It's my favorite! And I picked these just in case you're not in the mood for thrillers/horror. But there are plenty of supernatural creatures in these books! And you don't necessarily have to read one before the other, but if you want to be safe and go by the reading order, I'd suggest you start with City of Bones. But they are both great!

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare

Mystery/Thriller: I read this one last year and it was so good!! I liked the mystery and it had some really crazy plot twists I did not see coming!

Final Girls by Riley Sager

Horror: Have you seen the movie The Ring? That movie and this book are based on the same legend! I love that movie! I also love The Girl from the Well... It's really creepy! It's been a hot minute since I read this series, but I loved the sequel even more! The entire series is great as a whole though!

The Girl from the Well (The Girl from the Well, #1) by Rin Chupeco

And here are some other options I haven't personally read, but they are on my tbr list! They're both mystery/thrillers:

One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1) by Karen M. McManus The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

message 23: by Laura ☾ (last edited Oct 02, 2019 11:52PM) (new)

Laura ☾ | 582 comments @ Brittany I picked some from your TBR that I think fit the theme!

Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #2) by Kerri Maniscalco - I haven't actually read this but heard good things!

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1) by Victoria Schwab I haven't read this one yet but it's supposed to be good - and should fit the spooky/creepy vibe!

Also one that's not on your TBR but I've been reading and it has witches in it!
Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1) by Shelby Mahurin

message 24: by HeatherH (new)

HeatherH (bkwrm85) | 677 comments For Luiza:

Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1) by Shelby Mahurin - I'm reading this now and it is full of witches and wonderful writing!

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor - This is one of my absolute favorite series and features some pretty cool monsters.

The Archived (The Archived, #1) by Victoria Schwab - I haven't read this one, it is actually on my October list as well, but the ghostly themes seem a good fit for the spooky theme of the month.

message 25: by Sneha (new)

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments I have not read these but they sounded good. So Lili, here are your recs:
My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
#Murdertrending (MurderTrending, #1) by Gretchen McNeil
There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater , I have read this and it's one of my fav books. So I think you will really like it:)
The Chain by Adrian McKinty
Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

I know most of them are not on your TBR but I think you will really like these:)

message 26: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments Lili you are a genius and I love those books you picked up for me! I've been trying to start The Mortal Instruments eons ago but never got the chance 😂

message 27: by Teodora (new)

Teodora  | 359 comments Now, for you Sanja, I really do have some options that might interest you.

First of all I have some YA Fantasy that gets a bit dark
-This one I've read at the begining of the year and I actually loved it
Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi

- Also got for you some historical YA fantasy that is linked with my national history. I haven't read it but I do want to because I am super curious and I think it still sticks to the theme because it is somehow linked with our ruler Vlad Tepes who is the man behind the Dracula myth (so, Halloween-y vampire)
And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1) by Kiersten White

- I've got Paranormal fiction too (haven't read but I did read some great reviews of it)
The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1) by Laurie Forest

And of course I have some mystery/thriller books for you that I've read and I've loved
- First one is a thriller that had that great element of surprise and that great feeling of suspense that I really loved and made me stay awake at night to read on
Lock Every Door by Riley Sager

- And the second one is a classic that I do recommend to everyone who want to try it, is one of my all-time favourite mystery books
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

I didn't know if you are into horror so I haven't add anything scary, only spooky and a bit dark 😉

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Beth wrote: "Heather,

I hope you don't mind but I went rogue and picked some that weren't on your tbr list. Here are my recs! (Sorry, I'm not too much into spooky books, so I went with thriller/suspense for a ..."

Hey Beth! I am not much into horror myself but adored Misery by Stephen King when I was younger so I am kind of looking forward to Carrie!

I will let you know once I get to it. I am sooo very far behind in my reading.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Hey Laura!

When i cruised over to your profile, the first thing I noticed was...GIRL!! You are WAY ahead on your yearly reading challenge! CONGRATS to you!!!!

I am not a huge fan of the horror genre but more a paranormal/dystopian fan. The books I chose are a little spooky but not enough to make your heart stop. I hope you can choose and enjoy at least one. Have fun!

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman Unnatural Creatures by Neil Gaiman White Stag (Permafrost, #1) by Kara Barbieri

I have read Scythe & White Stag and loved both of them. Unnatural Creatures just seemed like a good "halloween" type book.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Beth wrote: "Heather,

I hope you don't mind but I went rogue and picked some that weren't on your tbr list. Here are my recs! (Sorry, I'm not too much into spooky books, so I went with thriller/suspense for a ..."

Hey Beth!

I adored Misery by S. King when I was younger so I am very much looking forward to Carrie!! Thanks for the rec! I will get to it soon, I hope...I am soooo far behind in my reading:)

message 31: by Brittany (last edited Oct 03, 2019 11:05AM) (new)

Laura ☾ wrote: "@ Brittany I picked some from your TBR that I think fit the theme!

Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #2) by Kerri Maniscalco - I haven't actually read this but heard good things!

[bookcover:This Savage Song|..."

Thanks Laura! Those definitely fit the theme. Problem is library doesn't have any of them on ebook or audio. Might have hardcopies though so I will check that out later :) If there is one I'll see if I like Hunting Prince Dracula better than the first one!

message 32: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Sneha wrote: "I have not read these but they sounded good. So Lili, here are your recs:
My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
#Murdertrending (MurderTrending, #1) by Gretchen McNeil
[bookcover:There's Someone Inside Your ..."

Ooooh great picks! My Best Friend's Exorcism and #murdertrending are actually both on my tbr list! And I read There's Someone Inside Your House last year and... I didn't like it all that much 🙈 lol. I will look up the other three though, and then see what strikes my mood! Thanks girl!

message 33: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Teodora wrote: "Lili you are a genius and I love those books you picked up for me! I've been trying to start The Mortal Instruments eons ago but never got the chance 😂"

It is my mission in life to get everyone to read TMI 😉 Lol. If you do read a Shadowhunters book I hope you enjoy it! I just really love this world!

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth (coffee114) | 130 comments heather - NightlyReading wrote: "Beth wrote: "Heather,

I hope you don't mind but I went rogue and picked some that weren't on your tbr list. Here are my recs! (Sorry, I'm not too much into spooky books, so I went with thriller/su..."

Awesome! I hope you like it! Stephen King is one heck of an author, and Carrie is one of his better books. Hope you enjoy!

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ali Thx beth

message 36: by Brittany (new)

Faith, as I havent heard from you here's some picks I hope you will like.
The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1) by Luanne G. Smith Not YA but it is on your tbr and looks interesting. As it is witch filled it fits the theme for the month.

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter Loved this series and with zombies it is fitting for an October read

Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen M. McManus a well done YA thriller

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White I haven't read it yet but I plan on reading it this month. A Frankenstein retelling is absolutely perfect October reading.

Hope you find something you like here, if not I can always come up with more.

message 37: by Brittany (new)

I know there are some people who haven't made it back here yet, I'll send out messages and if in the next few days I get no word I will make picks for those of you in need of some.

message 38: by Sneha (new)

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments I already sent a message to Luiza and she has not been active since Wedesday.

message 39: by Luiza (new)

Luiza (luminatelli) Sneha,
Sorry for the delay, I lost my phone.
Here are some suggestions:
- A Darker Shade of Magic (V.E Schwab) > shows a dark view about magic and the world is amazing.
- The Black Witch (Laurie Forest) > imagine hogwarts but with all type of beings (witchs, demons, elfs)
- White Raven (J.L Weil) > girl discover a life that was hidden from her, has a love triangle and is a easy reading.
Hope you enjoy 😉

message 40: by Sneha (new)

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments Thanks you so much Luiza :)

message 41: by Brittany (new)

Sorry to hear that you lost your phone Luiza!

message 42: by Beth (new)

Beth (coffee114) | 130 comments I haven't gotten mine yet OTL

message 43: by Sneha (new)

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments I think I'm gonna start White Raven.

message 44: by Faith (new)

Faith Felice Heather,
I love paranormal, fantasy ya or other and some mystery books. I enjoyed Night Circus as it was weird. I also enjoyed the searching for series by Kerri Maniscalo. I have not read the latest book.

Brittany wrote: "As there is an odd number of us pick for the person under you, so Kay pics for Chloe, Chloe for Beth and so on. Sanja you will pick for Kayleigh

Kayleigh
Chloe
Beth
Heather - mod
Laura
Brittany
Fa..."

message 45: by Brittany (new)

So Faith, your picks were done by me above. You need to pick for Heather.

message 46: by Brittany (new)

Beth wrote: "I haven't gotten mine yet OTL"

Hopefully soon! I'll give it a little longer otherwise I'll give you some :)

message 47: by chlo ❋ (new)

chlo ❋ (chloeardd) Beth wrote: "I haven't gotten mine yet OTL"

Sorry Beth! I didn't see the message until today, midterms have been crazy! But I'm about to look at your profile, give me just a few!

message 48: by chlo ❋ (new)

chlo ❋ (chloeardd) Beth,

I looked through your TBR and picked some books I hope you'll enjoy!

Wilder Girls - I am starting this book this week, and I'm so excited to start it. I've heard nothing but positive things, and I think it's the perfect read for October!

Dark Places - Not YA, but my favorite book by this author! I saw that Sharp Objects was on your TBR, so I looked through your Read books and did not see this books. While Sharp Objects is very good, this book is by far the better of the two in my opinion, and a much better way to get into Gillian Flynn!

It - Also, definitely not YA, but I saw it in your TBR, and I can't recommend books in the month of October without a Stephen King book! This is definitely one of the best Stephen King books I've read, and it has a great movie adaptation to watch after.

message 49: by Beth (new)

Beth (coffee114) | 130 comments Awesome! Thanks, Chloe! I just grabbed Dark Places off the shelf and I'm going to start when I get off work! It looks so interesting!

message 50: by Faith (new)

Faith Felice Brittany wrote: "Faith are there any genres you do not enjoy or anywhere you would like me to start looking for recs?

Brittany,
I do not like horror. I do love Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Historical fiction in particular Renaissance, Edwardian, Victorian and early 20th century. I love Kerri Maniscalo's takes on the bad guys of history and looking forward to reading the 4 installment.

Laura, for me I will read pretty much anything, not a huge sci-fi fan still. I'd love to read ..."

« previous 1