Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Brakedrum's August Read

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Well, because of as busy month, I only read one book.
Roughing It by Mark Twain(NF)
Before Twain became famous, he took a trip out west with his brother on a stagecoach from St. Jo to Carson City in the Nevada territory. He took on several jobs: mining a silver mine(failed), smelting silver(left after one day), laid a claim to another mine in hopes of selling his claim, only to find he missed his opportunity. He also was a reporter for a local paper, but became tired of just publishing legal notices of claims, so he quit. He then wrote freelance human interest stories, but he lived in poverty. He then traveled to San Francisco where he worked for another paper. He then was offered to write a story on the Sandwich Islands(Hawaiian Islands). When he returns he heads onto a lecture circuit where he finds success. They loved his description of his travels and his satire.
It was an enjoyable read and even more due to the recent ride I took out west thru the same terrain.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Lorraine:
Your recent ride "west" was worthwhile on so many levels, and the tying in of the history in books you have read with the real life trails and roads is just fabulous!
Our city has just kicked off a multi month Mark Twain event tying in theater, art, film and other media as well as his literary heritage now through next May 2010. I look forward to learning a lot more about him. http://twainandtwang.org/

Brakedrum wrote: "Well, because of as busy month, I only read one book.
Roughing It by Mark Twain(NF)
Before Twain became famous, he took a trip out west with his brother on a stagecoach from St. Jo to Carson City in the Nevada territory. He took on several jobs: mining a silver mine(failed), smelting silver(left after one day), laid a claim to another mine in hopes of selling his claim, only to find he missed his opportunity. He also was a reporter for a local paper, but became tired of just publishing legal notices of claims, so he quit. He then wrote freelance human interest stories, but he lived in poverty. He then traveled to San Francisco where he worked for another paper. He then was offered to write a story on the Sandwich Islands(Hawaiian Islands). When he returns he heads onto a lecture circuit where he finds success. They loved his description of his travels and his satire.
It was an enjoyable read and even more due to the recent ride I took out west thru the same terrain.
"

message 3: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Ann wrote: "Lorraine:
Your recent ride "west" was worthwhile on so many levels, and the tying in of the history in books you have read with the real life trails and roads is just fabulous!
Our city has just..."

Ann, I'm sure you will enjoy the Twain event. I was surprised to learn on the net that he had a daughter, the only child he had to survive into adulthood. She became an opera singer, found fame in Europe, but was tired of being known as Twain's daughter in the States. She married another opera singer, had one child, a daughter. The daughter ended up being a drug/alchoholic and died in 1962 leaving no heirs. At the end of his travels to Sandwich Islands, he gave a lecture in Virginia City, Nevada and stayed for awhile at Cold Springs station. I have a pic of the ruins in the link.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Lorraine:
I didn't know that either. I hope the city-wide Mark Twain event will be illuminating!
Brakedrum wrote: "I was surprised to learn on the net that he had a daughter, the only child he had to survive into adulthood. She became an opera singer, found fame in Europe, but was tired of being known as Twain's daughter in the States. "