Jane Austen discussion

Fan Fiction/Continuations > Susan Kaye novels (spoiler)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Meredith brought up the Susan Kaye fan fiction novels based on Persuasion. Any member thoughts on these novels?

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (merry816) | 41 comments Having now finished the two books, I can post here! I loved the idea of going so indepth into Captain Wentworth's character and I think Susan Kaye did a terrific job of it. I love that she did not alter the story plot or the characters too much.

My first impression was that all the navy talk was boring and that I wanted to get to the good stuff (where he returns to Kellynch). But I soon realized that the chapters about the Navy were vital and that they added to his character depiction. My only complaint is the ending, Ms. Kaye had the freedom to write anything she wanted and I was disappointed with what she came up with.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Meredith

Would you reccomend these books to someone who thinks Persuasion is the best of Austen's works? When you say that the ending is disappointing, well, I know how it should end..... Would you read it again? Will I hate it? (My library doesn't have it, so I'll have to request it.) Thanks!

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (merry816) | 41 comments Jeannette wrote: "Hi Meredith

Would you reccomend these books to someone who thinks Persuasion is the best of Austen's works? When you say that the ending is disappointing, well, I know how it should end..... W..."

Jeannette, I would definitely recommend these books to you. You get such wonderful insight to Captain Wentworth's character as well see the story of Persuasion from his eyes. When I say I didn't like the ending, I mean I didn't like what Ms. Kaye added to the original story (their marriage scene) and that consisted only of a chapter and a halfof the second book. So the majority of the book was fantastic, it was just a small part of it that disappointed me. I have reviews of both of them posted here if you wanted to read more about what I thought. I gave the first book 5 stars and the second 4 stars.

Yes, I would read them again, I know she is writing a third book and I am eager to read that too. I had to by my books as well, and I am glad I did. She did an excellent job and I fell in love with Captain Wentworth all over again!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Meredith! I will definitely buy the first one. My husband enjoys all the Austen films and he read all of the Master & Commander books, so maybe he'll like these books, too!

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (merry816) | 41 comments Great! I hope you and your husband enjoy it!

message 7: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (last edited Sep 14, 2009 06:29AM) (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
****Possible Spoilers*************

This was one set of novels that really puzzled me. I remember finding the first, None But You, really early on and enjoyed it and thought it was beautifully written and a nice retelling. So I waited for the release of the second, which was delayed. The second novel didn't capture what the first did.

I really believe the ending strayed too far from the original characters as Austen created them. Kaye wrote Ann as developing fear and anxiety about Wentworth and that part seemed to take over the ending.

Austen's original Anne and Wentworth were much more harmonious than that -- their understanding of each other which led to their reunion is the power of this famous couple. I just can't see that after conquering 8 years of misunderstanding and obstacles, Anne would hold the uncertain thoughts portrayed by Kaye. The final scene showed Anne as actually an unconvincingly meek character. Which made me ask, what was this book even about?

message 8: by Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (last edited Sep 15, 2009 08:05AM) (new)

Meredith (Austenesque Reviews) (merry816) | 41 comments Hi Sarah,

I read the books fairly close together, maybe one or two in between them. I did love the second book though, except for the ending. The second book has all the great scenes with Wentworth in Bath, the Musgroves in Bath, the concert, the letter. It had all my favorite scenes out of Persuasion so how could I not like that aspect of it? I also liked the scenes added by Susan Kaye: the meeting between Wentworth and Lady Russell when he wants to give Anne a letter, his visit to his brother's house, etc.

But I do agree that through the ending, the characters were altered a little. Anne as you described, was meek and I really felt that after reading a letter like Captain Wentworth's letter, she would have showed a little emotion. I know she is reserved and calm, but a letter like that, that made all her dreams come true, I would think that would warrant an outside display of emotions on some scale.

What are your thoughts?

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill (bill_bee) | 81 comments Hi Sarah, I can see that I will have to do a little reading to catch up with this group discussion. Maybe I will join you all on your next selection instead. But reading the posts, I am now interested in the books.