Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > October 2019 LIMITED Nominations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Sep 14, 2019 06:49AM) (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2312 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for LIMITED category for October 2019.

LIMITED books are books that are unlikely to be available to all members. Typically these will be Indie books, but can also include books available only as ebook or from a single vendor. The general rule of thumb is if it doesn’t qualify for READER, then it should fit into LIMITED.

Must be
* currently in print in at least one format, either ebook or physical book. Requiring a special order from a store or website counts, but not if the book is only available used.
* Books posted to be read online count.
* Kindle Unlimited books count.
* Space Opera, which means a spaceship has to be involved in the story somewhere.
* If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series.
* Please no blatantly erotic books, as some of our members are not full adults yet.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

I nominate Bob's Saucer Repair (Bob and Nikki, #1) by Jerry Boyd Bob's Saucer Repair by Jerry Boyd. Flying saucers count as spaceships, right? This story is light hearted and funny, and I enjoyed it very much.

message 3: by James (new)

James McLellan | 12 comments I'd like to nominate Cradle of the Sun by James McLellan. It's an attempt to take an old-fashioned larger than life adventure story and tell it in space (in this case around a neutron star)

message 4: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

James wrote: "I'd like to nominate Cradle of the Sun by James McLellan. It's an attempt to take an old-fashioned larger than life adventure story and tell it in space (in this case around a neutron star)"

That book is marked as third in the series. Does it work as an entry point to the series? If not please change your nomination to the first book.

message 5: by James (new)

James McLellan | 12 comments All of the books in the series are standalone stories in the same universe.

message 6: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far:
Bob's Saucer Repair (Bob and Nikki, #1) by Jerry Boyd Bob's Saucer Repair by Jerry Boyd. Nominated by Teresa. Awaiting seconds.
Cradle of the Sun (Colony #3) by James McLellan Cradle of the Sun by James McLellan. Nominated by James. Awaiting seconds.

message 7: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations will close on the 22nd. Unless a book is seconded, we won’t have a pick for this category.

message 8: by Debrac2014 (new)

Debrac2014 | 48 comments I'll second Cradle off the Sun!

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed. Our pick is Cradle of the Sun.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.