Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Ascendant's Rite [May 10, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jan 05, 2020 02:47PM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Ascendant's Rite - David Hair
Ascendant's Rite (Moontide Quartet, #4) by David Hair
May 10, 2020.
Requested by Siobhan and Zaara.

message 2: by Zaara (last edited May 22, 2020 09:36AM) (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Thanks Jenna.
Ready when you guys are...frankly, I can't wait.
(view spoiler)

In fact, I am already thinking forward to when I would reread this series and it is my fondest (view spoiler) wish to do so with my incredible (view spoiler) friends in this group, Shost and Ghivorn...😂😜

Btw, there's still more than two weeks for the start date...so I hope @Chris returns to the threads soon,
Lannissstaaaaarr I made huuuge Book 3 logs and spoilers for you...aaaaaarrrive.......

Also I know Choko and Mayim already loved the series but here is something for "the dude who was a maybe"...thank you excellent Barry for trusting and staying with us and giving these books a chance...I am sure the last instalment will be epic and hope TOGETHAAR we will see (view spoiler)

message 3: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7570 comments (view spoiler)

message 4: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments I’ll be here although I hated the previous book.

message 5: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I will be here with bells on◉‿◉

message 6: by Zaara (last edited Apr 21, 2020 01:56PM) (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Really? I thought the first half of 1 was the weakest but he loved the first two...book 3 (view spoiler) and is generally considered the weakest of the lot but so many of us still found it a very bingey read and I just posted huge essays for all the chars...😂

Its not the most profound series you will read but it is very far from the worst!

EDIT BOOOOOOOOOH, I will now go read his review....😂😂😂

message 7: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Mayim wrote: "I’ll be here although I hated the previous book."

Haha, I wrote a couole of my spoilers with you in mind May (NB esp see the one with the "eerie mirroring" of ElKaz and Ron-Ita)...I wrote that point esp for you!

message 8: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7570 comments Zaara wrote: "Really? I thought the first half of 1 was the weakest but he loved the first two...book 3 [spoilers removed] and is generally considered the weakest of the lot but so many of us still found it a ve..."

Defo read it!! It made my skin crawl. 🤣

message 9: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Just read it...haha...he went white hot on the scathe factor!!
The sex scenes really weren't more than 30 pages in 800 all told, but I guess they really got Petrik good. I barely remember more than a general annoyance over all the "Phlegm" and babies.
Also read Scott and Barry's reviews, please.

message 10: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7570 comments Zaara wrote: "Just read it...haha...he went white hot on the scathe factor!!
The sex scenes really weren't more than 30 pages in 800 all told, but I guess they really got Petrik good. I barely remember more than..."

OK will do! XD

message 11: by Zaara (last edited Apr 24, 2020 10:25AM) (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Petrik like Spiderman has great power...that nipple-flower thing is almost a GR-wide meme now or soon will be....😂😂😂 and hey Siobhan, he wrote a uberhormonal spoofy screenplay in the comments which is gold 💰💰💰...but only chk it if you don't mind megaspoils!

Naaaah.... I guess I was just sad that day that there were these dudes who ignored the praise Petrik gave of the other books and immediately decided he will abandon any thought of this series.
And to be very fair to the author, the "nipples like flowers" thing was a single throwaway nonplot/not a spoiler deliberately cringeworthy comment to make a boyish, petulant boyking sound...well, boyish and petulant.
All the other stuff tho....

I'm chill really but just feel (for me) now I will be hyperconscious of the sex (if any) in this one....😂😜😈

MAYIM of course, will still read this one with us.....*whistles*

message 12: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments I will! I really hope the previous one was a sad lapse in quality.

message 13: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments See, once again I am questioning if I am a normal person, because those things didn't bother me. Just as Zaara said, I thought they were purposely there to add to the character's portrayal. Also, those are descriptions typical for traditional Hindu erotica from centuries ago and having in mind how much of the way the author tells the story is an homage to those traditions, I took it as just another nod to them... Not for a second did I think that those expressions had anything to do with the author's personal opinions or beliefs...

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Ohh it’s May 10. I thought it’s May 1. Well, I might start this one really early then haha.

message 15: by Zaara (last edited Apr 29, 2020 09:16AM) (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Barry wrote: "Ohh it’s May 10. I thought it’s May 1. Well, I might start this one really early then haha."

😂 O haha Barry, yea May 10, and we will be along soon. Same thing happened for Manifest Delusions, by the time I came to post you were four books ahead and I lost my nerve to post bcuz there was nobody else.

Mayim wrote: "I will! I really hope the previous one was a sad lapse in quality."

Amen...and may the bells in alllll the Dom Al Ahms across the Shadsmar ring....

message 16: by Zaara (last edited Apr 29, 2020 09:22AM) (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Choko wrote: "See, once again I am questioning if I am a normal person, because those things didn't bother me. Just as Zaara said, I thought they were purposely there to add to the character's portrayal. Also, t..."

Heh no Choc, nothing wrong with you... look at the ratings, we are actually representing the mainstream viewpoint here...😂😂😂 vs this claaaarsy duo of opinion leaders... *KICK*

Don't secondguess yourself. You went thru a lot and understood what is ephemeral and I learned late and at a big cost to not be a pushover and not to doubt myself or my instincts too much :(

Yup 😂 go deep enough into those esoteric studies and you will know there is not much difference/more to a nipple than there is to say, the inside of the wrist.. but if they didn't read the source material they wouldn't see what we saw or what we bypassed/overlooked. This cannot be said or explained. It is felt.

But I think you know that page for page there is more sex in ASOIAF, and the author doesn't even respect us enough to complete the series. Still we forgave him so much.

I DID anticipaxpect Book 3 to be the weakest book in the series, but I must say this one "provoked" the best buddy read, ppl ... 😃💪😘 so polarized, one person compared it to (part of) Malazan...

Btw @Choc @Mayim I too found the (view spoiler) I swear I thought of you, May Mamba when I read the scene (actually it was only a line)...

But there was much more than sexcraze in this book, is all I'm saying.

message 17: by Barry (last edited May 04, 2020 04:07AM) (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Choko wrote: "See, once again I am questioning if I am a normal person, because those things didn't bother me. Just as Zaara said, I thought they were purposely there to add to the character's portrayal. Also, t..."
I didn't know that flowery nipples were used a lot in Hindu erotica. Well, this author definitely pays a lot of homage to Hindu / Indian cultures.

Re: sex scenes
I dunno if there were more in ASOIAF, but I thought the sex scenes in this series were more cringe-worthy to me anyway. But, I just skipped those scenes. Didn't really change the plot that much anyway.

Btw, I will be starting tomorrow.

message 18: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments I'll be late. I'm in the wandering in now. :)

message 19: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I might be a tad late too...

message 20: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 7

And surprise surprise NO sex scenes so far! The focus is back on the political and military maneuverings, so yeah back to the interesting things.

message 21: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Barry, this sounds promising!

message 22: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Zaara, you are right, we are totally mainstream here, hahahaha! And you know that is weird, because we are anything but mainstream in reality!!! ♥️

message 23: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 16

Unfortunately there’s now one explicit sex scene. But, overall the plot is still focused on the looming military battles. Overall, the pacing is more enjoyable. Though, I dunno how he’s gonna wrap up these seemingly unconnected threads together at the end.

Cym
(view spoiler)

Dokken
(view spoiler)

Ramon
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments @Barry...well mostly I meant the flowery language 😂 but I am glad to note this one picks up more...

@Choc and May, I will start on time...no worries, I am slower than both of you.

message 25: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 41

So far the convergences have been pretty exciting. (view spoiler)

message 26: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Done.

Oveall, I thought this was the best of the quartet. When the book and the series really focused on the wars, the political maneuverings, they shone. There were still a few cringe-worthy moments, mostly related to when two characters are having sex or professing their awkward love to each other. But, thankfully those moments were rare in this book.

The endings were satisfying. Most of the loose ends were tied up by the end. I could only think of 1 loose end that wasn't tied up (and I understand there's a sequel quartet?)": (view spoiler)

Ramita
(view spoiler)

Scytale
(view spoiler)

message 27: by Zaara (last edited May 11, 2020 10:20PM) (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Started...just fifteen mins in...just the prologue...its good and has the same "energy" as the Book 1 prologue...not in the twist but in the ominousness!
Gosh, (view spoiler)
You know what?
It will be so cool if the series ends on the Crone standing lone in the middle of strewn debris just as it began with her...did I say how I (view spoiler)... but somehow I guess we all know where this is going...
*grins* DONT MIND SOME OLD FASHIONED GOOD GUYS WIN STUFF!

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 988 comments Hey guys, I'm about halfway through the audio book but haven't had time to listen in a few days. This one doesn't seem to be holding my attention as much as the others either. I don't know if it's because I read the others all back to back or if it's just this one isn't as interesting.

message 29: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Just started. I am glad we didn't wait too long, because I would have forgotten all the characters names...

message 30: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Up to Ch 9... Well, it is just as engaging as the rest of the books. I really prefer the political intrigue above all else, but I am liking the character growth as well. There are still things that bug me, but they are mostly just decisions some of the players are making, which I am sure is what the author wants us to feel...

message 31: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Up to Ch 14... (view spoiler)

message 32: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Up to Ch. 32... You know, after we got away from the more whining characters, which was about half way into the book, this has been a non-stop adrenaline rush! I am loving it at this point!!! I started the book yesterday, I barely slept because I wanted to know what will happen, and although I am exhausted, I am not sure I can stop reading it until it finishes... Unless I fall asleep while reading from shear exhaustion... This is awesome!

message 33: by Barry (last edited May 14, 2020 08:20PM) (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I agree Choko. When the author really focused on the wars and the political plottings the series really shines.

And the battles were really tense.

message 34: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments The battles and the fights are really, really good!! Definitely a bright spot for this author.

message 35: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I finished. Honestly, if it had finished the way it started, I would have been quite dissatisfied... However, as I said earlier, once Hair got rid of the distraction arcs and very annoying characters, this baby kicked into gear and I loved the way it got to the finish line! Great ending, and obviously a lot of stuff left open to be concluded soon, I hope. I say that, because I was told that the next Quartet, which is finished already, doesn't answer the question of this one... Apparently it takes place only five years after this book finished and introduces new characters and some new magic... I am really hoping he is working on a third quarter right now, because I want to know! I am still planning on reading the next four books, but I will take a break for a while and catch up on everything else...

Ramon was my favorite character, with Alron and Elena close second, Ramita, Sarah and the necromancer lady from the legion following... I thought he was able to redeem Elena, Sarah and Kazim quite well by the end. He left so much space for more plots to come from those situations, I can't wait to see how he deals with it.

I am not even going to talk about the stuff that really bothered me, because it was all overshadowed by the cool stuff, in my opinion. Will wait to see what you guys think...

message 36: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Hi @Elizabeth I'm 50% thru too and will post spoilers after my current readathon ends i.e. May 22 or else would spend all day writing essays here. How're you liking it?
So I guess I will be posting in tandem with when Mayim gets here.
And @Choc, Ramone's one of my favourites too and I'm impatient to open your spoilers. Thanks for them. Reply soon :) ok?

message 37: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I am here, will be waiting to see what you think:-)

message 38: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments I let this book sit for 3-4 months, after rushing through the first 3, and am finding myself a bit lost with the characters... I remember broad strokes, but there are entire characters I've forgotten, I think... so I'm just doing the best I can and following the flow of the story (of which I have a decent idea how it will all play out)...

message 39: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments Choko wrote: "Up to Ch 14... [spoilers removed]"

This change in character, is honestly part of what confused me, I think...

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 988 comments Zaara wrote: "Hi @Elizabeth I'm 50% thru too and will post spoilers after my current readathon ends i.e. May 22 or else would spend all day writing essays here. How're you liking it?
So I guess I will be postin..."

I still haven't read much. I've fallen into a slump in the month I signed up for the most reads. This one I've been listening too, but still haven't had a whole lot of time. I just moved to a different department at work so I've been training a lot, so my listening will be mostly cut down to just my drive for now.

message 41: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments I'm approaching the 66% mark, and so many of the conclusions to long-running storylines seem anticlimactic, in how fast they were over (even if they were bloodbaths)...

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments Choko wrote: "Up to Ch. 32... You know, after we got away from the more whining characters, which was about half way into the book, this has been a non-stop adrenaline rush! I am loving it at this point!!! I sta..."

To me, the big stuff just feels like it's over too quick...

message 43: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments Maybe Sanderson has just pampered me too much...

This book definitely has big epic things happening with some of the battles...

I just don't feel it as much in the one-on-one encounters with characters that have been built up for 3.5 books...

It's like, David Hair created these OP characters, and all they can do is get in quick kills, otherwise it's a case of Mutually Assured Destruction... (view spoiler)

message 44: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I totally understand what you are saying, but to me he does the battles so well, it is almost worth the more shallow characterization. Sanderson has something of a formula going on when it comes to his characters, depending on what archetype he chooses to represent. Then he fills in details according to the environment in the book. But he has learned to do that very, very well. Hair is not as polished, but he has the vision needed for a good Fantasy author, in my opinion...

message 45: by Timelord Iain (last edited May 18, 2020 06:06PM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments I made my last comment BEFORE the big Second Showdown with (view spoiler), which kinda proved my point...

This whole quartet could be interpreted as a morality story about selfishness vs teamwork... pretty much every character on the stronger side of this original conflict fails because they're trying to amass personal power and overtake their supposed allies...

Maybe I'm just in a complainy mood :)

message 46: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments Haha! That's ok! I almost gave it up while we were dealing with the Cym and Zaq arc... It was making me so angry...

message 47: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14740 comments The book is very readable, despite my complaints... I'm still up, 90 minutes past my bedtime, with an hour left in the audiobook...

message 48: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5099 comments I stayed all night to finish it. Could not put it down until I was done. Something to be said about it.

message 49: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "The book is very readable, despite my complaints... I'm still up, 90 minutes past my bedtime, with an hour left in the audiobook..."

Choko wrote: "I stayed all night to finish it. Could not put it down until I was done. Something to be said about it."

Finished, yea I couldn't stop either, I'm was alternately reading/listening and I think I covered 600+ pages in one 24 hour period.

message 50: by Zaara (last edited May 22, 2020 09:25AM) (new)

Zaara | 4115 comments Log for Chris and Elizabeth:

Ch 1 (view spoiler)

Ch 3
(view spoiler)

That Ch 6 (view spoiler) And Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

Ch 14 (view spoiler)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ascendant's Rite (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Hair (other topics)