Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Unholy War (Moontide Quartet, #3)
This topic is about Unholy War
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Unholy War [Mar 10, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jan 05, 2020 02:47PM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Unholy War - David Hair
Unholy War (Moontide Quartet, #3) by David Hair
March 10, 2020.
Requested by Siobhan and Zaara.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments In but late (by one book). Will catch up though.

message 3: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1602 comments Mayim wrote: "In but late (by one book). Will catch up though."

We're actually talking about moving this out. We'll be officially starting Scarlet Tides on the 10th, as most of us have fallen behind.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Great, thank you!

Frank | 650 comments On another discussion strand I mentioned that I started this BR before the date was changed to postpone.
Thoroughly enjoying the book, this is quite a series. I will not post until everyone gets into the book.
With the change I will push back and read book four with everyone.

message 6: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 09, 2020 04:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 14675 comments Frank wrote: "On another discussion strand I mentioned that I started this BR before the date was changed to postpone.
Thoroughly enjoying the book, this is quite a series. I will not post until everyone gets i..."

You're reading right now, right?... I'm planning to catch up to you (and probably finish)...

Started Mage Blood yesterday, 60% now, discussing with Zaara in the old thread... joining the Scarlet Tides BR tomorrow... probably do Unholy War Sunday/Monday...

Frank | 650 comments Iain
Yes, will be finishing this up today.
Anytime you want to jump in let me know.

Timelord Iain | 14675 comments Frank wrote: "Iain
Yes, will be finishing this up today.
Anytime you want to jump in let me know."

I'm probably not going to get to this until Tuesday... feel free to make some comments on key points in the story, for when i get here...

I'm around 95% Crimson Tides right now... I read 1/3 yesterday and 2/3 today, between reading some other books at work...

Like I anticipated, I'm glad I'm not waiting too long... merging POV storylines, constant worry for the characters... more hope than the conclusion of the first book...

Timelord Iain | 14675 comments The books feel like Russian Nesting Dolls... each progresses the story forward, and each prologue goes backwards and shows another layer of Rondian plotting...

I think I'm on chapter 8-9 right now, around 20% in, and I'm seeing real similarities to Terms of Surrender or Queen of the Night here... I drew comparisons to the Revanche Cycle in the book 1 thread, but here it's literal storylines/scenes now, since they're both loosely based on the same historical events/cultures... (view spoiler)

message 10: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 15, 2020 03:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 14675 comments I'm around 66% now... shortly after my last post, there was a Portia POV: (view spoiler)

2nd Portia POV (I think): (view spoiler)

Gurvon Gyle: (view spoiler)

Alaron/Rashima: (view spoiler)

Cym: this storyline has been interesting, to say the least...

Martyr: (view spoiler)

Coin: (view spoiler)

Constant: (view spoiler)

message 11: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I am going to wait a bit before the second group catches up so that we can read it together.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Done with the 2nd book. Will start this one on Tuesday.

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 988 comments I started Friday, but it's been a slow weekend at work, so I haven't listened much. then I forgot my headphones today....

message 14: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Good so I’m beginning too.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments So, I just got to Ch. 5... Things are happening on all fronts. I am totally emerged in the story and most of my feelings for the different characters are so far only deepening. The two separate couples are making the best of it, I think I am getting used to the idea of them... What I really don't like is (view spoiler)

Did I mention how much I love the little gypsy dude? ( ◜‿◝ )♡

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Ch. 12 is intense!!!!

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Ch. 21... Wow! Had no idea this was possible! I almost felt sorry for that douchebag... Almost...

It seems like everyone is not happy with either who they are, what they are, or whom they can or cannot be with. Well, we do have some that think they are better than G-d's, but we all know those are the stupid or evil ones, so they don't count.

I did love one moment more than I probably should have... Two words : "... Now, ravish!" (◔‿◔)

message 18: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Choko wrote: "Ch. 12 is intense!!!!"

I love these types of comments :D they are very promising

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Mayim, this book is definitely worth the read! I am totally addicted to it. Yes, the intrigue is not at the most refined level and some of the characterization is exaggerated, but it is a really engaging and compelling story! I can see the historical and religious tales it has taken its influences from, but that only makes it more interesting to me, not less. I can't wait to see what you think of it.

I know it feels like the whole world is falling apart around us and we are living in surreal times, but I have the TV on the falling market and muted, while still being completely immersed in the book. I stop reading only during the breaking news, have a drink, take a deep breath, and start reading again. It is a rainy, gloomy day, all the restaurants are closed, we are stuck at home anyway, why not get lost in an epic book?!

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Ch 6

@ Choko re: Ramita and Alaron
(view spoiler)

Gurvon(view spoiler)

Rashid(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I thought over all those questions, Barry.

Rashid (view spoiler)

The monks Haha! You were so right! They do know Kung Fu◉‿◉!

When I was wondering about the artifact, I hadn't gotten to the part about it being so complicated. I am very happy they got to stay in the monastery and I really wished, for their sake, that they would just stay there for ever! But of course, nothing that good could happen at this point of the series. It is funny how we barely see the twins at all, after all the hype about them. I guess the author doesn't find them very interesting in the middle of the plot line◉‿◉ʘ‿ʘ◉‿◉. I am not complaining, I agree with him completely!

Also, I think Justina and Ramita stayed in the cave/tower place for as long as they did, because they were hoping to deliver the babies there. After all, it was a very safe place, until Cym decided to call on her mom.

Speaking of Cym, I think I like where her storyline is going the least. I honestly wish the author would wrap it up and just stop waisting our time with them...

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Something happened with my app and it didn't put the spoiler tags around my second comment starting at the monks!!! I am so sorry, I can't fix it from the app ( ⚈̥̥̥̥̥́⌢⚈̥̥̥̥̥̀)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Ch. 32... This is a very bad idea...

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Ch. 33... WTF???!!!

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I am really having a hard time sympathizing with the soul drinkers. I try to compare them with the traditional vampires, but it just isn't the same... After all, the vamps usually don't truly need to kill to feed, and they need to feed to exist. The soul drinkers on the other hand don't need the other's soul to survive, but just to boost their magical strength. Also, they absolutely have to kill and on top of that, they deny the person's soul any chance of afterlife, if that exists. I could learn to like those who try to replenish in a not so desolating manner, but at this point we see only one who is figuring something like that out and only one other that might have the potential to accept such a solution.

Cym(view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Ch 20

Ramita(view spoiler)

Malevorn. Judging from Choko’s comment, I’m guessing he’s in deep sh*t now. I think Ch 21 is his pov.

Im not enjoying how a lot of the characters seem to base their relationships solely on physical attributes and/or sex. Is there any adult relationship that’s based on mutual affection emotionally as well as physically? I’m disappointed with the development of a lot of the relationships between the characters, frankly. Especially Kazim-Elena. I’ve been skipping a lot of their pov. Which sucks because I really liked her pov in the first two books.

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 988 comments So much stuff happened in this book. I just finished it yesterday while at work.

and Choko, I agree with your overall point there.

(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Elizabeth, I did too... it was too graphic and permanent to be any other way...

Barry, you are right about the relationship thing, but I see some more encouraging signs that there might be some maturity coming into play, eventually (•‿•)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 28

Cera (view spoiler)

That was pretty intense chapters 25-27.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Yes! The whole book was very intense and I really liked it!!!

message 31: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1602 comments Sounds like y'all are really liking this....That's good news.

I'm stalled out in Scarlet Tides, about 70% in. Liking it just fine, but got waylaid by a nasty reading slump.

I'm starting to work my way out of the slump, just started a book yesterday. But, since I'm so far behind I have review commitments to read first that are all coming due...

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Chris, take your time. With all the craziness around us, we are all trying to get our bearings... We are here to discuss anytime!

message 33: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1602 comments Thanks, Choko....will do :)

Zaara | 4090 comments Chris wrote: "Sounds like y'all are really liking this....That's good news. I'm stalled out in Scarlet Tides, about 70% in. Liking it just fine..."

Choko wrote: "Chris, take your time. With all the craziness around us, we are all trying to get our bearings... We are here to discuss anytime!"

:) 💪 yeah it is good news...
I just didn't think anyone would continue this series after many ppl disliked Mage's Blood + Chris got busy/slumpy so I just stopped checking back buuuuut it is heartening to see so many spoilers and comments here + it seems like Elizabeth, Mayim and Choc had alot of fun, and Barry stuck with the series too!! Of course Iain read it ages ago.

I'm fine to start whenever you're ready. Until then, I'll finish London.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Its not the best series I’ve ever read, but the endings so far keep hooking me to continue to the next one.

This guy really writes good endings. Now, if only he could spice up the middle parts and writes less exposition haha ...

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I really want to find out how the series is going to wrap things up. I can't foresee a happy ending for all somehow. But I also can't imagine it will be all tragedy and despair. I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Zaara | 4090 comments Choko wrote: "I really want to find out how the series is going to wrap things up. I can't foresee a happy ending for all somehow. But I also can't imagine it will be all tragedy and despair. I hope it doesn't d..."

Barry wrote: "Its not the best series I’ve ever read, but the endings so far keep hooking me to continue to the next one.

This guy really writes good endings. Now, if only he could spice up the middle parts and..."

Well then mebbe you two should just read the next one together (whenever convenient) before you guys lose momentum + I know Iain was waiting on the BR group. Just use the existing thread....

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 988 comments I'll be reading the last one, but was planning on doing it when everyone else did.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Yeah, we can wait for everyone to be caught up.

Zaara | 4090 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I'll be reading the last one, but was planning on doing it when everyone else did."

Choko wrote: "Yeah, we can wait for everyone to be caught up."

Thanks guys...you really are nice...I'll hustle and also nudge Chris...we'll be there soon....

Zaara | 4090 comments Choko wrote: "Mayim, this book is definitely worth the read! I am totally addicted to it."

Fwoooosh...I just finished this and I HAFTA talk about it...

1. I dunno how I clawed the determination out of thin air to wait for so long to read this book because when I started (thanks everyone for waiting so patiently 😘) I used to grudge doing routine life things!!

2. I DUNNO HOOWW but I'd kinda expected that this book will have all the expected middle book drag issues and was bracing myself for a bit of a slog.........but the last time that I just vanished into a hole for 4 days and did nothing but gobble pages for was ASOIAF 3!! Btw that was before I join this group...so yeah weakest book, shmeakest book...ppppffffffft

message 42: by Zaara (last edited Apr 21, 2020 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4090 comments SERIES SO FAR:
1. Forst of all I love the brutal practicality and matter of factness across this series and how the faultlines/alliances are constantly changing shape. There were no needless sentimentalities over the sometimes brutal partings and lightning changes of vast proportions that the (I can only count two sentences when ElKaz were Phlemmy and one or two when Alaron and Ramita had "googoo eyes" pangs) that this happemed, it stuck out like a sore thum...👎

2. And the steepness of the char arcs kinda reminds me of Stormlight, and perhaps could even surpass some of the initial Stormlight chars who were either (view spoiler) how different is Alaron here from the naive kid who failed his exams and got routinely beaten up? Cera Nesti has emerged as the real (view spoiler) of the series and Ramita...don't even know where to start there. For awhile my heart sank when it looked like (view spoiler) the heart soared when that didn't happen but :( at what cost??? That ending.....whoaa!!

Similarly, the degredation in the humanity of the morally dark chars is also steep...no much pity for (view spoiler)

message 43: by Zaara (last edited Apr 21, 2020 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4090 comments COUPLES:
(view spoiler)

Zaara | 4090 comments OTHER CHARS:
5. Also, did you guys feel Gurvon seems a but defanged and declawed in this book and more simplistically ruthless?? He has been my fave serieswide villain in recent times...with just enough of a backstory to make him morally flawed and grey but not a "good guy" forced into dark ways...bcuz sometimes i am nostalgic for the good olefashioned eeeeeyvil guys...
I still stick to my guns for his eventual redemption as a double agent playing the "Snape-y" long game but hope grows faint. It truly seems that Gurvon can belong to no-one, not even his country. But Noros has a long memory, let us see...I'm allergic to giving up on him yet. The Mater Imperia had better watch her back!!

6. One of the comments on Petrik's review of Scarlet Tides (btw if anyone here doesn't know @Petrik yet, you really must check out his very heartfelt and engaging reviews of this series and others) really intrigued me when it compared the Ramon track to the Chain of Dogs (Malazan 2), for a second I was thrown.
I always had this huge soft spot for Ramon the lippy, smiling underdog, charming yet deadly. He reminded me of Practical Severard...and l love his cheerfully black morals and the hysterical pandemic size of his financial wheelerdealering...(I love reading/watching financial fraud postmortems)

7But he is also a big softie/niceguy and Chapter 13 of this book, where Ramon actually takes and implements advice from the rankers and Seth Korion really starts coming into his own, has gotta be one of my serieswide top moments. This chapter and these two scenes were flawlessly written, that the cliche BURSTING WITH ADMIRATION really applies.
And how heartbreaking is it
ANNI DONT OPEN HUGE MALAZAN 2 SPOILER HERE
(view spoiler)

The marching track remained my fave track in this otherwise kinda lovey-devey book. Which still gets a very hearty 4 stars.

message 45: by Zaara (last edited Apr 21, 2020 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4090 comments VERY SMALL NOTES FOR BOOK 4:
(view spoiler)

Elizabeth (elizabeths01) | 988 comments Sunsurge Quartet? There's a sequel series?? O.o I need more audible credits considering I've been listening to all these so far.

message 47: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I was very saddened at Guvron's devloution, Zaara. Such promising character. Nearly perfect antagonist. I think that whole this arc got messy with the wrecked proportions of Elena-Guvron-Cera act (but then I hate Cera's line with vehemence that makes black mamba fluffy ans sleepy kind of pet).

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Zaara! Girl, that was a wonderful breakdown of the book! I agree with you pretty much on everything! I am very happy you are reading this with us ❤️

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments For me personally there are severa characters whose development have been disappointing. Cera, Guvron and Elena most notably. Guvron could’ve been a great villain, but yeah I think he won’t be that. Also I wish (view spoiler)

Re : chain of dogs
Yeah, come to think of it there’s some similarities. Although, Chain of Dogs was far more brutal and lasted for the whole book basically.

Zaara | 4090 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Sunsurge Quartet? There's a sequel series?? O.o I need more audible credits considering I've been listening to all these so far."

Mwahahahaha! Yup for sure Elizabeth, only too glad to enable you in all the ways 😈 but let's read Ascendant's Rite first :))

« previous 1