Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Scarlet Tides (Moontide Quartet, #2)
This topic is about The Scarlet Tides
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Scarlet Tides [Jan 10, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jan 05, 2020 02:46PM) (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4434 comments Mod
The Scarlet Tides - David Hair
The Scarlet Tides (Moontide Quartet, #2) by David Hair
January 10, 2020.
Requested by Siobhan and Zaara.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1633 comments In. I just bought it and started a little early.

I didn't mean to, i promise!

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Way to go. I’ll be here in two books. ;)

message 4: by Dani (last edited Nov 30, 2019 09:46AM) (new) - added it

Dani | 577 comments Being a slow reader I feel completely justified to start early as well :-). You will all pass me by before long anyway.

I'm only 5 chapters in but already it's drawing on my emotions...
I've gone from being utterly horrified (view spoiler) to sad (view spoiler) to angry (view spoiler) to laughing out loud (view spoiler)
There's plenty going on and I'm loving it.

Edited to say that it's not advisable to open these spoilers if you haven't finished Mage's blood yet!

Chris  (haughtc) | 1633 comments Today's the official start day for us.

I'm on the 6th chapter, I think.

Zaara | 4153 comments Dani wrote: "Being a slow reader I feel completely justified to start early as well :-). You will all pass me by before long anyway."

Be here soon...just replied to all them heads ups on my tracker...I always felt like I bored everyone silly by saying how I will be away Xmas to Jan 2 but I guess I WASN'T as vocal about it as I thought I was...

message 7: by Dani (new) - added it

Dani | 577 comments Hi all. I did some reading of book 2 up to the holidays. But then I got ill so I've been on Ch.27 for a good long while now. I'm now aiming to start book 3 in Feb and am not sure I will continue onto book 4 straight after that bc I can feel 'series fatigue' is already looming at the horizon. I may go for a little break between the last two.
Anyhoo.... meanwhile I'll keep checking this thread now and then.
Oh and Happy new year everyone. Hope you'll all have an awesome 2020.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1633 comments Hey Dani...

I was talking with Zaara and she's asked to move this out to (re)start on Jan 10. I've stalled a bit so that works for me. Series fatigue indeed. We'll probably need to push book 3 out a bit, so that might help.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Oh, I titally forgot about this one. Will finish Malazan and commence this immediately.

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments Dani wrote: "Being a slow reader I feel completely justified to start early as well :-). You will all pass me by before long anyway.

I'm only 5 chapters in but already it's drawing on my emotions...
I've gone..."

Agreed... so many things going on in the early chapters... you would think, after the first book, I would be inured to these kinds of developments, but they get me every time...

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments Just passed 50%... I'm only listening to this at home... it's really interesting how the storylines are shifting and connecting... (view spoiler)

That scene with the (view spoiler) was weird, to say the least...

I'm most interested in Rashima & Mercer's storylines at the moment... Cera and Gurvon Gyle just irk me, every time they're on-page... (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments Sex scenes: Half of them are rapes and degradations, but even when they're not, David Hair's style reminds me of Joe Abercrombie's ability to make them grotesque...

message 13: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 11, 2020 03:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 14947 comments 85%: The term Scarlet Tide was used in the narrative...

I have a pretty good idea what the climax of this book is going to be... very nail-bitey, no idea how it'll turn out... good way to outdo the first book, tho...

(view spoiler)

All of this is reminding me of Revanche Cycle, more and more, and it's way of throwing it's characters in a blender from book to book, as people end up in different places and with different POV characters...

Pregnancy manifestations: this seems like the only really detailed element of the Moontide Quartet wiki, and as such, I spoiled myself pretty heavily on that one plot element... but at this point, I think it's safe to talk about it... (view spoiler)

Zaara | 4153 comments Started.
Handy list for anyone who's starting in future. NB BOOK 1 fullbook spoilers.
(view spoiler)

As you can see I am bit 😝 hyperexcited...
Dani...where have you gotten? I'm here finally and thank you for waiting for us...we appreciate it...

message 15: by Zaara (last edited Jan 20, 2020 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4153 comments Anybody here? Dani-May-Lann? I know Iain will've finished ages ago...

40%

1. I was so focused on worrying about Elena that it kinda cannibalised my concerns for Ramita and the babies but (view spoiler)

2..Some guesses about all this:
(view spoiler)

3. My fave magic in the series will always be blood/rune-related but :O the human-snake-kanga creatures I was totally not expecting...Pohdehl's snake voice made me shiver...its bare degrees away from his Gyle voice but somehow different...I really thought Alaron will be taken and have to escape his way out thru a "series of dungeons"...I hope we get at least one of these:

😂 forevarrr a classic!!

4. Also, but this is a FULLSERIES SPOILER (view spoiler)

5. And now the immature spoiler:
(view spoiler)

Zaara | 4153 comments 60% kinda queasy/uncomfortable with the way things are going....but dunno why,

SERIES FAVE SCENE
(view spoiler)

Chris and Dani....is this why you stopped as well???
Have you guys quit the series? Dan, are you here?
is nobody here :(

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Zaara, my sweet friend. I’m joining you here in this thread as I’m in a dire need to read a good book after my latest failure.

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
This was a good series. I gave every book 3.75*'s. It had it's faults but overall solid.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I positively loved book one. I have high hopes for this.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1633 comments I'm still reading. Just getting overbooked again and got a couple of review books due soon.

Im at 69%, not sure what to expect with (view spoiler)

Cera's story is a little more interesting now with her new (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I read only a couple of chapters last night but what a great beginning! I positively hate Malveron (sorry about the spelling, I mean Alaron's former classmate). I thought his first POV was an excellent introduction to how repulsive a character he is under this rakish demeanour.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I reached chapter 7 and finally I am having some fun (in addition to constant heartache, exasperation and fear that something bad will happen any moment). I have high hopes for Ramon's time in the legion. The introduction of the lucky thirteenth (lol!) was like a big fat promise of some misfits band of wonders.

Zaara | 4153 comments Mayim wrote: "I positively loved book one. I have high hopes for this."

Welcome....and oh it IS good....one of the better middle books...and the chars will really pull you in and in some cases (looking at you CERA!) really frsutrate you.....

Scott wrote: "This was a good series. I gave every book 3.75*'s. It had it's faults but overall solid."

Hi :)) ..... you're back...finally got around to Manifest Delusions...

message 24: by Zaara (last edited Jan 27, 2020 02:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4153 comments Chris wrote: "I'm still reading. Just getting overbooked again and got a couple of review books due soon.

Im at 69%, not sure what to expect...."

Hmmm.
I'm at 80% but hvn't got my book with me so shall log later, prolly when I finish....

message 25: by Zaara (last edited Jan 30, 2020 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4153 comments Finished. Wow, Mayim...........whoa! 4 stars, like Papa Sau....
Nothing happened like I expected....and I like how each track is very different from the other.
Esp like that Raymone was "promoted" from guest appearance to series regular...😂

Closing faves/notes:

(view spoiler)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1633 comments I'm stalled. My audio time has been great, but at the expense of ebook time.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Finished two, I had minor issues but this is decent quality. I am going to round up to 4 stars I think.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Hi, Elizabeth and I are gonna hijack this thread. Maybe we’ll catch up with you guys for the third book.

End of Ch 5

Gurvon
(view spoiler)

Ramita
(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Just finished Ch. 1... I HATE Malveron! He needs to be humbled and killed slowly!

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Oh I remember his first appearance. I loathed him with rare vehemence. I feel and share your rage Choko.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments So I finished....I listened to it the last two days at work. I don't remember where a lot of stuff happened at, so I'll just comment on the comments you guys have about it.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Elizabeth, so will you wait with me for a couple of days for other people to finish this one so that we might start the third book together or are you continuing straight away?

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 996 comments I bought the audio book and primarily only listen at work. I'm off until Friday then work 3 days (12.5 hour shifts) and was planning on starting then. When were you going to start book 3?

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments It was supposed to start on March 10. I have the book on my ipad but I wanted Barry and Choko to join (and they read fast). I am reading Children of Ruin now and I am ready to start as soon as I'm finished (which should be Friday, actually)

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments I think we will be done by Friday and ready to go with you, Mayim(•‿•)

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Up to Ch. 9... I hope I don't spend the book in this state of anger and rage! I am so disgusted by those rapists and soul-suckers, I can barely stand still!!! I hate Alisa with passion and Rashid even more! Kazim is showing some small bursts of consciousness, but he is so full of hate and so easily manipulated by the people around him, I don't trust him for a second... And how can he let those animals do this to the captured women??? How can he square this with his supposed faith??? What the hell is wrong with these people???!!! ಠ︵ಠ

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Up to Ch. 14 or 15, not really sure... It is hilarious how Ramita calls Justina her daughter and how much this pisses off J. I am glad (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I'm also on about Chapter 14-15. Don't have my kindle at the moment. So, I think I should finish this book by this weekend or Monday at the latest.

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments How do you like it so far, Barry?

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Well so far the plot has moved as expected. some characters remain annoyingly idiotic. And I just accepted that the author will continue to provide a lot of exposition on the different cultures/peoples and try not to let that bother me too much.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 18

Ramita
(view spoiler)

Kazim
(view spoiler)

Ramon
(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Some good questions... It must be the treasurer or someone in close proximity to him. About Meiros, it seems he foresaw her being a beacon of hope for the peace loving faction and some boost of power.

I am quite disturbed by the souldrinkers, but even more so by anyone connected with the Inquisition! All the slaughter and mindless killing seems a bit overkill at times and creates somewhat of a caricature feel to the bad guys. I can see how an author might get seduced into this trap in a story like this. It is very vivid though, for sure!

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Finished... I am not sure how I feel about it. It is a transition book, so it feels like I can't truly judge it on its own merit. I am still totally into the story. Raymond's more prominent role has made him most fun for me to read about. I really hate everything that is happening around the little Queen, while Elena and Kazim... it just feels forced to me at this moment... Aleron and Ramita, now I really like how this Arc is going. Those two are very likable to me. I can't believe that other evil bitch... I knew she was going to be trouble! I hate her the most!

So, a short break tonight and on to the next book tomorrow (•‿•)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Good, so I'll try to wrap up children of ruin tonight and then we can start tomorrow!

Aleron and Ramita are my favourites too so I am happy that we share a lot for the books to come.

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments Yay! And I am completely hooked on the story! It is very compelling! I am in it to the end!

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I am sooo glad you like it! I really missed you in the initial BR group!

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments I was out of it for a while, but I am back. I missed you too ❤️

message 48: by Mayim (last edited Mar 14, 2020 12:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Barry wrote: "End of Ch 18

Ramita
[spoilers removed]

Spe..."

Barry, excellent points!

re Ramita (view spoiler)

re Ramon's father (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Done.
Overall I think this is a much better book than the first book. Definitely more complex political games that make the plots more intriguing and deadly. And at least I understand why the Rondians did not attack despite seemingly having all the resources and advantages in the world.

Ramita(view spoiler)

Guvron (view spoiler)

Ramon(view spoiler)

One other thing that I found a bit too much was the se. scenes. I mean there’s just a bit too many to my taste. But it’s just a semi minor complaint.

Overall, it’s much better.

Choko (chokog) | 5103 comments I agree with just about everything you said, Barry. The sex scenes are all a bit disturbing, if you ask me. But it only proves my theory, that no good Fantasy author is at all good in writing sex scenes, true.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Scarlet Tides (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Hair (other topics)