Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Mage's Blood [Nov 4, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
Mage's Blood - David Hair
Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1) by David Hair
November 4, 2019.
Requested by Siobhan and Zaara.

message 2: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7583 comments Thanks Jenna :)

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
Siobhan wrote: "Thanks Jenna :)"

You're welcome!

message 4: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4143 comments IN.
Thanks Jenna...

message 5: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 248 comments I am starting early as it's 670 pages, I wanted to read this last time it was scheduled but just had too many BRs on. Familiar story!

message 6: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 248 comments I initially started with the audio but there are so many characters just in the prologue and chapter one, that I have switched to the book until I have a grip on the story.

It's a fabulous premise.

message 7: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7583 comments Glad you're liking the premise! I actually know nothing about this book! 😅

I might be a few days late, but I'll be here. :)

message 8: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4143 comments Be here too in a coupla days, Loriidae. I'm running late on my October doorstoppers...

message 9: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Hi guys. Zaara kindly invited me and since these 4 doorstoppers of this series are mocking me from my shelf I'd like to join you.

message 10: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Interested.

message 11: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7583 comments Yay! The more the merrier :)

message 12: by Zaara (last edited Nov 05, 2019 02:35AM) (new)

Zaara | 4143 comments Siobhan wrote: "Yay! The more the merrier :)"

Oh Dan, you came!!!
Welcome back...it's been aaaaages...missed you and thought of you 😘❤️...heck, ALL the four of us haven't read together since Guns of the Dawn or Sweaters or somethin'..
I completely stalled on the Long Price Wuartet, Dan. Couldn't without you...kept thinking how that and Moontide were things we'd talked about as doing together someday.

Immediately you get Julia Jeffreys:
(view spoiler)

Aaaaand Mayim too!
*grins*
Hello Doc...❤️😘 I am thrilled to read a full series again with FBR's CSO ~ Chief of Satire...the threads just haven't been the same since you toned down your posts and went off somewhere to recover from Post Malazan Syndrome...😂
My good wishes, season's greetings and love to Mr May.

And you of course get Ian Daniels:
(view spoiler)

This is wonderful, guys...as you can see @Siobhan is chuffed too.
@Loriidae, hi...please graciously forgive the Ole School Reunion that happened there...😂
Starting this one tonight, now that I finished Schthe. Good to know the premise is strong.

message 13: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I'll try to be here, I am finishing off Malazan novel but should be done soon.

message 14: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Zaara wrote: Oh Dan, you came!!!
Welcome back...it's been aaaaages...missed you and thought of you 😘❤️...heck, ALL the four of us haven't read together since Guns ..."

I know, right?! And thanks for the warm welcome ♥
There's been a lot going on that stopped me from posting and nowadays I only use goodreads for tracking my reads. But I've missed you too lovely Z!!! And I'd love to chat with you to hear what you've been up to so let me know where I should post my ramblings to get your attention. Or are you actually a good girl these days and reading your PMs now.... naaaah, can't be true ;-)

message 15: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Mayim wrote: "I'll try to be here, I am finishing off Malazan novel but should be done soon."

That would be so great! Finally a buddy read with you!

message 16: by Dani (last edited Nov 06, 2019 04:26AM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Oh boy. I am struggling guys. Already I got some not-so-good thoughts about this book. Here they are for who wants to discuss/comment.

I don't think they are spoilers really, but I'll tag them as such because I don't want to influence anybody's reading experience in a negative way.

(view spoiler)

How is everyone else doing?

message 17: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I have 4 chapters in the current book and then I'll be here.

I am also elated to be here with all you sexy gals! :D

message 18: by Zaara (last edited Nov 08, 2019 05:26AM) (new)

Zaara | 4143 comments Dani wrote: "Oh boy. I am struggling guys. Already I got some not-so-good thoughts about this book.
[...]
How is everyone else doing? "

Hi Dan...everyone is exhausted after the frantic pace of the last days of the team tourney where ppl overloaded on BRs...but we're all here...sloowly reading...haha, this time you're the frontender...enjoy the Finbarness!

I read 45 minutes...💪😂 hehe still feels so weird to be measuring this way...and I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far...it's got that shameles PoP Aladdin vibe to it...really liket he cultural setting...I must admit I love the brisk pace and the visceral blood and p!ss.

And Lorii I absolutely loved that prologue!
(view spoiler)

Dani wrote: "And I'd love to chat with you to hear what you've been up to so let me know..."

Heh, my tech skills are still abysmal but I'm a bit better than my early truely pathetic days when i would get kerfuffled with all the group polls n alerts n sh!t and actually delete/drop/ignore the actual PMs...@Manju taught me to twiddle the settings...I unsubscribed from almost everything...nowadays I just stalk the posts of my top dozen odd peeps...

But of course I'm a good girl, Dan...😉
Always.

message 19: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I have started.

Awww, I thought a lovely old lady is going to save a baby who is surely going to be a special mage upon whose frail shoulders the plot will be placed.

Could I have been more wrong?

In short: I love it when a writer sweeps me off my feet even before things start.

message 20: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Ch1: I really don't think I like this Empire very much. And I definitely do not want them to succeed with this appalling intrigue of theirs (Gyle you seem such a nice fellow how can you proactively aid your conquerors?!)

message 21: by Dani (last edited Nov 09, 2019 01:29PM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Since Ch.4-5 things got heaps better for me and am now enjoying Elena's and Alaron's pov.

I'm in Ch.8 now. (view spoiler)

So far, the worldbuilding feels a little lazy wrt the name calling of things.

message 22: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Hi Dan...everyone is exhausted after the frantic pace of the last days of the team tourney where ppl overloaded on BRs...
but we're all here...sloowly reading...haha, this time you're the frontender...enjoy the Finbarness!

I don't think I'll be at the front for long.. I'm a slow reader and after Monday I'll have a lot less free time to read.

I read 45 minutes...💪😂 hehe still feels so weird to be measuring this way...and I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far...it's got that shameles PoP Aladdin vibe to it...really liket he cultural setting...I must admit I love the brisk pace and the visceral blood and p!ss.

Glad you're liking it.

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1628 comments Hey ladies...hope you don't mind. :)

I was drawn in and bought the eBook before I knew it. Now I'm halfway through chapter 3. Really liking it so far. Yes, there's a lot of info and people and groups and places, but I'm enjoying it all.

Agreed on that prologue, Mayim. It was brilliant.

message 24: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 248 comments Now everyone's ahead of me. :) Life got in the way. I will try and read some more soon.

message 25: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Loriidae wrote: "Now everyone's ahead of me. :) Life got in the way. I will try and read some more soon."

Don't worry about it Lori. That happens to all of us at one time or another. We'll be here.

message 26: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Chris wrote: "Hey ladies...hope you don't mind. :)

I was drawn in and bought the eBook before I knew it. Now I'm halfway through chapter 3. Really liking it so far. Yes, there's a lot of info and people and gro..."

A lady never minds a gentleman tagging along, at least I don't :-)

message 27: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Hi Chris, it’s nice to see you in this buddy read. I cannot remember the last book we read together so it must have been too long anyway.

How do you like things beyond the prologue?

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1628 comments Thanks Dani & Mayim...

Yes, it's been awhile. My reading hasn't been what it once was, but hoping to get some of that back soon.

This book might be a good way to do that. I'm pretty intrigued with the world building so far and I think I should be good on connecting with the characters in time.

message 29: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Oh chapter 8 was all exclamation marks. Gyle, I really hate you; right now you on top of my hit list.

message 30: by Mayim (last edited Nov 11, 2019 11:49AM) (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments That female magi from chapter 9: (view spoiler) The story is horrifying and I’m only halfway through this chapter.

message 31: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4143 comments Chris wrote: "I was drawn in and bought the eBook before I knew it."

:) hi

Loriidae wrote: "I initially started with the audio but there are so many characters just in the prologue and chapter one, that I have switched to the book until I have a grip on....."

Chris wrote: "Yes, there's a lot of info and people and gro..."

I'm (trying to) doing this on audio so yeah...the names and places were a bit overwhelming at first but here's what I did (as Lorriidae was saying)
I very quickly flip thru (review) each day's portion in my ebook so if there's something small I dropped I catch it. I'm doing fine, actually. Doesn't take more than five minutes since I only listen 80-90 minutes daily at 1.5x.
And once you see the names spelt out, the next time I hear them I'm all sorted.

message 32: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4143 comments Log 2
I'm almost four hours in now...😂😂😂 so (with those longish ones) that's only Ch 7. So far lots of scene setting/char introductions in all the various tracks. Really beautifully detailed, each culture distinct and he writes like he has been there/seen that. And like he has intimately (i.e. given, taken pieces of his mind/heart) to each of those cultures.

Heeeeyyy a 300 mile magickal bridge that only appears once in 12 years...wow 💪💪💪Antonin Meiros!!
Shouldnt it be called a Strait?
😂

Ch 1
(view spoiler)

Ch 3
(view spoiler)

I'm at Ch 7 (view spoiler)

message 33: by Zaara (last edited Nov 17, 2019 10:08AM) (new)

Zaara | 4143 comments Loriidae wrote: "Now everyone's ahead of me. :) Life got in the way. I will try and read some more soon."

Ha Loriidae, no worries, as Dani says, we will all still be here...most of us on this BR are midpace/slow readers (except Mayim who will zoom ahead) and Siobhan is a bit burntoexhausted and is thus yet to start...she'll turn up after wrapping the Hobb BR, I think.

message 34: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I did forget. None taken. I’m traveling all week and writing for my mobile is a drama.

Also, I’m such a slow reader this year that I’m nearly 30 books behind the schedule so no worries. I got ahead because I was on a 20 hour long journey and I have another one coming.

message 35: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Also, anybody else enjoyed the (cannot remember which chapter) (view spoiler)

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1628 comments Zaara wrote: "Log 2
I'm almost four hours in now...😂😂😂 so (with those longish ones) that's only Ch 7. So far lots of scene setting/char introductions in all the various tracks. Really beautifully detailed, each ..."

We're at exactly the same spot. Well, as of your post at least. :)

The names and places are coming together in my head. Hair is doing a good job of giving snippets of review to remind us of stuff.

I'm actually quite hooked at this point.

message 37: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments "Chris wrote: "I'm actually quite hooked at this point."

After the rocky start I had, I didn't think I was gonna say this, but I'm hooked too! This morning I was actually bummed my commute to work was over, lol.
I'm in Ch.14 now but sadly I've got a couple of days with practically no reading time coming up (really jealous of the 20hr journey right now Mayim!). I will check in for commenting though when I can.

Ch.8 (view spoiler)

Ch.9 (view spoiler)

Ch.11 (view spoiler)

Ch.13 (view spoiler)

message 38: by Dani (last edited Nov 12, 2019 02:45PM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Mayim wrote: "Also, anybody else enjoyed the (cannot remember which chapter) [spoilers removed]"

yes, I enjoyed it big time, but I'm a huge fan of the magic school training/exams trope in any shape or form :-)

(view spoiler)
I cannot wait to see how this storyline continues..

message 39: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments After chapter 9 I am sure that (view spoiler)

I’m also team Elena and I join you in betting for Lucia.
We are exactly on the same chapter at the moment.

I wish a Choco was here, she’d love the book.

message 40: by Dani (last edited Nov 12, 2019 02:50PM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Zaara wrote: "Doesn't take more than five minutes since I only listen 80-90 minutes daily at 1.5x. And once you see the names spelt out, the next time I hear them I'm all sorted. ."

I am never able to read at a higher speed. I guess I'm destined to be a slow reader AND a slow listener lol.

message 41: by Dani (last edited Nov 12, 2019 02:51PM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Mayim wrote: "After chapter 9 I am sure that [spoilers removed]

Yes, something like that, to be sure!

message 42: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Up to chapter 20 I thought Ramita smart.

message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1628 comments About to start Chapter 14, loving this book.

message 44: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7583 comments Sorry I've been absent guys, currently travelling in Japan and I haven't had any time to read at all! I can't wait to read your spoilers once I can eventually get started!

message 45: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I'm in Chapter 22 now.

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4143 comments Sorry ppl...I'm only in chapter 11 now but shall be able to concentrate more on this from today. Haven't made much progress here since I concentrated on TH and NOS4a2...
+
I'm on a small weekend away myself ~not on holiday like Siobhan, but you know how you get lazy about making bookposts/updating GR when you're out...
*looks down, drags toe across floor, mumbles lame excuses*

Chris wrote: "About to start Chapter 14, loving this book."

Ya..i KNEW you'd like...thought of you as soon as I saw everyone were comparing it to ASOIAF in an Eastern setting and I flipped thru a few pages...saw the writing was of a good standard...

@Siobhan, of course hon...enjoy your holiday...no worries but (just to siscourage you when you get bk) the book's real good for all of us!

@Mayim, first of all...thanks...deleted my alert...
Wow...that's three of us on this thread now, off on jaunts! And I wish Choko was here too!! Though let's all of us read a little further in before giving us a heads up or she would prolly finish before us...😂😂😂
Ch 8
(view spoiler)
Ch 9
(view spoiler)

message 47: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I am in chapter 31 and at this point, I can spell the disaster out very clearly (in capslock really). The stress level in Elena's line has me munching on sweets all the time (stock yourselves! a fair warning). Similarly, Ramita's looming disaster has me all strung up. This might be the reason why, just like Dani, I am also enjoying Alaron's arc the most - but not because it is the best, it is just the least tense!

This, without any doubt, is the most promising series I have started this year so thank you all for scheduling it and nudging me to go along with the BR.

Also, I am going to get Choko here.

message 48: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Siobhan wrote: "Sorry I've been absent guys, currently travelling in Japan and I haven't had any time to read at all! I can't wait to read your spoilers once I can eventually get started!"

That's fine Siobhan. Life gets in the way of reading, that's just how it is many a time.
In the meantime, I'm totally jealous of you travelling Japan of course. Are you having a good time?

message 49: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Zaara wrote: "Ch 8 (view spoiler)"

Wow, good call!!

message 50: by Dani (last edited Nov 17, 2019 02:30PM) (new)

Dani | 577 comments Mayim wrote: "I am in chapter 31 and at this point, I can spell the disaster out very clearly (in capslock really). The stress level in Elena's line has me munching on sweets all the time (stock yourselves! a fa..."

Your update/warning is actually making me a little anxious. I cannot wait to continue on one hand and I don't want to on the other lol

« previous 1