Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Saturday Silly:Name Your TBR

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Sep 07, 2019 12:00PM) (new)

Theresa | 6082 comments I have been calling my TBR 'TBR TOWERS' for a long time given 'pile' or 'stack' are such a woefully inaccurate descriptions. Sometimes I mutter about the TBR Mountain...which theoretically incorporates the digital AND print TBR into the description.

Something more - *better*- is needed, I have concluded. Especially after seeing someone on GR refer to adding a book I just reviewed to Mount TBR, and a friend on FB doing the same, only hers is TBR Monument.

As inspiration is NOT striking....what name(s) do you use?

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8163 comments I love this! TBR name! Gotta think about something schnazzy!

message 3: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments I don't have a name for mine but if I did it would be something like 'Double-stacked to-be-read shelf with excrescences all over the place' (I am not sure that's a correct plural of excrescence, it's a new word in English for me. I was looking for 'gevækst')

message 4: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments This is fun, and I've never thought of naming mine but I want to! I like Mt. TBR.... hmmm, gonna have to give this some more thought.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6082 comments Amy...you need multiple names, don't you? Or is one already sporting 'Super Secret Phone TBR'?

🤔

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7114 comments Theresa wrote: "Amy...you need multiple names, don't you? Or is one already sporting 'Super Secret Phone TBR'?

🤔"

🤣🤣

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7114 comments I have to think on this one....definitely want a name for mine!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8163 comments Aha! How about I float “The Grand Illusion!”

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8163 comments Followed by the not so secret phone list... The True Tome!

message 10: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5320 comments Fran's anti-Kondo conglomerate.

I don't really have a name for them.

message 11: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6082 comments Amy wrote: "Aha! How about I float “The Grand Illusion!”"
👍

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6082 comments Amy wrote: "Followed by the not so secret phone list... The True Tome!"

🤣

message 13: by Theresa (last edited Sep 07, 2019 12:43PM) (new)

Theresa | 6082 comments Hmmmm....Ever Hopeful? Etarnal Optimist?

I am going to need to name my needlework stash too or it will sulk.

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7114 comments I think I have one-The Tumbling TBR Turret

message 15: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments The Neverending Story

message 16: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments The Bookie Monster

message 17: by Jason (last edited Sep 07, 2019 03:01PM) (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Future Victims of a Serial Book Enthusiast.

The Obese Appetite of a Serial Book Enthusiast.

Cravings of a Book Enthusiast.

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments The Perpetual List of Tomorrow

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6082 comments Bookopolyst

message 20: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments It sometimes feels like bookocalypse.

message 21: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments bookopolis

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6082 comments Bookopalypse? Books meet the Apocalypse? If I could spell?

message 23: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7114 comments Bookapalozzo

message 24: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments - Hoarding on the sly

- Toppling Book Ridge

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8163 comments J - I really like the Bookie Monster and Perpetual List of Tomorrow
I - Hoarding on the Sly and Toppling Book Ridge

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8163 comments J and J - I also like the Never Ending Story, and the Tumbling TBR Turret....

message 27: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8018 comments Johanne wrote: "The Neverending Story"

I like this one!

message 28: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6882 comments I like this topic, but now I just put them in my want to tread shelf here. A clever name might be just the thing, but I already have a number of shelves I would like to DELETE and can't get them to go away.

message 29: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1174 comments “Don’t let it fall or I’ll never be found again!”

message 30: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7114 comments Tracy wrote: "“Don’t let it fall or I’ll never be found again!”"

😂😂

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8163 comments I might have mentioned it on another thread, but at 4AM I did a serious clean out of the secret phone TBR - The True Tome. I am being so much more discerning lately. I have the delusion that one day the two will truly entwine. for now, I am not letting the Goodreads TBR go past 400, and in fact I am trying to lower it by two books a month. I figure if I read six and add two, I am still ahead....

message 32: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5320 comments Mine is like a Stack, stack here and a stack, stack there
Here a stack, stack, There a stack stack
A stack, stack everywhere.

message 33: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4890 comments MY IMAGINARY LIBRARY. My Want-to-read Shelf on Goodreads has 1551 books right now, so I have no illusions I'll read all these books. It's more than a shelf, it's a library. Books come in and go out all the time, just like in a real library. I have a lot of books and kindles that aren't even properly cataloged.

I suppose it's possible I'll read another 1000 -1500 books before I die, but chances are good the list will change a lot before I get that far. With horizons, new tags, bookclubs, and the fine people on PBT, I'm finding new books all the time.

In reality I have multiple lists to indicate priorities, and rankdings within some of the lists. Goodreads has a lot of tools that help me to pick what I want each month.

I will never find myself without a book to read.

message 34: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Wishful Reading(?)

message 35: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments Mt. Bibliojaro :P

I wracked my brain all weekend trying to think of puns on mountain names... It was not successful.

message 36: by Joanne (last edited Sep 09, 2019 08:01AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7114 comments Amy wrote: "I might have mentioned it on another thread, but at 4AM I did a serious clean out of the secret phone TBR - The True Tome. I am being so much more discerning lately. I have the delusion that one da..."

Be proud of me Amy-I am below 800-which was my goal-and I refuse to let it go above. Working slowly to now get it below 700.
My daughter thinks this is hysterical But she is unaware I will be leaving her the Tumbling TBR Turret in my will 😅

message 37: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7114 comments Booknblues wrote: "Mine is like a Stack, stack here and a stack, stack there
Here a stack, stack, There a stack stack
A stack, stack everywhere."

🤣🤣

message 38: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments When you guys refer to your TBR, are you referring to the books (whether paper, ebook, or audio) that you own, or "want-to-read" accumulating on GR?

message 39: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Meli wrote: "When you guys refer to your TBR, are you referring to the books (whether paper, ebook, or audio) that you own, or "want-to-read" accumulating on GR?"

Yes, that is what I'm referring too. Some have different definitions of their TBR, such as books they actually own but haven't yet read. My definition is my "to-read" list on Goodreads.

message 40: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments Jason wrote: "Meli wrote: "When you guys refer to your TBR, are you referring to the books (whether paper, ebook, or audio) that you own, or "want-to-read" accumulating on GR?"

Yes, that is what I'm referring t..."

Ah, OK. I actually made a separate category on GR so my "tbr" is only books I own that I haven't read yet.

message 41: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7114 comments I am referring to both-as they are both out of control

message 42: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments Joanne wrote: "I am referring to both-as they are both out of control"

Same... but I have no guilt with the virtual TBR, just the physical one :P

message 43: by Theresa (last edited Sep 09, 2019 03:55PM) (new)

Theresa | 6082 comments Meli wrote: "When you guys refer to your TBR, are you referring to the books (whether paper, ebook, or audio) that you own, or "want-to-read" accumulating on GR?"

I'm referring to both to some degree -- but mostly physical books and ebooks downloaded and not yet read. My GR TBR is the generic Want To Read shelf -- and there is some overlap between physical and ebooks owned and just books I am interested in. I have started moving some to a wish list shelf... meaning interested but not committed.

My GR Want to Read has 600 books on it -- some of those need to be purged, some need to be moved to wish list. But bulk stay put.

If I read only the 600 books on my GR Want To Read -- it would take me less than 4 years to read them. Of course that is never going to happen!

message 44: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8163 comments 800, and the will! You are cracking me up, Joanne!

message 45: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6882 comments Meli wrote: "Mt. Bibliojaro :P

I wracked my brain all weekend trying to think of puns on mountain names... It was not successful."

Well, you can rename your read shelf "Dunn Peak" after a mountain in BC, Canada :)

As for your TBR, Mount Jumbo? (also in BC). These two are in the Columbia Mountains (BC has a number of different mountain ranges, but it's hard to find lists of peaks!)

message 46: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3040 comments Karin wrote: "Meli wrote: "Mt. Bibliojaro :P

I wracked my brain all weekend trying to think of puns on mountain names... It was not successful."

Well, you can rename your read shelf "Dunn Peak" after a mounta..."

Dunn Peak, very good! Mt. Jumbo also accurate.

If only there was some way to capture my neglect of this mountain of books.... like a humane society for books. They may get adopted (read) or they may not :O

message 47: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6082 comments @Meli - now you triggered an idea:

Unread Book Shelter? Could describe my entire apartment.

message 48: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6882 comments Theresa wrote: "@Meli - now you triggered an idea:

Unread Book Shelter? Could describe my entire apartment."

Chortling loudly, ala Lewis Carrol.

message 49: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 918 comments hahaha! you guys make me laugh!

I was actually thinking of my physical TBR shelf and stacks, mainly consisting of library books and other 'soon' TBR books. This is a source of some guilt for me, and my colleagues tease me, that I have my own branch of the library at home. *whispers and hides*: 'there are over 100'... In my defense I borrow books for my reading family of 5, but it's a weak excuse.
These books are returned to the library in the order someone else puts a hold on them.
It really is the neverending story, because there are SO MANY pretty and intriguing books I am surrounded by everyday and I try, I really try, not to bring more home with me than I bring back. But the struggle IS real! (I work at a large public library, look at the pictures here if you like https://www.google.com/search?q=gento...)

Apart from that there are my owned non-read books, they are on the shelves with the other books.

And my TBR on gr that I don't allow to grow larger than my already-read on gr.

There are some overlap between the three but not a lot.

message 50: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6082 comments Johanne wrote: "there are SO MANY pretty and intriguing books ..."

And isn't that ultimately the source of the problem?????

« previous 1 3