What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Family Drama about jewish migrants in New York. Book I read was hard cover with Green color.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thea (last edited Sep 07, 2019 06:12AM) (new)

Thea | 1 comments I aways thought the book was by the author of “Gone with the wind” but I’ve been wrong. I read the book as young teen at my grandmother’s, it was among the books she wanted to give away. It was hard cover with green color.

The story was about a young European Jewish girl in New York, before WWII and it followed her life. At some point she was a maid (view spoiler) . Later, she got married and had a family of her own. I think one of her children was called Iris, but I’m not sure. They experienced rejection because they were Jewish at social events at some point.

The book impacted me as a young girl and as it was in the “give away pile” I don’t know if it’s at my parents home. I live far away and can’t go looking for it. If I remember correctly, it was relatively long and had some kind of “best selling” on the cover. The authors name was in big fancy font.

Maybe someone here can help? Thank you!!

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Sep 07, 2019 07:27AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1589 comments Margaret Mitchell only had one novel published in her lifetime: Gone with the Wind. She wrote another book that was published posthumously, but that one (Lost Laysen) was set in the South Pacific.

Bread Givers maybe? Up from Orchard Street? When did you read it?

message 3: by Lynda (last edited Apr 30, 2020 12:01PM) (new)

Lynda | 109 comments Maybe a Belva Plain novel? The Werner Family Saga seems to fit: Anna has a daughter named Iris