Gone with the Book discussion

General discussion - Which book will you pick up?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 7 comments Mod
Tell us which books you will be reading for Gone with the Book

message 2: by Majdouline (new)

Majdouline | 6 comments I am very pleased with the challenge as I have a lot of books which have been published during this time on my shleves

message 3: by Majdouline (new)

Majdouline | 6 comments My selection would include a French, German and Austrian author :)

message 4: by Marian (new)

Marian (marianese) | 2 comments I'm excited for this! Such an appealing idea. I'm making a saved list on Scribd. May start with a short one for September. Leaning toward some of Shawn's recs: Margiad Evans's Country Dance, or something by her fellow Welsh writer Denton Welch, or Rachel Ferguson, The Brontes shopped at Woolworth's.

message 5: by Eko (new)

Eko | 1 comments I just went through a couple of shelves looking for some unread options. I found 13 possibles. I’m thinking that I may read, Nothing But the Night, by John Williams and Three Summers by Margarita Liberaki, translated by Karen Van Dyck. Has anyone read either of these? I’ll choose October and November reads closer to the time that I’d start reading

message 6: by Kim (last edited Sep 16, 2019 02:42AM) (new)

Kim | 4 comments I'm thinking about reading a couple of books by Australian women authors, Miles Franklin and Christina Stead.
These are two on my shelves
All That Swagger by Miles Franklin All That Swagger by Miles Franklin first published in 1936
and
House of All Nations by Christina Stead House of All Nations by Christina Stead first published in 1938

message 7: by Runwright (new)

Runwright | 3 comments Melanie wrote: "Tell us which books you will be reading for Gone with the Book"

I made a TBR video with books I want to read over the 3 months. In September, I'll be trying to read the shortest books on that list ;-)

message 8: by Britta (last edited Sep 23, 2019 04:09PM) (new)

Britta Böhler | 3 comments I will finally read Enchanted in April in the English original, yes. I will. And probably also Willa Cather, The Professor's House which I bought years ago and still havent read. And to celebrate the first day of the first Gone with the book-month, I bought The German translation of Cora Sandel's The Krane Cafe for a friend of mine whose birthday is on the 24th.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim | 4 comments Britta if you're reading The Enchanted April (1922) by Elizabeth von Arnim I may pick it up too. I bought a second-hand folio edition a few weeks ago and been keen to read that one for a while.
Did try to start Frost in May(1933) by Antonia White at bedtime last night but fell asleep while reading the intro by Elizabeth Bowen in my Virago modern classic edition.

message 10: by Marian (new)

Marian (marianese) | 2 comments It's been a reading desert for me for the past two months, so I hesitate to get too confident in saying what I'll read or even that I'll read. It's been a year.

Some things I may pick up this week are The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster, Death in Venice, or one of my Kafka books. Fingers crossed.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Clough (nonni2) | 6 comments I’ve ordered the book, The World My Wilderness from my library. Just got a call and it’s in! When Mel held it up it looked so pretty, I decided to try it. I just happened to have ordered The Winifred Peck from Persephone, so in October, I may do that one. Haven’t decided what to chose for November, but it will be something from my shelves.

message 12: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler | 3 comments Kim wrote: "Britta if you're reading The Enchanted April (1922) by Elizabeth von Arnim I may pick it up too. I bought a second-hand folio edition a few weeks ago and been keen to read..."

I've just finished Enchanted April and really liked it. Hope you will pick it up!

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Clough (nonni2) | 6 comments I just ordered it. Those Vintage editions are lovely.

message 14: by Donna (last edited Oct 26, 2019 12:37PM) (new)

Donna Hi, everyone. I just found out about this challenge. I find that I am currently reading an author that qualifies for this challenge that I am reading for another challenge at this time. The title is 'Footsteps in the Dark' (1932), the first of twelve mystery/detective stories written by Georgette Heyer, the first ten of which were published between 1932 and 1942. So, I thought that I could finish out the last weeks in coming months with her second and third mysteries - 'Why Shoot a Butler? (1933) and 'The Unfinished Clue' (1934). Thank you, Melanie for doing this project, and thank you Shannon Ridler for including Melanie's challenge in your recent Friday Reads video.