The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BOOK REVIEWS > Kim's 'fall challenge' book reviews

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (last edited Sep 04, 2009 11:42PM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 10.6 The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.
It's not a book that I would have come across normally. I managed to reserve this one- and found it a quick easy read. 3*

20.2 part completed
The Gap year for grown ups by Annie Sanders
This was one of the books for the ABC challenge. It wasn't quite what I expected- some of the issues really made me think even though it's supposed to be a frothy book. I have daughters who could be on a gap year soon! I enjoyed it.
It was also written by joint authors- something I hadn't realised before, so it could be fitted into the challenge somewhere else! (2/9/09)
4*
Total points - 10
Books read- 2
Tasks completed- 1
Tasks underway- 1
Pages - 629

message 2: by Kim (last edited Sep 05, 2009 03:48PM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments I've just read Somewhere in Heaven: The Remarkable Love Story of Dana and Christopher Reeve
by Christopher P. Andersen
for 10.7 the superhero task. I had this book on the shelf and wanted to fit it into this challenge. Although I can't say I was ever a Superman fan- this book really made a deep impression on me. They were both truly inspirational people and their love was evident. Dana Reeve shone through as a real life hero/heroine to me.She was absolutely devoted to Christopher and they worked so hard to fundraise and keep him exercised in the hope that medical advances would allow him to walk again. 4*

10.8 With one lousy free packet of seed- by Lynne Truss. My words for this challenge were attendance, customary and packet. I found this book so hard to plough through and but for this challenge it would have been one of the rare books that I give up on. It was based on a gardening magazine and a series on celebrities and their garden sheds!! 1*

Total points - 30
Books read- 4
Tasks completed- 3
Tasks underway- 1
Pages - 1057

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) I felt so sad for their Son, to lose both parents so close together. Dana was so unexpected, and to have lung cancer from never smoking : (

message 4: by Kim (last edited Sep 07, 2009 12:30PM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 25.8 Name- Sam's Letters to Jennifer - James Patterson
This was totally different to any other James Patterson I've read- but I really loved this one. Jennifer returns to her grandmothers house when she is in hospital and finds lots of numbered envelopes that detail her grandmothers life and reveal some surprises. It was a very quick read- as most of his books are, but had a lasting effect.4*

Total points - 30
Books read- 5
Tasks completed- 3
Tasks underway- 2
Pages - 1320

message 5: by Kim (last edited Sep 07, 2009 12:30PM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 10.6 A bear called Paddington- Michael Bond
I read this when I was a child and it is still on my bookcase! This was a nice trip down memory lane. I only ever had the first book in the series but remember being madly envious of our neighbour who had them all!!!!!!!! It's about a bumbling bear who eats marmalade sandwiches!3*

Total points - 40
Books read- 6
Tasks completed- 4
Tasks underway- 2
Pages - 1480

message 6: by Kim (last edited Sep 07, 2009 12:30PM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 25.8 THING- The shop on Blossom street- Debbie Macomber
A friend lent me this series and I really enjoyed the first one. Lydia opens a 'yarn shop' and her first three customers for the classes are a very mixed bunch! They become friends over the course of the book- with their family lives becoming entwined in certain ways. This was a really enjoyable 'comfort read'.4*

Total points - 40
Books read- 7
Tasks completed- 4
Tasks underway- 2
Pages - 1888

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments 25.7- 3 word title- A good Yarn - Debbie Macomber
I've been hooked on these books since my friend lent them to me. Then I've tried to see where I could fit them into the challenge!!!!! This is the second in the series and another easy read.

15.3 - division- '43' 3rd in series- Wednesdays at Four- Debbie Macomber
The third in the series

Total points - 40
Books read- 9
Tasks completed- 4
Tasks underway- 4
Pages - 2696

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments 10.5 The Reader- Bernhard Schlink
This wasn't the best book I've ever read- but was quite thought provoking.

Total points - 50
Books read- 10
Tasks completed- 5
Tasks underway- 4
Pages -2914

message 9: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 12:58AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 25.7- one word title - Accident- Danielle Steel
This was a reread. I had a box waiting to go up in the loft and this one fell out. I picked it up and it drew me in and I had to read it. Danielle Steel books are like comfort food to me and only take a few hours. Once I'd got to the accident I had to see how it worked out. I'd read it before but hadn't remembered much of the story line!

Total points - 50
Books read- 11
Tasks completed- 5
Tasks underway- 4
Pages -3378

message 10: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 12:59AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 25.7- two word title - Twenty wishes - Debbie Macomber
This book completes this challenge. It was a lovely book and would be suitable for the adoption challenge aswell. 4*

Total points - 75
Books read- 11
Tasks completed- 6
Tasks underway- 3

message 11: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 12:59AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 25.1- The good plain cook- Bethan Roberts
I picked this book up from the library yesterday and initially thought I was going to really enjoy it. It just took an unexpected turn and wasn't the book I thought it would be. It was set in the 30's and a young inexperienced girl is employed into a bohemian household as a 'good plain cook'. It was very quick to read- but I didn't enjoy it much. 2*
The Fireside book- David hope
My mum used to have these books every Christmas. She likes poetry- and each book is illustrated. I did enjoy reading through this one- like a trip down memory lane. 3*

Total points - 100
Books read- 13
Tasks completed- 7
Tasks underway- 3

message 12: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:00AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 20.2 part completion - Flora's Lot- Katie Fforde
I like Katie Fforde books and this one didn't disappoint- has a happy ending!

Total points - 100
Books read- 14
Tasks completed- 7
Tasks underway- 3

message 13: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:00AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments Part completed 15.1 Prepositions- TO have and to hold- Anne Bennett
This book was set in war time Birmingham and it was interesting to read more about the history of the local area during the war. Another book lent to me by my mum! 3*
Total points - 100
Books read- 15
Tasks completed- 7
Tasks underway- 4

message 14: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:00AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 5.5- Kestrel for a knave- Barry Hines
A Kestrel for a Knave (Penguin Modern Classics) by Barry Hines
My daughter brought this book home from last night- and although I had originally planned to read something else for this task I decided this would be a great way to share with her and complete a task!!!! I remember it well from school- even the classroom we read it in.

My daughter has special needs and therefore has a lower reading age and doesn't often read for pleasure. I was thrilled that she was so wrapped in this story. They are studying it at school and we read a few pages together last night. She also found clips of the film online and read those. She's asked to read a bit more tonight.

After she'd gone to bed- I sat down to finish this one and I'm really glad I did. The boy's devotion to the bird is lovely and it brought memories of when I read it and also future memories for my daughter. I'm going to look for a copy of the film for her today.

Total points - 105
Books read- 16
Tasks completed- 8
Tasks underway- 4

message 15: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:00AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 5.7- While my sister sleeps- Barbara Delinsky
This book made me truly thankful for my family's health and safety. I found it a really powerful book and I was so disappointed when it came to an end. The book had about 70 pages of readers group questions and author notes and an excerpt from a new book. I thought I still had some way to go with the story. It had come to it's logical conclusion- but I always like to tie up the pieces and could have immersed myself into the story for longer!
Total points - 110
Books read- 17
Tasks completed- 9
Tasks underway- 4

message 16: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:01AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments I read Heart shaped box by Joe Hill for 25.2
I was really looking forward to this one but struggled to get into it. I used to love this genre of books- but haven't read one for a long while and not sure why I struggled so much with it.

Total points - 110
Books read- 18
Tasks completed- 9
Tasks underway- 5

message 17: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:01AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments I've just finished 'Water for Elephants'- by Sara Gruen for 5.9. I gave it 4 stars. I really enjoyed the story.

Total points - 115
Books read- 19
Tasks completed- 10
Tasks underway- 5

message 18: by Kim (last edited Sep 23, 2009 09:24AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 5.6 Plum Spooky- Janet Evanovich
This was the first Stephanie Plum book that I read- and I'm not sure whether I will keep them on my wishlist. I had to read this one in a hurry as it needs to go back to the library and I'm not sure whether that spoilt my enjoyment- or whether I just didn't enjoy it even though I've been looking forward to trying these books!

Total points - 120
Books read- 20
Tasks completed- 11
Tasks underway- 5

message 19: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Kim wrote: "5.6 Plum Spooky- Janet Evanovich
This was the first Stephanie Plum book that I read- and I'm not sure whether I will keep them on my wishlist. I had to read this one in a hurry as it needs to go b..."

I highly recommend reading the books with the NUMBERS in it.

message 20: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:02AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 15.4 Stiff - Mary Roach and The Island (sci fi film)
I'm not sure this book would ever have crossed my radar apart from for this challenge and isn't something I would normally pick up. I found parts of it really interesting- but parts of it horrified me. I came away still believing that leaving a body to research is amazing thing to do- but not something I will ever consider unfortunately!

Total points - 135
Books read- 21
Tasks completed- 12
Tasks underway- 5

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments Thank you Theresa- I might check one out of the library when I've finished the next lot of books!

message 22: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:02AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 15.3 Maths challenge
I've just read
Agatha Raisin and the witch of Wyckhadden by M C Beaton ( subtraction- 35 letter title) which completes this challenge.

These books are quite enjoyable- Agatha goes on holiday and visits a local witch to buy some hair restorer. The witch is later found dead and there are several suspects. There are more murders and she finds herself in police custody for a while.

Total points - 150
Books read- 22
Tasks completed- 13
Tasks underway- 4

message 23: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:02AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 10.4 Cafe Tropicana - Belinda Jones
This book is set in Costa Rica. Ava wants to run her own coffee house and her father invites her over to Costa Rica to open one there. Santiago is competing against her to run it- and they have the usual sparks flying! It was an enjoyable read. 4 star

Total points 160/690
books read 23/60
tasks completed 14/45
tasks underway- 4

message 24: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Kim wrote: "5.6 Plum Spooky- Janet Evanovich
This was the first Stephanie Plum book that I read- and I'm not sure whether I will keep them on my wishlist. I had to read this one in a hurry as it needs to go b..."

I had the same reaction to Plum Lovin'. Just 'eh.'

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen
20.3 I've just finished Julie and Julia by Julie Powell. I gave it three stars- but it wasn't one of my favourite books. I think I will enjoy the film more- which is unusual.
Total points 180/690
books read 24/60
tasks completed 15/45
tasks underway- 4

message 26: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:03AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments I've just finished the last book for 25.8- Manhatten is my beat- Jeffrey Deaver. I really enjoyed this one even though I had started and put it down a couple of times. Rune works in a video store and one of the customers is murdered. She tries to investigate and becomes entangled in a seperate crime investigation. I liked the twists and turns in this one and apparently there are more in the series. 3*
Total points 205/690
books read 25/60
tasks completed 16/45
tasks underway- 3

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments

The 19th Wife- 20.1
I didn't really enjoy this one as much as I expected. I found it a little confusing to follow at times.

Total points 225/690
books read 26/62
tasks completed 17/45
tasks underway- 3

message 28: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:03AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments I've just read the second book for 15.1
More to life than this- Carole Matthews
This was fairly predictable but still enjoyable. I finished it on the way home from work on the bus. The wife goes to 'find' herself at a Tai Chi course and leaves her dh with a blonde au pair. The expected happens but all ends happily ever after!

Total points 240/690
books read 27/62
tasks completed 18/45
tasks underway- 2

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments 5.8 You've Been Warned
I enjoyed this one- but it wasn't the best James Patterson in my opinion.

Total points 245/690
books read 28/62
tasks completed 19/45
tasks underway- 2

message 30: by Kim (last edited Oct 14, 2009 01:03AM) (new)

Kim | 166 comments 5.1 Fathers and Sons by Richard Madeley
Fathers and Sons- Richard Madeley
This was mainly an account of his Father and Grandfather. His grandfather was left with an uncle when his entire family emigrated. He was left behind and not told until he woke to find them gone. His uncle wanted help on the farm- and had promised that one day the farm would be his. In fact he left it to his 6 siblings who lived in Canada and had never even worked at the farm. They 'allowed' him to buy it off them.
Total points 250/690
books read 29/62
tasks completed 20/45
tasks underway- 2

message 31: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments 5.2Reap the Harvest
Reap The Harvest- Margaret Dickinson
I finally finished this one after picking it up and abandoning it several times. It was the last part of a trilogy that I hadn't read- and I picked it purely for this challenge- as it has an apple on the cover. I think my mum has another of her books for me to borrow- but not sure whether I will read more of hers.

Total points 255/690
books read 30/62
tasks completed 21/45
tasks underway- 2

message 32: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments 5.3 Race Against Time
Race Against Time- Ellen Macarthur
I really didn't enjoy this one- picked up just for the challenge.

Total points 260/690
books read 31/62
tasks completed 22/45
tasks underway- 2

message 33: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments 10.2 Undressing Emmanuelle A Life Stripped Bare by Sylvia Kristel
Undressing Emmanuelle- Sylvia Kristel
I'd been looking for a book to fit the addiction challenge and found this one in our local pound shop. It's not something I would normally have read and I didn't find it entertaining at all. She had addictions to drugs and alcohol and was 6 months from dying of liver failure. As a small child she was given sugar cubes in a rag soaked in brandy to help her sleep- so she didn't really stand much chance! A 2* read.

Total points 270/690
books read 32/62
tasks completed 23/45
tasks underway- 2

message 34: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments 10.10 Dewey The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron
Dewey- the small town library cat who touched the world.
There were some cute anecdotes in this book.3*

Total points 280/690
books read 33/62
tasks completed 24/45
tasks underway- 2

message 35: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments I've just reread Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for part of the foreign language challenge. I loved this book- and although I wouldn't normally have reread it, I want to use the sequel for this challenge and I'm number 60 on the library wait list for the last book. I have read that people haven't enjoyed the last book as much.

Total points 280/690
books read 34/62
tasks completed 24/45
tasks underway- 3

message 36: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments 5.4 Then she found me- Elinor Lipman

Then She Found Me by Elinor Lipman
I struggled initially to get into this book- which was for the adoption task. Gradually the story and characters grew on me and I quite enjoyed the story.
Her birth mother finds her when she is 35- although she has followed her through an agency for years. She is a daytime tv show host and is very demanding and attention seeking. she wants to air a show when she meets her father for the first time. April finds her mother difficult to get along with and the book follows their developing relationship. She also falls in love and that relationwhip is explored aswell.

I felt after a slow start it turned into an enjoyable read. 3*

Total points 285/690
books read 35/62
tasks completed 25/45
tasks underway- 3