Melanin Uncorked Book Club discussion

Speaking of Summer (Sept) > Chapter 1-15

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jazzie (new)

Jazzie B (melaninuncorkedbookclub) | 82 comments Mod
Hey Everyone!

On 9/18 we will be discussing the first portion of the book in person as well as on here for those who aren’t local. In the meantime, think of some questions you’d like us to dialogue about.

Once you post the questions, please include the Chapter and page for reference.

message 2: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 23 comments Am I the only one dying for a break in the case? I understand the importance of setting the scene and making sure we have background information, however I am at chapter 15 and need more. At this point I don't believe anything Autumn says, I've logged her into the category of being mentally unstable.

I honestly don't believe Summer exist. I believe Autumn and Summer are the same person and Autumn suffers from some type of mental disorder lol.

I'm interested to know what you all think as well

message 3: by Bee (new)

Bee Brown | 2 comments Soooooooooooo did autumn and chase kill summer?! I mean I could see that but is that too obvious? 😖😖😖

message 4: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 23 comments Bee wrote: "Soooooooooooo did autumn and chase kill summer?! I mean I could see that but is that too obvious? 😖😖😖"

I'm just glad I am not the only one that sees somethings isn't right. Nothing stated makes sense lol

message 5: by Jazzie (new)

There is some wild stuff going on with Autumn. The second part of the book is supposed to be the "summer" part, and I am trying my hardest not to go pass the 15th chapter lol.

I know my readers have probably surpassed 15.

What do yall think about Chase? Do you all know men like him?

message 6: by Jazzie (new)

Happy Hump Day!!

Today is the day.. drop your questions below. We plan to indulge in the convo throughout the day about Chapters 1-15.

I’ll start it off ...

1) pg 27-28
Autumn talked about the lack of communication with her fathers size of the family, after his death. Is this common? Have any of you experienced this whether deceased or alive? (On either side of the family)

2) pg 30-31
How did you feel when you first read about autumns affair with her sisters boyfriend? Has your thoughts changed as you read up to chapter 15?

message 7: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Hawes | 1 comments Heyyyy everyone 👀 I’m still trying to adjust to using this app! Honesty moment I’ve been struggling to get into the book I’m just excited for the action to pick up! I understand the importance of making sure we have background information but come onnnn! I’m at Chapter 6 don’t judge me lol but I’ve been reading the comments which make me want to push through because I know some good stuff is ahead! Im sure I’ll be close to chap 15 by the time we meet. I’m excited to meet with some of y’all today. I’m disappointed that Autumn is having an affair with Chase and I feel like Summer knew just have a funny feeling, Im still not understanding why she sent her sister on that trip with chase?! What y’all think about that your sister is someone you should have all trust in but it’s just weird to me.

message 8: by Jazzie (new)

What are your thoughts on the detective?

message 9: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 23 comments Jazzie wrote: "There is some wild stuff going on with Autumn. The second part of the book is supposed to be the "summer" part, and I am trying my hardest not to go pass the 15th chapter lol.

I know my readers h..."

I like Chase. Although what him and Autumn have going on is extremely weird, they both dealt with a great lost and found a way to comfort one another. I feel that Chase adds way more value than Autumn. For them to be dealing with loosing someone they both loved he is still able to cook, clean, and be there mentally for Autumn which she has shown she can not reciprocate

message 10: by Jazzie (new)

Shelly wrote: "Jazzie wrote: "There is some wild stuff going on with Autumn. The second part of the book is supposed to be the "summer" part, and I am trying my hardest not to go pass the 15th chapter lol.

I kn..."

I agree with you Shelly, I like him as well. I am still trying to figure eout their dynamic and to see what is really happening with them both. I only got to Chapter 12, but thus far, I still have so many questions.

message 11: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 23 comments Jazzie wrote: "Happy Hump Day!!

Today is the day.. drop your questions below. We plan to indulge in the convo throughout the day about Chapters 1-15.

I’ll start it off ...

1) pg 27-28
Autumn talked about the..."

- I've never experienced my fathers or mothers family disowning me. I'm actually very close with my family on both sides so that would crush me.

- After finding out about the affair I was disgusted. I could never see myself doing that to a friend. let alone a sister. But then as I read and seen her saying how she sleeps in her bed and even wearing her clothes and shoes it made me feel that Autumn may have been jealous of Summer. She speaks of Summer in a negative way more than once

message 12: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 23 comments Jazzie wrote: "What are your thoughts on the detective?"

-The detective comes off as very concerned and genuine. For me though it almost to close for a detective. Its more of a family friend