The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BOOK REVIEWS > Erin's Book Reviews - Fall 2009 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (last edited Sep 02, 2009 02:15PM) (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments 15.4 - The Hunger Games
I was actually surprised how much I liked this book! I had not read any Young Adult books before until the last challenge, and I really like them. It took me a few pages to really get into the story, but it quickly picked up. I kept trying to imagine how the different "districts" looked since they each specialized in different area. I assumed District 12 was somewhere around West Virginia since they worked with coal, but that's just my interpretation. I would like to see this series made into a movie!

5.9 - A Long Way Gone
I didn't like this book as much as What Is the What, even though they take place in 2 different countries, they have the same basic theme. A Long Way Gone is an actual autobigraphy, where What is the What is a autobiographical story turned into a novel. Anyways, overall I liked the book, but was left wanting more when it ended.

message 2: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments I was also pleasantly surprised by The Hunger Games! I just picked up book two from the library. I will be reading it for the fall challenge. So excited! I'll let keep you posted.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments I've added The Hunger Games to my wishlist! I've heard lots of good things about it and it's not a book I've come across before!

message 4: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Erin! I just finished Catching Fire and I loved it. If you enjoyed the first, then you will be equally, if not more, pleased with this second installment.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments Dionisia wrote: "Erin! I just finished Catching Fire and I loved it. If you enjoyed the first, then you will be equally, if not more, pleased with this second installment."

I'm like number one zillion on the library's request list for Catching Fire, so it may be a while til I get to read it :( But glad to hear it is good!

message 6: by Erin (last edited Sep 07, 2009 05:11PM) (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments 25.7b - College Girl
This was an OK book - I gave it 3 stars. To me it was very I Am Charlotte Simmons A Novel-esque. Although it is way shorter than I Am Charlotte Simmons, it was a good read and a story typical of what would actually happen on a college campus.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments 10.8 - The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon
I enjoyed reading this book - it was half history of British explorer Percy Fawcett and half story of the author, David Grann, and his attempt to find out what happened to Fawcett. I liked how it was two separate stories intertwined into one book, but similar enough to make sense.

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin Carney | 157 comments 20.2c - Tea Time for the Traditionally Built
I really enjoy the Ladies No 1 Detective Agency series - they are such quick reads, but really fun to read. I just bought the HBO show of the series on DVD this week and I can't wait to watch it and compare them to the books!

message 9: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Erin wrote: "10.8 - The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon
I enjoyed reading this book - it was half history of British explorer Percy Fawcett and half story of the author, ..."

Oooo this one is on my TBR list! Glad to hear you enjoyed the read.

message 10: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Erin wrote: "10.8 - The Lost City of Z A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon
I enjoyed reading this book - it was half history of British explorer Percy Fawcett and half story of the author, ..."

I read this just a few months ago and found it very interesting. A friend of mine recommended it to me as a book she had loved--usually we don't enjoy the same things at all but this is one of the exceptions.