Fans of Southern Literature discussion

Walker Percy

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) A writer too often overlooked.

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary | 54 comments so, what are you reading by walker percy?

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) The Moviegoer

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I just bought The Moviegoer, too.

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary | 54 comments let me know what you folks think of it....... review in your future???

message 6: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (buckythecat) | 9 comments The Moviegoer is one of my favorite books of all time. I can't even really pin down what it is about it that makes me love it.

message 7: by Wes (last edited Nov 15, 2009 11:11AM) (new)

Wes Kelley (weskelley) | 2 comments While "The Moviegoer" is a nice intro to Percy's perspective and style, I like "The Last Gentleman" more. It believe it lays out the problem of modern malaise in a more meaningful and interesting way. The loosely-based sequel, "The Second Coming" is also quite good.

Two of his other novels are bit more exotic. "Lancelot" is more gothic than most of Percy's other books, but I love his style of storytelling in this book. His dialog on the problem of evil is riveting. "Love in the Ruins" is funny and insightful, but it bit unusual since it told in a bit of a fanciful way.

His final novel "Thanatos Syndrome" is good, but doesn't quite float my boat like his earlier works.

His non-fiction is also very interesting. I agree with Chris that "Signpost in the Strange Land" is well worth the read. His essays are very deep and convicting.

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 25 comments Wes wrote: "While "The Moviegoer" is a nice intro to Percy's perspective and style, I like "The Last Gentleman" more. It believe it lays out the problem of modern malaise in a more meaningful and interesting ..."

I just read The Moviegoer for the first time; I am a novice to Walker Percy. But I am glad to see that there are those who have delved into him in a grand style. These other books sound wonderful. I am not sure why, when I had heard about the "modern malaise" problem in "Moviegoer," I had thought it would be a tad more Gothic than it was. But what it was was wonderful, even if it surprised me a little.

(I'm not sure why "postmodern malaise" connects with "Southern Gothic" in my mind. Perhaps I should read "Lancelot" next.)

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 25 comments I still haven't delved anymore into Percy. (I've been caught up in re-reading Tennessee Williams and watching the movie adaptations, which are sometimes atrociuos, but generally fun in figuring out the 1960's censors.) But I'm still on the lookout for Lancelot: A Novel and Signposts in a Strange Land: Essays and The Last Gentleman: A Novel.

message 10: by John (new)

John Parker (stingo) | 3 comments I just added "The Moviegoer" to my "to read" list. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 11: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 25 comments Wes wrote: "While "The Moviegoer" is a nice intro to Percy's perspective and style, I like "The Last Gentleman" more. It believe it lays out the problem of modern malaise in a more meaningful and interesting ..."

Just found a copy of The Last Gentleman: A Novel at my local library. I don't know how I've overlooked it before. Based on your comments, though, I'm looking forward to it.