The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BOOK REVIEWS > SuzieR's books read/task thoughts

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Nicole's Task - rhyming words - completed 2/9/09
I loved the task - it was a challenge to find a poetry book with words I could rhyme with, but I managed to use two books already in the house.
Haven't You Grown - my daughter's book, collection of fun and sad poems about families. A great poetry book for kids and adults, or indeed, families!
Skin and Bone by Kathryn Fox - really enjoyed this. it was good to have a different main character this time, and a break from the sexual assault thing (mainly ...). Lots of twists and turns in the plot. Great book!

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Oh boy maybe this isnt a good thing LOL

I just added skin and bone to my tbr list, I think I broke my goal not to ADD to my tbr pile on day 2 LOL

hmmm maybe when I am done my tbr will be smaller : ) since many our on the challenge list of mine

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments LOL Teresa! YES that TBR WILL get smaller!!!

ROSEANN'S TASK - Your Job/Dream Job Challenge - First Read A Book That Is Somehow Related To Your Current Profession (Students Count) AND Then Read A Book That Is Related To Either Your Current Or Childhood Dream Job. The Books Can Either Have A Character Or Setting That Relates To That Job.

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Julie and Julia 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen
I read this for the first half of this task - Julie is a secretary, as am I ...
I gave this 3 stars. I did enjoy it, I like the sarcasm and the whole tone of the book. It just didn't blow me away ...

Next up, for the dream job portion of the task: The Girl Who Played with Fire (my dream job as a child was a journalist)

message 4: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments ROSEANN'S TASK - Your Job/Dream Job Challenge - First Read A Book That Is Somehow Related To Your Current Profession (Students Count) AND Then Read A Book That Is Related To Either Your Current Or Childhood Dream Job. The Books Can Either Have A Character Or Setting That Relates To That Job. Part II!

[image error]
The Girl Who Played with Fire
I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo when it first came out. It took me a while to get into it, but in the end I did enjoy it. However, I wasn't too bothered about reading the sequel. When I saw it in a second-hand bookshop for £1.50 I thought I might as well give it a try. I'm soooo glad I did!

I was gripped right from the beginning of this book. I love the way he puts in all the little details about someone's life, right down to what they bought when they went shopping. I found myself getting really angry with how Lisbeth Salander has been treated in her life, and now I can't wait for the third instalment! 5*! The only thing I don't like about his writing, and it is a minor thing, is the way everyone is known by their surnames! I don't know why, but I find it a bit annoying.

message 5: by Terri (last edited Sep 07, 2009 12:10PM) (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments Task 10.3

The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish by Neil Gaiman
The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish
Fun book with beautiful illustrations!

Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Room on the Broom Another funny classic from the author of The Gruffalo!

Man on the Moon
Man on the Moon (a day in the life of Bob) by Simon Bartram Another funny read about a slightly dim astronaut who can't see the aliens in front of his nose!

message 6: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments For 5.8 - Read a book written by two authors:

Catch Me When I Fall by Nicci French
Catch Me When I Fall

This was ok, but not as good as others by Nicci French. The main character was not very likable, and I feel some of the characters lacked depth. A bit of tension towards the end .... 3*

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments For 15.1 (two books with the same preposition in the title)

First book: In the Woods
In the Woods by Tana French

This book had so much potential, and I was gripped from the beginning. Interesting characters and interesting plot. The story of the missing children from 20 years before held my interest more than the later child-murder, I wanted to give Detective Ryan a good shake, and the ending was a huge anti-climax.

3*, because it did hold my attention throughout, just a very disappointing ending.

message 8: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments 15.1 second book: Love in the Present Tense
Love in the Present Tense by Catherine Ryan Hyde

I read this book in a day. Absolutely loved it! It has been sitting on my TBR shelf for such a long time and I'm so glad I finally got around to reading it. I felt all sorts of emotions while reading this, it was a real rollercoaster read. 5*!