A book from a genre or sub genre that starts with a letter in your name
A classic book you've always meant to read
A book published in 2020

Bottom:
A book from a genre you did not read in 2019
A book with only 2s and 0s in the page count

Polarizing:
A book related to Earth Day

The next suggestion poll will be posted on Saturday, September 7 around 11am EDT.

message 2: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 441 comments I’m pretty happy with these. I voted for the genre prompt. Since I normally do a classics challenge that won’t be a problem and a new release is always easy for me to fill. I wasn’t a fan of either of the bottom prompts but feel a bit sad for poor old Earth Day. Just doesn’t seem to be able to make it over the line.

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie | 807 comments More than one prompt I voted for actually one? I'm so excited. I have my subgenres narrowed down, and I have so many classics I want to read. I found a good list of forthcoming sci-fi/fantasy books, so I'll mine that for the 2020 prompt.

message 4: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 441 comments I did like the idea of using War and Peace for the two books related to each other as a pair of binary opposites. I mean the title works and the page count exceeds that of two average books. ;-) But I’ll probably use it for the classics prompt now.

message 5: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Ugh. I hate how the classics prompt is worded.

What does it even mean...”always meant to read”? Always? So, like...since I was born? Or maybe since I was old enough to read? Or perhaps since I was some previous incarnation?

And “classic book” is ridiculously broad and covers thousands of years from ancient lit to modern classics.

I don’t even know what to do with this prompt.

message 6: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments Hmm, 3 prompts is good. It is better than just one. I am disappointed about Earth Day, there were so many books on my list that I wanted to read for it.

The ones that were picked are okay. I can fill them, just not really inspired. It feels like too many cooks are making the soup now and it is getting bland.

message 7: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 787 comments I love that we got a classic prompt in. I agree with the comments about wording though, my preferance is ‘the shorter the better’. Why don’t just call it ‘A classic’, lol. But I am really happy it got in, so the wording doesn’t matter.

message 8: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Ugh, the negativity is strong this morning.

I don't mind personal prompts like these. Actually I barely consider them personal prompts. Neither of them are asking about my hometown /state, my family, my dream job, etc. These are the ones that I find "personal". The letters in my name are just letters like any other letters.

Something I have "always" wanted to read is just a relative term, not a literal one so again, it doesn't bother me. Once in a while I pick up a classic and think hm, maybe I will try this someday. This prompt will be that someday. I don't find it any more personal than any other book I pick up to read for the challenge. I want to read them or I wouldn't have picked them to begin with.

Anyway, I like how the list is turning out and I appreciate all the effort people are putting in to make suggestions and to vote. And the mods to of course for all their hard work!

message 9: by Nadine in NY (last edited Sep 07, 2019 05:19AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1346 comments Wow I think I upvoted all of the winners! So, I'm happy, but I'm also paralyzed by choice (do I read nanofiction? adventure? dystopian? whatever it is that I came up with that starts with "I"? ...)

For the classic, I can see why the wording is awkward for literalists (and I am usually one of the literalists), but I've had a list of classics I keep meaning to get to, and I try to read a few each year. It didn't occur to me that not everyone has a list like that! I think a classic is a book that's more than 50 years old (but I acknowledge that is my own definition and there are many others - if you go by car inspection rules in NY, 25 years old is a "classic" and 50 years old is "antique"), and "always" can mean "for as long as you've been planning lists of books to read next" - for some people, that's since childhood, and for others that's since last year.

I also upvoted one of the losers and the polarizing result. Sob! Poor Earth Day just can't make it in! I keep voting for it!!!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 64 comments I love these results! Really nice to see some prompts that are very much to my taste making their way in.

I've been so surprised to see some people struggling with wording like "your favorite" or "always meant to." They're just turns of phrase that can be interpreted however you want. I guess it's another example of how our brains work differently!

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) Interesting! Of the winners, I up voted one, down voted one, and didn't vote either way on the other one.

I really like the sub-genre starting with a letter in your name prompt, as it has options to make it as broad or narrow as I feel like at the time, and I'm happy that one made it in.

I didn't vote either way on the classics prompt because I didn't love the wording either, but will have no problem finding A classic I want to read. I'll probably just pick something that's been on my TBR for the longest? Or side-step it a little and re-read one that I'd meant to read for a long time before I got to it the first time. ;-)

I did down vote the 2020 release because I don't enjoy the pressure to read new books, but likely I'll just fill it with a Kindle First Reads (one free about to be released kindle book every month for Amazon Prime members) like I did for the analogous prompt this year, and it won't be that big a deal.

message 12: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1729 comments °~Amy~° wrote: "Ugh, the negativity is strong this morning.

I don't mind personal prompts like these. Actually I barely consider them personal prompts. Neither of them are asking about my hometown /state, my fami..."

I'll clarify that I'm not moaning about revealing personal information, that's a ridiculous reason at that level of information. I think you've misunderstood me. These prompts are not the same level of difficulty for different people, that's what I don't like about them.

I don't mind trying to find different interpretations to prompts, but I'm not a big classics reader so I honestly find that hard to interpret without ignoring half the prompt, and so I don't like that it's added a "personal" element.

Just a "personal" preference.

message 13: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1729 comments Sarah wrote: "I've been so surprised to see some people struggling with wording like "your favorite" or "always meant to." They're just turns of phrase that can be interpreted however you want. I guess it's another example of how our brains work differently! ..."

Thanks for acknowledging this Sarah, I feel a bit told off every time I say I don't like these, but we're all different!

message 14: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1346 comments wasn't there a post that listed links to all of the Listopias being created?

message 15: by °~Amy~° (last edited Sep 07, 2019 06:12AM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Nadine wrote: "wasn't there a post that listed links to all of the Listopias being created?"

A link to the conversation list here in the group:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And a direct link to the listopias themselves:
https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

message 16: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Ellie wrote: "°~Amy~° wrote: "Ugh, the negativity is strong this morning.

I don't mind personal prompts like these. Actually I barely consider them personal prompts. Neither of them are asking about my hometown..."

I also didn't mean personal info like that, I don't like a prompt that ask me to pick my "favorite childhood place" or "job i'd like to have" type of things. Those make me.....uncomfortable, for lack of a better word. I just don't see these two as being anything like those. My comments weren't really directed at you specifically. It's just the general negativity in the results threads recently. It's sad to me to see people tearing apart the wording of the prompts or saying that the entire list is "boring" or "uninspiring" etc. It's totally ok when people say they like something, or that they dont. I do it all the time. It just feels like recent threads have gone a bit beyond that. It's not a good feeling to come in and read that is all.

message 17: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 182 comments Happy about the tops and bottoms. Would have liked the Earth one :)

message 18: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments I am happy with the results though I only upvoted one I am someone who does not like personal prompts but am okay with both of these.

For the letter genre, anyone can use their real name, user name, or alias. No personal information is required.

I did not vote for the classic one but I almost did. I have tons of books I want to read but never get around too.

Earth Day was a downvote for me. We had Earth as a previous year’s prompt and I’d like something different.

message 19: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1346 comments °~Amy~° wrote: "Nadine wrote: "wasn't there a post that listed links to all of the Listopias being created?"

A link to the conversation list here in the group:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...-..."

thanks! for some reason I couldn't find it this morning.

message 20: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7222 comments Mod
I really like this group.... I feel like we have a few prompts on the list that could already be binary opposites (global city/rural setting, now classic/new publication), so that's fun!

Plus, as far as genre prompts go, I really like this one. I'll definitely only use my first name (not that Bourque adds a lot of exciting options to the mix lol). But even with my first name, I can choose from Literary Fiction, Young Adult, Mystery, or Essays -- a great variety that I can make more difficult if I feel like it or easier if I need a break in the middle of the year.

Spreadsheet is updated!

message 21: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3491 comments °~Amy~° wrote: "It's just the general negativity in the results threads recently. It's sad to me to see people tearing apart the wording of the prompts or saying that the entire list is "boring" or "uninspiring" etc. It's totally ok when people say they like something, or that they dont. I do it all the time. It just feels like recent threads have gone a bit beyond that. It's not a good feeling to come in and read that is all. "

I completely agree.

message 22: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2547 comments I didn't vote for any of the top 3 but I like all of them! What I like about the 2020 prompt is that I won't plan for it. Just see what pops up at the library on the new shelves or see if I win a GR giveaway. Classics is easy for me because most of the ones I've read were required reading in high school and college or in the last 2 years. There are 100s I still want to read!

Thanks Emily for updating the spreadsheet!

message 23: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 609 comments The letter in your name prompt is so much fun. Is anyone else already thinking of reading a book for each letter?

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz | 506 comments I’m happy with the winners! I’m bummed about Earth Day though. I’m surprised it made it as a close call for one poll & then polarizing for this one. Oh well!

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2547 comments I also feel bad for the Earth Day prompt, which I voted for. I'll find something for the prompt and just fit it in somewhere else, like the 2020 prompt or the prompt that didn't win.

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz | 506 comments I totally forgot about the “prompt that didn’t win” prompt! Maybe I’ll fit Earth Day in there.

message 27: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1306 comments Mod
Well, "J" subgenres will be fun to research... *sighs* Are jungle mysteries a genre?

On a related note, anybody else remember those "poems" you made in elementary school where you had to come up with a word that described you using each letter of your name? Like for Jackie, I'd usually end up with something like "Just, Amazing, Calm, Kind, Interesting, Exciting" because I did not put tons of effort into them. I was always jealous of the kids named Anna, or Todd, or Sarah because their names always seemed so much easier! I had one 5th grade teacher who insisted I use Jacqueline and I'm pretty sure that was a bad choice for our student/teacher relationship ;)

message 28: by Edie (last edited Sep 07, 2019 08:14AM) (new)

Edie | 835 comments dalex wrote: "Ugh. I hate how the classics prompt is worded.

What does it even mean...”always meant to read”? Always? So, like...since I was born? Or maybe since I was old enough to read? Or perhaps since I ..."

The "classics" book club I participate in defines a classic as a book published at least 50 years ago. We've read some great books by Willa Cather and Hemingway and Graham Greene (and some books I didn't love). I am taking "always" as a book I ever thought... "yep, I should read that" when it is referenced in a book I am reading or appears on some list of books to read before..." If I weren't reading Death Comes to the Archbishop for the ATY Fall Challenge, it would fit this prompt perfectly. I like Willa Cather and this is one I have often thought I should read.

For me, there is a wealth of "classic" books out there to read. FYI our classics club is currently reading Joan Didion's collection of 60s essays, Slouching Toward Bethlehem which isn't something I have "always" wanted to read, but which I am enjoying immensely.

message 29: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments Jackie wrote: "Well, "J" subgenres will be fun to research... *sighs* Are jungle mysteries a genre?

On a related note, anybody else remember those "poems" you made in elementary school where you had to come up ..."

You could use your C for- cozy mysteries (for some reason I think you like those).

message 30: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments I didn't mean to offend anyone or whatever with my comment about the classics prompt.

I just get frustrated when a prompt is unclear to the extent that I'm not even sure what to do with it. There is no way I can read a book for the prompt that I have always meant to read because there is absolutely no book I have always meant to read. But if we can ignore the " always," as others are saying we can, then why is it even in the prompt?

Also "a classic book" is a crazy huge category covering thousands of years. I mean, the category is basically just "read a book that was published before 1999" since it covers everything from ancient to modern classics.

message 31: by Marie (new)

Marie | 707 comments If you've got a C you've got a huge choice - stick Classic or Contemporary in front of most fiction genres. I have an N as well as a C, so I get non-fiction too. I could probably use any book on my TBR, I have 11 different letters in my name.

I definitely have a more open interpretation of "always", maybe it's a regional language thing, I'd rarely use it to mean forever. Sometimes I don't even mean forever when I say forever!

message 32: by Sarah (last edited Sep 07, 2019 08:52AM) (new)

Sarah | 64 comments Marie wrote: "I definitely have a more open interpretation of "always", maybe it's a regional language thing, I'd rarely use it to mean forever. Sometimes I don't even mean forever when I say forever!"

Same for me! That's what I meant when I said it was just a turn of phrase. I can't imagine anyone has literally ALWAYS wanted to read something, but that's not what that saying means anyway. Like saying "I've always wanted to go to Paris" just means it's something you've wanted to do for what feels like a longish amount of time to you.

message 33: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I like having the overarching project this year because it really narrows down more general prompts, like a classic.

I’m basically considering three options and that’s it.

I’m feeling somewhat lazy right now, so I’m using my research for the previous Southern Lit and metafiction prompts for my genre, since both of those start with letters in my name.

I came across a cool book while researching another prompt that’s coming out in 2020, so I’m excited about that one.

message 34: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1346 comments dalex wrote: "... But if we can ignore the " always," as others are saying we can, then why is it even in the prompt? ..."

I didn't suggest the prompt, so I'm just guessing here, but I suspect the idea was: "read a classic that you have not read before that you've been thinking about reading for quite some time now." As in, not a re-read of a book you've already read, and not a book that you just now discovered looks interesting. But that's a lot of words, so they worded it the way they did for the sake of brevity. And if we treat "classic" as over fifty years old, it's any book published before 1970, and yes that's a broad time period.

message 35: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 840 comments Milena wrote: "The letter in your name prompt is so much fun. Is anyone else already thinking of reading a book for each letter?"

Yes! Might not happen, but that will be one of my options as I figure out which challenges to piece together for my overall 2020 plan.

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I like the 2020 release and the genre prompt that got in. Both of those were in my top choices. The classic prompt was a bottom pick for me because I just have not been in the mood to read classics in a long time. I've read the majority of the ones that I've really wanted to read, and the few I have left are quite long (Anna Karenina, Ivanhoe, etc) that I would really need to be in the mood for.

message 37: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2547 comments Jackie wrote: "Well, "J" subgenres will be fun to research... *sighs* Are jungle mysteries a genre?

On a related note, anybody else remember those "poems" you made in elementary school where you had to come up ..."

How about J for Juvenile? There are lots of great mid-grade books.

message 38: by Marta (last edited Sep 07, 2019 10:39AM) (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments I am ok with these prompts. I am glad the classics got in, that’s the first genre prompt. I downvoted “genre with a letter of your name” because I feel like that’s another freebie. I actually voted for genre you have not read in 2019 prompt because I feel like that would be a prompt that would challenge me. This was the first one I actually got kind of excited about: I read all kind of genres so I was wrecking my head for one I did not. I might use this for my “prompt that did not win”.

I generally want a good mix of prompts where most are relatively easy to fill but some I have to hunt for. So far I feel we ended up with many easy ones so I would love to see a few more challenging ones. Like a genre prompt.

@dalex, I guess you just want the prompt more clear. I must confess it is crystal clear to me. I am also in a classics group and it defines a classic as at least 50 years old. If you look into “classics” shelf on Goodreads, it tends to be pretty clear what is a classic.

As far as “always”, in this context it means you have meant to do so for some time. I have always meant to clean up the paperwork in the office, meaning, I keep thinking about it but never do it. So this would be a book like, you thought many times to read Anna Karenina, but always balked, or Brave New World, but you never were in the mood.

I also have a list of such classics... so no problem for me. I have been working on my classics backlog for some time, but I still got Uncle Tom's Cabin, Little Women, Brideshead Revisited: The Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder, Madame Bovary, so I am set.

message 39: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 278 comments I'm happy with the prompts this week. I participate in Victober and I will likely choose something for the classic out of this challenge next year.

I have good options for my name in the genre with a letter of my name, but I also remember that we can use any name we want. My grandson is going to be born next month and that not knowing his name gives this challenge an element of excited anticipation for me.

I started looking for anticipated 2020 lists this last week, and that will never be a hard challenge for me. I use the library for more than 50% of my reading so new releases account for many of my choices.

I also know I won't have any problem choosing a prompt that didn't win next year (hello Earth Day). There have been so many fresh and different prompts suggested this year that haven't won.

message 40: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 441 comments A great BIO option for those who feel there are too many gimmes and are also lamenting the prompts that haven’t yet made it is to combine them eg an Earth Day prompt released in 2020 as has been suggested above or a genre you didn’t read in 2019 that starts with a letter in your name etc.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) Even without taking the 'always' super literally, I do have a little bit of the same problem Dalex does with the wording because I've already read (or am currently reading) a lot of the classics that I'd meant to read for a long time--I've knocked out a lot of those in the last couple years of reading challenges I've done. Unless I remember some classic I've forgotten about, I may have to interpret 'always' as 'for about a year now' which does feel like a stretch to me.

It's not a really big deal, as I'll just use the closest interpretation that fits for me (like I said in my first post, probably whatever's been on my TBR the longest, even if it's only a year), but I do prefer when it's possible to strictly interpret a prompt, instead of the wording making it impossible for me to follow strictly.

message 42: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1729 comments Raquel wrote: "but I do prefer when it's possible to strictly interpret a prompt, instead of the wording making it impossible for me to follow strictly.."

Yes,this is the feeling for me. I can manage something, but it doesn't quite feel right for me. I have a few things that I have had a vague interest in reading for a year, but that is far from having always wanted to read it.

I just think it's good to bring these things up, and rather than being shouted down as negativity, people can use the feedback to consider the wording of future prompts, so that they don't exclude people.

I deleted my earlier comment as I felt a bit rubbish that I was bringing the tone of the discussion down.

message 43: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Sarah wrote: "Like saying "I've always wanted to go to Paris" just means it's something you've wanted to do for what feels like a longish amount of time to you. "

I guess that's something that someone might say in casual conversation but it seems wrong in a situation where clarity and preciseness matter. Oh well. It is what it is.

message 44: by Bec (new)

Bec | 774 comments I'm generally happy with these but - argh....A classic book you've always meant to read. There are no classic books I've always meant to read as I really dislike classics, so don't mean to read them. I've tried and tried, but they are just not my thing.
So I'm a bit like Dalex and struggling with the 'always meant to read' - but I guess for me it's for a different reason. I could read a classic (wouldn't enjoy it necessarily but could do it). But there is no way I can read a classic I've always meant to read.

message 45: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
I had a similar reaction to the classic prompt. I still am working through old challenges and similar prompts are definitely still remaining on all of them.

I'm going to go with a "modern" classic and just make it as modern as possible while still being loyal to the prompt.

message 46: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jillian wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Well, "J" subgenres will be fun to research... *sighs* Are jungle mysteries a genre?

On a related note, anybody else remember those "poems" you made in elementary school where you ..."

You are correct that I like cozy mysteries, but alas I do not have a C. I guess I could use M for murder mysteries, but I am almost feel bad about how easy that is...We'll see. I might do it in order next year and so depending on where in the list it falls, I might be in the mood to take an easy path.

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Jackie wrote: "Jillian wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Well, "J" subgenres will be fun to research... *sighs* Are jungle mysteries a genre?

On a related note, anybody else remember those "poems" you made in elementary s..."

You can use any letter in your name, not just the first letters of your name. So you can use J, A, C, K, I, or E, plus whatever letters you have in your other names.

message 48: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Nicole wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Jillian wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Well, "J" subgenres will be fun to research... *sighs* Are jungle mysteries a genre?

On a related note, anybody else remember those "poems" you made ..."

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Well dang that makes that prompt super freaking easy. Thanks for pointing that out, because apparently I can't read lol.

message 49: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Jackie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Jillian wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Well, "J" subgenres will be fun to research... *sighs* Are jungle mysteries a genre?

On a related note, anybody else remember those "p..."

Always happy to help! 😁👍🏻😁👍🏻

message 50: by Eujean2 (new)

Eujean2 | 71 comments Because I have a Z in my name, I feel like I should read some kind of zombie sub-genre. (There weren't any Zs listed in those links, but there must be a zombie-something.)

« previous 1