Historical Romance Book Club discussion

It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
This topic is about It Happened One Midnight
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - It Happened One Midnight- Julie Anne Long

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
Continuing Pennroyal Green series Buddy Read for:

It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8) by Julie Anne Long
It Happened One Midnight

Synopsis: (view spoiler)

message 2: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

When do you all want to start this one?

Jultri | 407 comments Oh, I’m in! This was originally a 4.5 stars from me rounded to 5. This will be my first reread. Can start anytime.

message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ok, sorry I put the thread up and then didn’t get started. I am not sure if others are joining, but I am glad to start whenever.

Sam (AMNReader) | 606 comments Mod
*hops in in a fighting pose* (you know, for Jonathan)

I didn’t see this till now

message 6: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, I will start today.

Sam — this Redmond is worth fighting for :)

*takes out ponytail to rearrange hair into more combat-friendly French braid*

*Cracks knuckles*
*Smiles*

I KNOW RIGHT?!!

I apologize in advance for my obsession here. Hoping my comments are slightly more insightful than "I'll fight you all" but I promise nothing

I will also start tonight. I'm doing 3isj BRs and have a busy weekend, but I can always sneak in JAL

I loved that first scene and seeing the game, intensity, and honesty between them
"I can't decide if I find you attractive,"
Was so so inspired.

Jultri | 407 comments I'll start tomorrow. Finishing a book tonight first, because with my impaired concentration, I cannot read too many books simultaneously.

Jultri | 407 comments Yes, that first chapter was superbly written. They're attracted to one another because neither fit the conventional mould.
I love how candid she is while doing something furtive.
"It’s just that it’s too difficult to keep lies in order, and I’m busy enough as it is."
*chuckles*

message 12: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love the first chapter too. You see their dynamic right away and there’s great imagery in the first chapter.

I just swoon at this book because of all the liking that is so well established

message 14: by Sam (AMNReader) (last edited Sep 22, 2019 09:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm through ch 3:
(view spoiler)

message 15: by Jultri (last edited Sep 23, 2019 03:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri | 407 comments Finished chapter 4. I've forgotten what a misguided bastard of a father Isaiah is. I agree, Sam, JAL gives us exceptional insight into the complex and layered dynamics between Isaiah and his family.
This in particular is brilliant: (view spoiler)

Loving the gentle affectionate teasings between Jonathan and Violet. I'm also getting excited at the frequent mentions of Lyon. I think, I read his book before I read this one (and half the others), so I didn't appreciate the building up of tension at the time .

I love Violet/Jonathan too. I think they are my favorite sibs in the series.

Jultri, the exact passage you quote was the one that prompted my comments. So painful!

message 17: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri wrote: "Finished chapter 4. I've forgotten what a misguided bastard of a father Isaiah is. I agree, Sam, JAL gives us exceptional insight into the complex and layered dynamics between Isaiah and his family..."

The build-up is great, and I think it helps focus this long series with there being an obvious end game.

Argosy is chapter 6 had got to be my favorite. And gosh, they play off each other splendidly. (Tommy and Jonathan) I enjoy that Jonathan remains amused but not the least not jealous or desperate-he's just enjoying the game.

message 19: by Jultri (last edited Sep 26, 2019 05:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri | 407 comments Finished Chapter 9. Argosy provided funny interlude but one can see why, when up against Jonathan, Tommy treated Argosy like a child to be indulged now and then when she doesn't tune him out completely. I am loving the quality bantering between our two protagonists. They just get each other so perfectly and they're not afraid to acknowledge their rare connection, although neither are recognising any romantic intention yet, probably because there aren't yet any. Just a deep seated mutual fascination. It is more a spiritual/intellectual connection at this stage.

Sorry about this long quote, but this is soooo GOOD:

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Sam (AMNReader) (last edited Sep 26, 2019 06:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I LOVE that you're not too lazy for quotes bc I am. I'm at the same place. This is the part of the book that flies by.

We are definitely in sync on this book, Jultri, bc I tag the same things in my head. This part is brilliant. They can both manipulate/charm people and are aware and a little self-conscious about it!

Maybe more "humble" or embarrassed is what I mean. And I agree, the liking and mutual admiration is the thing more than the romance

I don't know that his age is mentioned, but I get the impression he's solidly mid-20s. He's the youngest, and there's a ton of references to how he's 'filling out' and aging in prior books. But then, I can't remember how old Lyon is either.
I'm at chapter 13
(view spoiler)

I'm definitely almost finished with this and just inhaling.... Where are you all at?

message 24: by Jultri (last edited Sep 28, 2019 06:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri | 407 comments I'm up to Chapter 15, halfway through. So loving these two wonderful characters. Tommy is so independent, so cunning and not afraid to use all the weapons at her disposal incl her femininity. I admire her determination not to show any weakness in front of him, and how she cleverly distracted him and redirected him when he showed interest in asking probing questions too personal for her comfort.

I adore how Jonathan came about his self-realisation with a bit of prompting from Tommy (view spoiler) He spends his life trying to prove his own worth to his father and even to other members of his family who had written him off as being frivolous. And although aware that he is far more capable than what they had given him credit for, Tommy is showing him that he is an even greater man than what he has hitherto given himself credit for.

I'm highlighting practically the whole book. JAL's writing is so masterful. I'm so happy, I've joined you all for this reread. This book deserves to be read and appreciated again and again.

I'll limit this comment to just one quote, a cute one:
(view spoiler)

Jultri | 407 comments Darbella wrote: "I have a question for you guys. How old is Jonathan now? Can anyone remember how old he was around 9 months ago in Violet's book? Starting to read more soon, but I am not sure if I missed his age o..."

I'm not sure of his age, but like Sam, I'm guessing about the higher side of mid 20s.

Jultri wrote: "I'm up to Chapter 15, halfway through. So loving these two wonderful characters. Tommy is so independent, so cunning and not afraid to use all the weapons at her disposal incl her femininity. I adm..."
Yes! To all of this.

JAL's writing is amazing, although I've noticed two editing oversights. I forgive her quickly.

There's quite a few things I've forgotten here, though they happen a bit closer to where I am so I'll withhold for more discussion later.

message 27: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am in Chapter 9 and noticed many of those things as well, Darbella. Going slow but savoring.

I like how Jonathan’s avoidance of trouble and emotional entanglements is a tell in itself. It shows how well he knows how tempted he is by trouble, that he will not be able to stop with one taste.

One of my favorite things about this couple is their self-actualization. Also: i loved how Jonathan credits his father with who he is, despite how harsh he is.

message 29: by Jultri (last edited Oct 01, 2019 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri | 407 comments I'm almost near the end. I can't slow down because one, it is so captivating, and two, I don't want to dilute the happy glowing feeling this book gives me by contaminating it with another book.

I especially love the marvellous insight into Jonathan's poor, very muddled mind.
(view spoiler)

The slow growing awareness that they have of each other is just fantastically done and the chemistry is amazing, as Darbella pointed out. I love that the mutual respect is as potent as the physical attraction, and in fact even comes before the sexual attraction hits them like a gut punch. All the while the increasing emotional entanglement sneaks up on them.

Sam, yes I agree about their self-actualisation and how they are each other's instrument in reaching this point or rather helping the other realise that they have achieved this point all on their own merits.

We're getting hints that Isaiah wasn't always the cold and exacting father he is today. Love Jonathan's genuine affection for Violet. I notice, that we're not really getting much exposure to his mother or Miles in this book.

Jultri | 407 comments Darbella wrote: "Just finished! I really, really enjoyed this one too.
Boom! I love how that one word was used to say so much. hehe

Isiah spoiler: [spoilers removed]

It was so rewarding when Tommy Tommy sent her ..."

Glad, you loved it, Darbella. I finished it a few days ago also and intend to upgrade my original 4.5 stars rating to 5 and update my review, once I finish some unpleasant real life tasks (tax number crunching and a tedious work report). Double bah!. Unfortunately, I think the quality of JAL's writing has ruined me for other novels as I am browsing through a few potential next reads, none of which seem to captivate me enough to want to really get into.

I do love the simplistic effectiveness of the word "boom" as you pointed out. I agree with the points you raised above also. The tree you referred to, was it not Lyon and Olivia's initials or was it the older generation's? I jumped around so much reading the series the first time out of order, that I cannot recall all the details.

BOOM! Indeed.

She's wonderful, and she does have her misses with me but it's never due to writing.

message 32: by Jultri (last edited Oct 03, 2019 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri | 407 comments Darbella wrote: "I apologize I misspoke. Isaiah Redmond carved Isolde's name into the tree while he was waiting for her to come that night, but she never did. Her name is above Lyons and Olivia's initials in that o..."

Oh, I can't recall that there was another set of names above Lyon's and Olivia's. What a busy tree it was, and I do recall now that the tree made its appearance several times throughout the final book and possibly also the 2nd last book.

Sam, yes, some JAL books only warranted 3 star ratings from me, but I can't see her ever going lower than that buoyed by the stellar writing. One of the things that impresses me the most about this series is her ability to interweave little details from preceding books into the next, to finally arrive at the complete whole. There is such great continuation and she planned the series so meticulously well. She reveals seemingly little random tidbits, only they're not quite so random and the pieces fit in elsewhere. She must have quite an intricate work board or map of the story/characters to remind her how they relate. What I often hate when reading other authors' works is the inconsistencies in the storyline. I have not caught her out once being inconsistent.

The next one is the lowest I've ever rated her. 2*. But that was hard to do, but I had too many issues with it.

Jultri | 407 comments Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "The next one is the lowest I've ever rated her. 2*. But that was hard to do, but I had too many issues with it."

I rated it 4, but frankly, I can't remember anything about it. I might reread it again, so I can build up the tension for the last 2 books.

She's so easy to read, I don't blame you. I'll rejoin for 10/11

message 36: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished this up in the wee hours of the night last. This one is so great. I think it's a tie for me between this and What I Did For a Duke.

I love Jonathan and Tommy. Love them. But I think my favorite moment is when Jonathan lays into his dad. It's so perfect and was so needed. And it's possibly why I find Miles so disappointing. He just pales in comparison to Jonathan. They really married similarly situated ladies, but Miles seems to accept that he has to have separate relationships with his dad and wife. Jonathan makes explains why he won't settle for less.

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Jultri (last edited Oct 10, 2019 05:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri | 407 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I finished this up in the wee hours of the night last. This one is so great. I think it's a tie for me between this and What I Did For a Duke.

I love Jonathan and Tommy. Love them. ..."

I love that scene too, when he finally trumped his father. It was just one of those moments, you just want to fist pump and cheer loudly. It has been such a long time coming. And yes, to the fact that Jonathan demands Isaiah opening his heart to his and Miles's chosen women. Also credit to Isaiah, that he is willing to heed Jonathan's words and put an end to the estrangement. It's almost like he has been waiting for one of his children's to finally gainsay him. I also liked that JAL inserted Jonathan's observation, prior to the confrontation, that his father's hair was thinning thereby mortalising this man who had been larger than life for most of his life.

message 38: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jultri wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I finished this up in the wee hours of the night last. This one is so great. I think it's a tie for me between this and What I Did For a Duke.

I love Jo..."

It is fist bump-and-cheer worthy! I do give Isaiah credit for conceding to Jonathan’s demands. And while I like Jonathan a ton more than Miles, I acknowledge that finding the exact right words would have been difficult, because it did seem like the exact right words.

JAL has shied against writing a story about the parents because it’s not a happy ending, but I would love a story to understand what makes Isaiah tick.