Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - The Wolf and the Dove - Kathleen Woodiwiss

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3892 comments Mod
Buddy Read for:

The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
The Wolf and the Dove

Synopsis:
The Wolf
Noble Aislinn grieves as the Iron Wolf and his minions storm through her beloved Darkenwald. And she burns with malice for the handsome Norman savage who would enslave her. . .even as she aches to know the rapture of the conqueror's kiss.

The Dove

For the first time ever, mighty Wulfgar has been vanquished - and by a bold and beautiful princess of Saxon blood. He must have the chaste, sensuous enchantress who is sworn to his destruction. And he will risk life itself to nurture with tender passion a glorious union born in the blistering heat of hatred and war.

message 2: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Starting this weekend. Slowly progressing through this one, I expect.

message 3: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments Good luck ladies. I'm not brave enough.

message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I expect the writing will elevate it for me, even if the romance is not to my preference.

Mariana - didn’t you read The Flame and the Flower last year? My bodice ripper last year was not too bad so guess I feel up to the challenge this time. We’ll see how it goes o.O

message 5: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

The prologue was nice and atmospheric. I like, especially in a medieval, some folklore and superstition weaved in. I think it helps place the story since I think it was part of the mindset. My fave medieval author, Claire Delacroix, does a good job with that.

I read Chapter 1 and have started 2. It was brutal, but I can usually get over a tougher beginning. It’s better in the beginning than 2/3 of the way through (I do realize there is likely other tough bits). The treatment of the maid and the mother was awful. Aislinn is proud and determined not to break. I like her already. I just met Wolfgar, and am glad the hero is not Rangor or his brother,

message 6: by Loriidae (last edited Sep 07, 2019 04:58PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1117 comments I am going to preface my comments by saying I have adored this book since I was an impressionable teenager, and have reread it many times.

Chapter two: (view spoiler)

message 7: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2257 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I expect the writing will elevate it for me, even if the romance is not to my preference.

Mariana - didn’t you read The Flame and the Flower last year? My bodice ripper last year was not too bad s..."

Yes, I read The Flame and the Flower last year; and I hated it. Kathleen E. Woodiwiss does have beautiful, almost poetic writing. I liked Shanna.

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Loriidae wrote: "I am going to preface my comments by saying I have adored this book since I was an impressionable teenager, and have reread it many times.

Chapter two:
Aislin - love her courage and strength thr..."

The choice was difficult but cannot fault her reasoning!

message 9: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I am through Chapter 7.

Aislin: (view spoiler)

Wulfgar: (view spoiler)

message 10: by Rose (new)

Rose Vane | 9 comments Like other people here, I've loved The Wolf and the Dove since I was a teen and reread it many times. I can't say the same thing about The Flame and the Flower - a book which I didn't like as much (it seemed implausible to me). In both books however Woodiwiss writes evocative prose - and I think that, like Roberta Gellis, here she manages to capture the rawer aspects of the age without embellishing the setting too much. Many newer medieval romances modernize aspects of the historical setting and attempt to make them more palatable to contemporary readers. It's understandable why, but I prefer romances that attempt to seem truer to the age they depict. That's why I liked this book so much. Besides, there's a stark beauty in the Wolf and the Dove, I think, and both the hero and the heroine are regal.

message 11: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Hi! I got stuck at chapter 10 but have picked it up again. I think it was more in response that Wulfgar left so I wasn’t as interested.

Maida is annoying. I meant to write about her earlier but I just don’t get her as a character, similar to how Kerwick doesn’t work for me as a character.

Gwyneth is awful, though I sort of feel bad about how Ragnor has used her. I don’t get her claim to managing the castle in her brother’s absence. It does not make sense. I also have been surprised at how accepting Aislin is of it.

I think this tends to be true of medievals, but I really enjoy how integrity is the measure of a man’s worth. There’s superficial worth that Ragnor has, but Wulfgar has earned his. I think Ragnor is a good character to show the difference.

message 12: by Rose (last edited Sep 19, 2019 10:06PM) (new)

Rose Vane | 9 comments Darbella, Yes - you're totally right. I noticed the age thing too and it definitely has to do with the fact that people are getting married later now than in the '50s and '60s. And yes, most heroines are redheads....I'm wondering if it has to do only with the fact that in the past redheads were seen as more sexual than other women (medieval times for example). Now the colour is, of course, very popular and sexy. It would be nice to see what differences there were between the way redheads were perceived in the 1950s and the 21st century. I know redheads were popular in the 50s - but maybe not as popular as now (?)...It's really an interesting topic to look into in terms of representation!

message 13: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1117 comments Sorry I went awol. I forgot to take my paperback on holiday.

message 14: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I haven’t been focusing on it. Have made maybe 5% more progress. I just checked it out for the third time from the library and I want this to be the time I finish it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Hi guys!

I’ve been MIA. I’m captaining team bingo in another group. Captain duties are not hard, but a new cat is called every friday, so I’ve been tied up w bingo-related reading.

message 16: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I have finally made progress on this again. Through Chapter 21 and I may finish today.

I thought the portion when Aislin and Wulfgar were separated were tedious, as it mostly featured horrible characters. It made me stuck. When they were back together, it started moving again.

The timeline feels wonky. It seems like more time should have passed than did when Aislin realized she was with child.

The marriage was nicely handled. I thought it was a great way to go about, surprising everyone.

message 17: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Ok, I finished.

The word rape is so casually thrown around. This is the case in some other Bodice Rippers I have read. And it does seem to be a cover for shame of enjoying sex. Blah, I get it is in keeping with the time this was written but also goes to show why I prefer a more modern HR.

The appeal of Wulfgar is potent, so I get the obsession. Even if he is a dunderhead for much of the book.

The nasty characters were mostly awful, but I did appreciate how most except the self-centered Ragnor came to see the error of their ways.

Wulfgar’s mother: (view spoiler)