SSJCPL (Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library) discussion

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Reading Discussions > September Book

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malia (last edited Sep 06, 2019 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Malia Leuck | 20 comments Mod
Let's read a great young adult book! You may have heard of it. You may have wondered, what's so curious about that dog?!?

Well, now is your chance.

Mark Haddon's book, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, features Christopher, a 15-year-old boy who lives in Swindon, Wiltshire in England. He is somewhere on the Autism spectrum and although that makes him interact with and see the world differently, that's not the focus of the story...something has happened to Christopher's neighbor's dog and he's determined to solve the case.

Deborah Maroulis | 12 comments Excellent novel!

Malia Leuck | 20 comments Mod
Deborah wrote: "Excellent novel!"

That's great to hear, Deborah! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

message 4: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Anderson | 135 comments Mod
I agree with Deborah! I loved this book when I first read it and can't wait to read it again. I got it when I was studying abroad in Germany when I went to visit a friend in England and needed something to read in English. I remember loving this novel for the plot and the comfort and familiarity of the English language. Can't wait to see what I think the second time around!

message 5: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Anderson | 135 comments Mod
Having now re-read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime I realize how much of the plot I had forgotten and how the story is really an intimate look on family and what family means. I remembered the death of the dog and the main character writing his novel trying to solve the death but not the complexities of relationships in this family of three or the growth and struggle of the main character.
I am happy to say I think I like this novel more now than I did the first time. Wonderful pick Malia!