Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Book recommendations > Interested in Imposters! Especially ‘survivor imposters’

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana (realhausfrau) | 9 comments I’m interested to see if anyone can suggest any good books about
Imposters, along the lines of ‘The Woman Who Wasn’t There’. I’m especially interested In ‘survivor imposters’....people who fake being survivors or others involved (volunteers, family, so on) of disasters such as 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina. Such a fascinating topic!

message 2: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11677 comments This is a surprisingly hard topic to Google!

This might have a few cases:

The Ultimate Book of Impostors: Over 100 True Stories of the Greatest Phonies and Frauds

This happened:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org...

This isn't a natural disaster but similar. Apparently "Curley" or "Curly," who dined out for years as the only one of Custer's scouts to survive Little Bighorn, has since been denounced as a big fakeroo:

Custer in '76: Walter Camp's Notes on the Custer Fight
Men With Custer

message 4: by Ana (new)

Ana (realhausfrau) | 9 comments Oooh! Thanks, Fishface! I’ll look at those. It is frustratingly hard to find more information on, isn’t it? I have seen things like 20/20 and such that do little stories on this subject, but there is a lack of good books on the matter. I don’t know why, because I think it’s a fascinating topic!

message 5: by Ana (new)

Ana (realhausfrau) | 9 comments I’m eager to look into the ones that falsify their military duty, they are horrible!

message 7: by Fishface (last edited Sep 06, 2019 04:14PM) (new)

Fishface | 11677 comments I would also go to our own TC library -- the green link at the upper right of the group's page that says "Bookshelf" -- and scroll down to the specific shelf called "Forgery, Fraud and Finagling."
There are some cases of imposters in there.

And here's a collection of true stories of people who faked their ethnic identities for profit:

Slippery Characters: Ethnic Impersonators and American Identities

message 8: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11677 comments I am not finding a scrap about phony survivors of anything, except that article linked in Message 2.

message 9: by Fishface (last edited Sep 06, 2019 08:58PM) (new)

Fishface | 11677 comments The Woman Who Fooled The World: Belle Gibson’s Cancer Con, and the Darkness at the Heart of the Wellness Industry
Bunk: The True Story of Hoaxes, Hucksters, Humbug, Plagiarists, Forgeries, and Phonies
Great Exploration Hoaxes
Shadow of the Ripper (EDIT: IMHO this is one of the most infuriating stories I could possibly recommend. I do not know whether this book was written before or after the hoaxer was exposed at last. He was finally busted.)

These are the exact opposite of what you seek but still worth mentioning:
Playing Dead: A Journey Through the World of Death Fraud
Man Overboard: The Counterfeit Resurrection of Phil Champagne

OMG, I forgot all about this book. It's very much what you're looking for:

Outrage: The Story Behind the Tawana Brawley Hoax

And this, which I should have thought of immediately. Such a terrific read:
The Amityville Horror Conspiracy

message 10: by Ana (new)

Ana (realhausfrau) | 9 comments Wow! You are a great source! I can’t wait to look into those! I’m reading ‘Playing Dead’ right now, it’s interesting. The ethic impersonators sounds good, too!

Oh! We forgot...
‘Catch Me If You Can’ by Frank Abagnale Jr. That’s a classic!

message 11: by Diane in Australia (last edited Sep 06, 2019 06:45PM) (new)

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Ana wrote: "Wow! You are a great source!"

Fishface is a source beyond compare. She keeps this group fully informed. She's a very hard worker, and I appreciate her efforts SO much.

message 12: by Ana (new)

Ana (realhausfrau) | 9 comments I’ve noticed how much she gives to this group...amazing!

message 13: by Diane in Australia (last edited Sep 06, 2019 07:17PM) (new)

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Misha Defonseca wrote a fake memoir about being raised by wolves, and surviving the Holocaust, Surviving With Wolves, but I don't think anyone has written a book about her.

There are heaps, and heaps, of fake memoirs, but finding someone who wrote a book about the fakers isn't as easy ... lol

message 14: by Ana (new)

Ana (realhausfrau) | 9 comments Ooh, I just read something about her and how she was shown to be a fake. Good call!

message 15: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11677 comments I can't believe nobody ever tried to pass as a 'Titanic' survivor or...oh poopity poop poop, how did I forget old whatsername?

*rushes off to find a book about her*

message 16: by Fishface (last edited Sep 06, 2019 08:50PM) (new)

Fishface | 11677 comments Yes!! Anna Anderson! Thank you Leonard Nimoy for telling me about her on IN SEARCH OF back in the early 1980s! Now this is a spectacular phony survivor story!

Anastasia - The Riddle Of Anna Anderson, Updated with an new Afterword

message 17: by Fishface (last edited Sep 06, 2019 09:01PM) (new)

Fishface | 11677 comments Well I appreciate the compliments, everybody, but all I really do is mount an assault on the Google search box when the boss isn't looking...

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Fishface wrote: "Well I appreciate the compliments, everybody, but all I really do is mount an assault on the Google search box when the boss isn't looking..."

You are far too modest, Fishface.

message 19: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11677 comments That is literally all I do to scare up these books.

And some days it is literally ALL I do...

message 20: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1260 comments I immediately thought about the 'Chameleon' child imposter, but I can't find a book about it, just TV shows. Here's his Wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A...

message 21: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11677 comments Never heard of that guy. 500 impersonations???

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Found one!
Kathy's Real Story: A Culture Of False Allegations Exposed

If you don't want to read the book, you can just read this informative article.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...