Garland County Library discussion

In person book club

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison | 2 comments Are there any in person book clubs in town or at the library? I would love to join one depending on the type of books covered in the group.

Thanks,
Kim

message 2: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Tooke | 2 comments Interesting Book Club meets at GCPL the last Tues of the month. I’ve enjoyed participating in this group for the past 3 years. What do you like to read?

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Harrison | 2 comments Sorry to just now get back to you. Life seems to think there are more important things than reading. haha

What time do they meet? I'd love to go sometime. Unfortunately I work next Tuesday but I can arrange around the meeting time if possible.

I read just about everything but hard core sci-fi/fantasy and romance novels (Cartland types). I'm not a snob about them, I just don't really enjoy them. But I do enjoy Harlan Ellison and some sci-fi/fantasy so I wouldn't eliminate that. And I've enjoyed some of Jodi Picoult's novels so I'm not eliminating "chick books" haha

I really enjoy very accurate Historical Novels (Sharon K. Penman is my favorite). A lot of non fiction particularly brain and psychology type stories (Oliver Sacks) I do tend to get stuck in a rut with the things I read and would love be in a club where I can get other's suggestions and open the door to books I've not heard of.

I'm currently reading The Leftovers by Perotta and The River of Consciousnes by Sacks long with multiple textbooks I got online about geology due to a current mini-obsession with rocks and geology after a trip to Yellowstone and beautiful geological formations in Colorado and Utah this last spring.

Can you tell me what the current books being discussed at the book club are so that if/when I get to attend I won't be out of the loop?

Thanks. Sorry this got so long but I get a little overly-excited when I start talking about books.

message 4: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Tooke | 2 comments Wide variety— Empty Mansions, The Interestings, A Man Called Ove, The Glass Castle, Station Eleven, The First Fifteen Minutes, Louis L’Amour:The Education Of a Wandering Man, The Girls of Atomic City, The Mapmaker’s Wife.

We won’t meet again until after the first of the year. You can ask at the circulation desk for the book scheduled for discussion after Dec 1.