This topic is about Stardust
Archive: Other Books > [TRIM] Stardust by Neil Gaiman - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 998 comments Stardust by Neil Gaiman
Stardust

What a great book!

I love Neil Gaiman, and have never been disappointed in any of his books.

This book has been described by the author as a fairy tale for adults, and most of the story takes place in a parallel world known as "Fairy", where fabulous creatures and events are common place and expected.

The story opens in the small English town of Wall. It becomes clear that this town is situated right next to the wall between "reality" and "fairy". There is a doorway in the wall that is guarded night and day. No one may pass through the doorway, with one big exception.

Every 9 years, there is a "market" in the meadow on the fairy side of the wall. During this market, people from both sides of the wall mix freely, sometimes with life-changing consequences.

Without giving any spoilers, the story is about true love, ambition and power, the quest for eternal youth, good and evil, murder and treachery. There are many characters and threads and twists and turns to the story, and the author brings them together in very satisfying ways.

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I remember picking this one up off of a new books shelf at my library ages ago. It was where I fell in love with Gaiman's writing. I'm almost ready to admit the movie might be a little better, but I'll always have a soft spot for this book.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8170 comments I really enjoyed this one!

Doughgirl5562 | 704 comments I enjoyed this book. It's on my keeper shelf because I had to rush through it the first time and want to re-read it some day -- and also because I love the cover design.