Play Book Tag discussion

Stay with Me
This topic is about Stay with Me
September 2019: Cultural > Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2217 comments Akin and Yejide are a young married couple living in Nigeria during turbulent political times. They both pray for the blessing of a child but after 4 years Yejide still has not conceived. Pressure from family members does not ease their situation especially after Akin's mother delivers a young woman, Funmi, to their home as a second wife for Akin. Yejide is shocked and knows that her only hope is to become pregnant as quickly as possible. Eventually the couple finds they are expecting but the emotional price they pay for the child is beyond comprehension.

This is a beautiful story but it is so hard to read (emotionally) and heartbreakingly sad. Akin and Yejide are wonderful characters and the reader wants happiness for them but it is extremely hard won. I can't say much more without spoiling the story but suffice it to say, I will never forget this one.

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve had this on my TBR for an age. You make a compelling case for reading it soon. Thanks for your review Ellen.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Lewallen (susanlewallen) | 551 comments I'm so glad to see someone reviewing this one. I listened to it on audio, which, for me, is not at all the same as reading it. As an audio, it had a number of funny moments. Yes, it was a sad story but I was so impressed with the creative plot. I'll not forget this one and would definitely read more by the author. Thanks for your review!

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I am in the same boat as you, Susie! This is a book that has been floating around my TBR for a bit but this is a compelling review to bump it up!

Ellen | 2217 comments Susan wrote: "I'm so glad to see someone reviewing this one. I listened to it on audio, which, for me, is not at all the same as reading it. As an audio, it had a number of funny moments. Yes, it was a sad story..."
Yes, there were some funny moments that were appreciated in the middle of so much sadness (seriously? a goat?) I would definitely read more by this author, too.