Big Ass Book Club discussion

2019 Big Ass Books > 2019 Big Ass Books General Thread

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cass (new)

Cass Burton (cassburton) | 49 comments Mod
Here is the discussion home for all of the 2019 big ass books.

message 2: by Suhail (new)

Suhail (canopusrising) | 1 comments I just like the premise of the group. I too would like to tackle big ass books!

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky Clark | 1 comments Great idea Cass- can’t wait to get started!!

message 4: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Polmanter | 2 comments I'm so excited. I have many big books on my shelves and Big Ass Book Club is exactly my sense of humor! Should be fun!

message 5: by Maartje (new)

Maartje De Groot | 1 comments I think I’ll join once in a while

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 1 comments I’m excited!! I have a long tbr just on big books, definitely going help me tackle it. :)

message 7: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Roenfeldt | 1 comments I've always wanted to be a part of a book club. Looking forward to the first pick.

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison Mia (veracava) | 5 comments I’m excited to join!! I love big books (and I cannot lie)! Hands down my favourite bookish joke ha.

christea ☁️ (anyoneforbooks) This is the book club for me.

message 10: by Agnes (new)

Agnes | 20 comments Sounds like a great club. I'm looking forward to participating, as much as I can :D

message 11: by Cass (new)

Whoa this book club took off!! Just giving you an update: I've officially printed the list of titles to go in the TBR Jar! I will draw the first book pick THIS SATURDAY!

Readalong/Buddy Read will start October 1st!

message 12: by Arlene (new)

Arlene (arlene131) | 5 comments So looking Forward to this book club. Other people reading along will keep me going.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Look forward to hear the name of the book you pick !🙌🏻

message 14: by Cass (new)

I was given the suggestion to do a live show at the end of the month to discuss the book. Is this something people would be interested in?

message 15: by Julián (new)

Julián (julianvm) I am very excited to know which is going to be the book. (are you going to reveal the name in a video?) Participating in groups has helped me to start reading books again. And I really don't have problems reading big books. It would be nice a live video at the end of the month.

message 16: by Cass (new)

Julián wrote: "I am very excited to know which is going to be the book. (are you going to reveal the name in a video?) Participating in groups has helped me to start reading books again. And I really don't have p..."

Lol...well I was going to announce tomorrow in the group, but now I'm getting antsy and thinking of drawing the book tonight!

message 17: by christea ☁️ (new)

christea ☁️ (anyoneforbooks) Cass wrote: "I was given the suggestion to do a live show at the end of the month to discuss the book. Is this something people would be interested in?"

I love this idea!

message 18: by Shell (new)

Shell | 4 comments For anyone interested, The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet is also 1.99 kindle today.

message 19: by Arlene (new)

Arlene (arlene131) | 5 comments Is that the book chosen?

message 20: by Arlene (new)

Arlene (arlene131) | 5 comments I don't understand. Where is the announcement of the chosen book we start on October 1st and is there a list for the following month?

message 21: by Julián (new)

Julián (julianvm) Arlene wrote: "I don't understand. Where is the announcement of the chosen book we start on October 1st and is there a list for the following month?"

The book was posted here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 22: by Jenny (last edited Sep 17, 2019 05:41PM) (new)

Jenny | 3 comments Arlene wrote: "I don't understand. Where is the announcement of the chosen book we start on October 1st and is there a list for the following month?"

Most of the time there isn't an "announcement" per se. The book showed up in the main feed as the book with Oct dates next to it, indicating that it is the Oct book.

As for the November book, Cass said that she would pick the book a couple weeks before the month starts so we have time to get the book if we want to join in. So I wouldn't expect her to announce the Nov. book until mid-Oct. She is doing one book per month announced a couple weeks before so I don't think there will be any "list."

message 23: by Julieth (new)

Julieth (_booksensation_) Super excited about joining! Thank you for creating this group!!

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Baker (bookishmavens) | 1 comments So excited to join this group. I picked up my book for November and can't wait.

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen I’m reading ‘‘this months book “ Mage’s blood”

message 26: by Noes (new)

Noes | 3 comments Karen wrote: "I’m reading ‘‘this months book “ Mage’s blood”"
Me too!

message 27: by Dan (new)

Dan This book is big--686 pages in my hardback copy. And that's just Book One. According to the blurb on the back inside cover, David Hair has written young adult books before, but this is his first fantasy book for adults. The books in the quartet began appearing in 2012, a new one appearing once per year after that, each one longer than the previous installment, and higher rated too.

message 28: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1 comments I just found out about this group and joined right away! I have so many big books on my TBR that are so intimidating. Excited about participating but I'll likely only be reading when the chosen book is on my TBR.

message 29: by Cass (new)

Hey Everyone! I posted this question on Twitter already, but I’m wondering if the Book Club is in need of its own Twitter page?
Do people tend to engage in real time on the books on Twitter than just posting to Goodreads?

message 30: by Agnes (last edited Dec 15, 2019 08:09PM) (new)

Agnes | 20 comments Well, posting does not seem to be dynamic enough for a discussion. A Twitter page might be a good idea. :D
But discord might be better, since it's also a good platform for discussions, but allows the hiding of parts of the post, so people who haven't read as far as others don't see spoilers.

message 31: by christea ☁️ (new)

christea ☁️ (anyoneforbooks) i second the discord suggestion!

message 32: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bern_loves) | 3 comments Me too, I use discord for several other book clubs and it works really well!

message 33: by Meryl (new)

Meryl (woserit) | 6 comments A few thoughts about Twitter: it can be very distracting; if I turn off notifications, then I would not consider it useful in an ongoing conversation. Furthermore, character limits, the immediacy of sending a tweet in addition to retweet’s could make actual conversation/communication and train of thought challenging or even difficult.

message 34: by Cass (new)

Okay, it seems like Discord can be a good outlet for discussions then.

message 35: by Meryl (new)

Meryl (woserit) | 6 comments I only just saw your question about a meeting to discuss the books at the end of the month. I like that idea very much and wonder if it gained any traction. It might be worth a try after we read "Leviathan Wakes". There are a couple of good book club discussion options as well.

message 36: by Cass (new)

Happy Holidays Everyone!!! Hope you all had some relaxing time to read those big books!