What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Thirteen Means Magic (Abracadabra, #1)
This topic is about Thirteen Means Magic
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED 90s Young Adult about a teenager who finds out she's a witch on 13th birthday; syzygy, spells go awry! [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julai (new)

Julai | 31 comments I think I read this book around 1992/93--The plot concerned a young girl's 13th birthday, and her aunt calls to let her know that the planets are in alignment (syzygy, this book taught me that word!) and will give her magical powers. She (the aunt) also has these powers. She warns her to be careful, but of course, instead she makes herself the most popular girl in school, which is overwhelming. She then wishes to be "not at all popular" so everybody hates her. In the end, only her cousin stands by her, and the aunt helps her fix everything.

The cover featured an illustration of the teenage witch and her cousin, I believe, making brownies in a kitchen, with heart-shaped sprinkles flying around them. The rest of the cover was, I believe, yellow--it looked like the first in a planned series about this character. Any help appreciated!

message 2: by Rosa (last edited Sep 06, 2019 12:08PM) (new)

message 3: by Julai (new)

Julai | 31 comments YES!! Ros, thank you!!! I can’t wait to read it again.

message 4: by Julai (new)

Julai | 31 comments I must have had two from this series, the cover I described is from “The Love Potion”!

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5205 comments Wonderful, you're very welcome! It's available on the Internet Archive (archive.org) if you want to read it there.

message 6: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5205 comments And thank YOU for introducing me to the word "syzygy"!