Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1) Dread Nation question

as a african american woman
chisholm chisholm Sep 06, 2019 08:20AM
This is for all minorities for this discussion i want to know how you feel. about this book when i was reading it mades me feel a certian way. I mean am I the only one here. I guess it makes me angry when i read this book . I mean i finish books 2 days tops. But i find myself stoping. taking brakes. For gods sake!!! its an audiable book this is crazy. I'm not saying its not a good book. let me just say. i keep reading this book because ...THIS IS A GOOD BOOK! So far as i can tell because im still reading it or listening whatever. but i keep stopping.when i get i dont know unconfortable. i mean i as an minority is anyone out their feeling me on this? am i the only one suffering from this, having issues with the way these people the black people let me be clear are being treated, spoken and there way of thoughts on their religion.

George (last edited Aug 18, 2020 10:13AM ) Aug 18, 2020 10:10AM   0 votes
As a Black man, and an archaeologist/ historian, I found the attitudes that were shown in the book to be fairly accurate as to the world view of the USA during the 19th century (and in some cases well into the 20th century).
I had some problems with the world creation in the sense that some aspects of the culture did not make sense in terms of what they were dealing with, but then I think my approach, as a modern human, may be more rational than that of the people of the 1800s (the experiment on stage, for example, makes no sense if you accept the germ theory of disease, but that was not widely accepted in the USA until the 1890s).
The assignment of weapon types, the sickle, also does not seem to make sense until you consider the cultural setting of the 19th century in which people were limited by race (phenotype) as to what jobs they could have, where they could live and what clothing they could wear. Young Black women would have been relegated to the use of a sickle because it was an agricultural field implement, and therefore representative of their "proper place" in life (rather like the insistence of the U.S. Navy, during WWII, which allowed Black men to serve as stewards, servants, or loaders, again a type of servant).
I can see why you might be distressed by some of the attitudes in the book, but they seem to me to be quite realistic in terms of history.
On the other hand, I can also imagine a book with a similar setting in which people made different choices and created a more integrated society that embraced science and social cohesion in a battle against the undead.