Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Cordless Electricity On the Horizon...

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/02/wi...

My first act will be to turn off Jim's lights from my house...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/09/02/wi...

My first act will be to turn off Jim's lights from my house...

"

I thought I was already in the dark, but that would make it truly so.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) WiTricity's version of wireless electricity -- which converts power into a magnetic field and sends it sailing through the air at a particular frequency -- still needs to be refined a bit, he said, but should be commercially available soon.

Oh, the Sci-Fi possibilities are endless!

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It gives a whole new meaning to "There was electricity in the air."

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Good Heavens, BunWat makes her debut today. I agree, plugging things in is why sofas and tables with lamps all have to go up to the wall. What interesting concept you've come up with, even if you did woodchip me. ;-)

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) She didn't say a little bother, Stephen. She said a little brother.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) This is one of those times when one wishes the face of the other could be seen so as to detect level of annoyance. How about a test. A. I'm annoyed. B. I'm playing

Please choose A or B

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. Stephen almost welcomed Buns again:)

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Thinking about Buns' post, though, begs a question...do you have any preference as to furniture arrangement? Feng Shui or whatever?

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I just looked at a feng shui tips site:

http://www.circle-of-light.com/fengsh...

And saw this:

Clear away any clutter and trim over grown plants in all yard areas.

If that's a deal breaker my feng shui is f--ked.

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) I dislike furniture all rammed against the wall. When I was a teenager I worked for Kentucky Opera Association, and that put me into some of the grandest houses in the state. The furniture in those houses were not pushed to the wall, in fact, in almost every large entry hall was a large round table upon which sat a glorious flower arrangement.

Public rooms were set up for party accommodations, with various groupings of sofas and comfortable arm chairs, without antimacassars. Lamps sat on table and were plugged directly into the floor, or the wires ran under the carpet.

It ruined me for life, considering I ain't rich.

message 12: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) RandomAnthony wrote: If that's a deal..." That would mean hella lot of work.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I like my furniture on the floor.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know, floating in the air might be handy.

message 15: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Jim wrote: "I don't know, floating in the air might be handy."

All depends on how much you weigh!

message 16: by Heidi (last edited Sep 02, 2009 11:33AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Considering that the cordless computer mouse was already invented, this doesn't really surprise me. It does make me happy, though. Cords are NOT aesthetically pleasing.

Question, though - I'm sure that pervasive use of magnetic power will flummox something. I'm too skeptical to believe it won't. How will this be overcome? Or can it be?

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments "flummox" is a cool word.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments :) Thanks. I like it.

message 19: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Rejoice! BunWat is B. We are all flummoxed why block still does not work after lo, these many moons.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.