What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > The narrator spends his life hating the wrong man

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hazell (new)

Hazell Ward | 7 comments Hi,
Looking for a book, which I think is narrated in the first person. The narrator spends his whole life hating someone for something that they haven't done.
I can't remember any real details except that the man is consumed by hatred and a sense of injury, all unbeknownst to the object of his hatred.
In the end, when he is finally in a position to get one over on his rival, he realizes that he was wrong, and that he has wasted his entire life hating someone for something that they didn't do.
That's all I have, I'm afraid. I can't remember what it was they were supposed to have done or said that made him so mad, or what the consequences were.
No idea when it was written, but not within the last 10 years, I don't think, and probably a lot older than that
Does anyone have any ideas what this book may be?
Thanks

message 2: by Ana (new)

Ana Kerie | 7 comments It could be "Kane and Able" by Jeffrey Archer. That's a book about two men, one born into a wealthy American family and one a Polish peasant. It's been a long time since I read it, but I that Able despises Kane and I believe it's because he was turned down for a bank loan by Kane (or Kane's company). He spends his entire life trying to get powerful enough to take Kane down.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Mass market fiction or literary fiction?
Author's gender?
Cover?

message 4: by Hazell (new)

Hazell Ward | 7 comments Thanks. I do remember reading Kane and Able years ago, but I don't think it was that,
I imagine that it would have been mass market fiction rather than literary - perhaps a Ruth Rendell or maybe Patricia Highsmith. That type of thing anyway.
Obsession and visceral hatred rather than the cooler brain of the Archer book.
No idea at all as to cover, I'm afraid, just a mental image of a man muttering to himself in the dark.
Thanks for taking the time to comment