Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > August reads - Cheryl

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments A lot of the books I read this month were nominees for various awards. My ballots for the Barry Awards and the Macavity awards had to be in by the end of this week. I still have a little time for the Anthonys.
Fatally Flaky Diane Mott Davidson I didn't dislike this as much as some of you did. I will probably still keep up with the series. That said it was still only 7.5

A Carrion Death Michael Stanley This was a DNF a few months ago. Proof that mood and life events do color our reactions. It was very convoluted but I did like it. I thought the authors did a very good job of presenting clues and giving the reader time to figure them out before they revealed the answers. 8

First Family David Baldacci (audio)

The Blood Detective Dan Waddell A genealogist is brought into this police procedural. I think (and hope) he will be a regular character because as a town historian and family genealogist I enjoyed this approach. 9

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Steig Larrson. (audio) I seem to be in the minority with this book, but listening to an abridged audio book was the only way I could finish.

Pushing Up Daisies Rosemary Harris. This was obviously a first novel. I found it quite lightweight and I felt she made the cop look very stupid (I believe unintentionally.) 8

The Deceived Brett Battles. Sequel to The Cleaner A tight, good thriller. 9

The Apostle Brad Thor (audio) The second book this month that made the President or the First Lady a criminal.

The Dawn Patrol Don Winslow. Best book of the month for me. An ex-cop, PI, surfer dude.... The author was always one step ahead of me. I don't surprise easily any more, but I was taken aback several times here. 9.5

Three Cups of Tea Mortenson and Relin. I am sure many have read this. Mortenson seems to be an amazing individual. There is an excellent children's picture book called Listen to the Wind by Mortenson and Susan Roth that I would highly recommend.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3588 comments I read PUSHING UP DAISIES earlier this year. You were more generous than I, but I'm not into gardening so that may have detracted a bit for me.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1598 comments I've got Pushing Up Daisies on my Wish List at PBS. Maybe I will remove it for now. I've really got enough books sitting on my shelf.

I do need to read Fatally Flaky so I can be caught up with that series.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14207 comments Cheryl:
I have always admired that you read so many of the books nominated for awards each year. You have introduced us to a wide variety of new authors through that habit! With the various groups of book awards and different deadlines, it seems you manage your reading a lot like I do with my library due dates. Do you find it freeing to have your book tbr piles defined by those deadlines?
Sometimes I wish I could just read whatever I want right now without having to worry about what is due today, and other times I realize the system keeps me reading and sometimes I find a gem in a book I might have put aside otherwise.

Cheryl wrote: "A lot of the books I read this month were nominees for various awards. My ballots for the Barry Awards and the Macavity awards had to be in by the end of this week. I still have a little time for the Anthonys..."

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Do you find it freeing to have your book tbr piles defined by those deadlines?

It does help because it limits the choices I have to make. I can spend hours staring at the books I have trying to decide what to read next.

message 6: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments When I get a chance to read books I own, I have a last in first up syndrome. That's because I'm most enthusiastic about a book I've just received. So I just put the book I bought that day on my night table. If I don't get to it right then because of library math or school assignments, it goes in my closet. If I don't buy another book, it will still be the first out of my closet when I have the time.

Shomeret

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14207 comments Shomeret:
The last book in is most often the one I am most enthusastic about too! Like The Girl Who Played with Fire (home from the library today!)

Shomeret wrote: "When I get a chance to read books I own, I have a last in first up syndrome. That's because I'm most enthusiastic about a book I've just received. So I just put the book I bought that day on my night table..."

message 8: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments
The Dawn Patrol Don Winslow. Best book of the month for me. An ex-cop, PI, surfer dude.... The author was always one step ahead of me. I don't surprise easily any more, but I was taken aback several times here. 9.5

I still have this on my TBB list. Thanks for your positive review. I think I will try him out.