CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2019 > w/o September 6 to 16, 2019

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
School is in, the Giller long list has been shared and The Testaments is being released on Tuesday! There is so much excitement in the book world!!

What are you reading?
What is next?
Are you planning to join us in the group read of The Testaments?

message 2: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Happy Friday, fellow readers.

It was a heavy workweek for me so not too much reading done but I am almost finished Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss. From the blurb, I was expecting a light palate-cleanser, but this novel is much deeper than that. I'm finding it touching, funny and thought-provoking and can't wait to get back to it tonight.

Next up is Joan Barfoot's Duet for Three.

I'll be reading The Testaments but probably not till the winter.

message 3: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 604 comments Happy Friday to everyone. I was happy to attend our local Rotary Club's huge used book sale yesterday and picked up a few books to add to my Mount Everest of books. I grabbed a copy of The Handmaid's Tale as I have not read it since my Grade 12 year, which was a long, long time ago. I have avoided watching the television series until I re-read the book. And now of course I am wanting to refresh my memory before reading The Testaments. Appears I might luck out as am first in the queue for my library's copies that are on order. Enjoy the Fall colors that seem to have appeared early this year here!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 939 comments Happy Friday!

This week I finished Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee, which was a really good read. I also read The Gone Dead, which was a big disappointment. I was very impressed by Benz's short story collection (The Man Who Shot Out My Eye Is Dead) but this first novel was a mess. It felt like a draft rather than a finished book - it was clunky and trying far too hard to be important.

I'm currently reading The Only Story for my IRL book club next week but I've put it aside for a few days because it was really affecting my mood. There's a twist of sorts in it and I've realized that the problem with twists is that if you know the twist ahead of time, it's not a twist, but if you don't know the twist and it makes the book something you should have avoided for your own mental health, then you're kind of stuck.

I've started my Giller reading with Days by Moonlight, which I'm enjoying. It's an odd book but also amusing. If I hadn't already filled the LOL square for bingo, this would qualify, as I was chuckling reading about the satirical Indigenous Parade in it before bed last night. :-)

I'm hoping to start The Testaments next week, after it arrives in the mail.

message 5: by CynthiaA (new)

CynthiaA (bookthia) | 121 comments Hi Bookish Friends!

Now that summer is over, I am around on Fridays again (most of the time) and can actually participate in some of these discussions. I've had a fruitful reading summer, and have been lucky to acquire some really cool ARCs that I'm working my way through.

I won an ARC of Daisy Jones & The Six which was a solid entertaining read.

I read an ARC of All We Ever Wanted which was interesting and thought provoking, but I felt it was somewhat flawed in its execution.

I am halfway through Station Eleven on my KOBO and its really engrossing. Definitely NOT my typical read.

And I am also halfway through and ARC of Jeannette Winterston's Frankissstein: A Love Story which I am loving. I was disappointed to NOT see it on the Booker list. Boo.

I haven't read any of the Giller noms and but I will eventually read one or two, I haven't decided exactly which ones appeal the most. I will eventually get to Atwood's The Testaments, but I'm not setting aside my current reads for it. There are others on the Booker list that appeal to me as well, in particular the new Rushie book. Sigh. So many books, so little time!!

If anyone is interested in my longer reviews, just friend me here on Goodreads and you can see them. I don't book blog because I am not that organized, haha.

Happy September, Friends!

Cynthia

message 7: by Petra (new)

Petra | 842 comments Good morning!

I am waiting for my library copy of The Testaments and will have to read it right away as the queue is long. I'm lucky to be one of the first few to get a copy from the library.

@May, I listened to the audio of The Clay Girl awhile back and really enjoyed it. I hope you like it.

It's been a busy week so while I've been reading I have not finished any books.
Because I wanted a lighter, easier read for a busy week I started a graphic novel, The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue. It's wonderful. It follows a period of time in a tenement building on Dropsie Avenue location in New York City. It focusses on the families living in the building. Lots more words than most graphic novels and some newspaper articles to bring in detail. Very well told.

I'm continuing with and still enjoying Light in August, The Histories and The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed. I hope to finish at least one of them this coming week.
On my jogs I'm listening to and enjoying The Word Is Murder.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 239 comments I am still working my way through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. Apparently the original stories in Japan are three different books, but was translated into one book in English. Very interesting read. I am really enjoying it.

Three of the four Giller longlist books I had put on hold at the elibrary came up at once last night. Next two weeks will be busy reading. I think up first will be Reproduction by Ian Williams.