CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2019 > September/October: The Testaments

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4273 comments Mod
it seems that many are excited to read Margaret Atwood's latest. we had it scheduled for October but who can wait that long??? here is a place to discuss. perhaps no spoilers until October for those that might not read it right away???

message 2: by ❀ Susan (new)

Here is another article about the new book. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/t...

For more, see under authors but for now, we can shift the conversation here.

message 3: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) I've placed Margaret Atwood's The Testaments on hold at the library but I'm 478th in line so I'll be quite late to the discussion party,

message 4: by ❀ Susan (new)

Wow! That is unbelievable. Perhaps your library needs to order MORE copies!

message 5: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) I just checked. There are 60 copies but perhaps they'll order more.

message 6: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments It's not even available yet at my libraries. I thought it was only being released on Sept. 10?

message 7: by Petra (last edited Sep 06, 2019 08:11AM) (new)

Petra | 842 comments I put myself in the library's queue way back in March. I just checked and the first copies are "being processed". I'm 26th in line so should be getting a copy within the next couple of weeks.
I'll have to read it quickly but will be ready for the discussion in October.

ETA: the queue is now over 300 long!

message 8: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 567 comments I haven't bought myself a new book for over a year, so I think I am going to treat myself to this one.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments @heather I’ll be doing the same! I rarely buy brand new books anymore.

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 334 comments I am # 42 in line at our library for a print copy, but have only 1 before me for the audio version.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2052 comments I went ahead and bought it from Kobo. I just couldn't wait for the library lol.

message 12: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Can't wait to hear your reaction,Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺

message 13: by Paige (new)

Paige (iampaigeb) i want to read this so bad but got to many books piled up so got to knock the pile down first. many good canadian authors in my pile. this soon to be one of them.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 315 comments Agreed @paige. I am so eager to crack this one open! I will likely use this for the Giller square assuming Margaret will make it to the short list.

message 15: by ❀ Susan (new)

https://www.cbc.ca/books/the-testamen...

The Testaments is hitting all the lists!!

message 16: by Connie (new)

Connie Paradowski | 55 comments well I was lucky enough to get this book from the library last month thanks t a great librarian who remembered my commenting that I was anxious to read it before it was available. The perks to living in a small town.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, but then am a huge fan. Two things though. I am not sure it would work that well as a stand alone book. Think it would really lose something if you hadn't read The Handmaid's Tale, and a little surprised it won the Booker as much as I enjoyed it I can name several other books by her that I thought were better.