Play Book Tag discussion

Unsheltered (Barnes & Noble Exclusive Edition)
This topic is about Unsheltered
Archive: Other Books > Unsheltered – Barbara Kingsolver - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1116 comments The book follows a year in the life of two families living at the same address in Vineland, NJ over a 100 years apart. The historical family drama is set in 1875/6 and covers issues similar to the Scopes trial dealing with Darwin's ideas. The modern family set in 2015/6 is suffering from a life of doing what is thought to be right but ending up on the brink of destitution. Kingsolver's ideals on the environment and democracy are front and center, debated by all the characters and a bit preachy at times. I enjoyed aspects of both time periods, but was put off by others. Not her best.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments You were more forgiving than I was. I gave it 2 stars and still get angry remembering how freaking preachy she was.

I have absolutely loved some Kingsolver books while I have detested others. I don't seem to really have a middle ground when it comes to her work.

message 3: by Doughgirl5562 (new)

Doughgirl5562 | 754 comments LOL. This book came up in our discussion at my book club meeting last night. We had a tangent discussion on how we disliked books "with an agenda" and this was used as an example.

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1116 comments The first book I read of her's was Bean Trees and I have recommended that to many, many people. Other favorites are Poisonwood Bible and The Lacuna. Most of her latest have been OK but not great.

Susan Lewallen (susanlewallen) | 544 comments She's long been the writer I most wanted to be like - but I must admit I was really disappointed in Unsheltered.