Vegan Book Club discussion

Polls/Book Suggestions > Poll Info: October + November

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (trisstessa) | 556 comments Mod
Hey y'all,

I know September has barely begun so it's probably too soon to be thinking about October and November, but I figured I'd post this while I'm thinking about it :)

I think instead of holding a poll for October, we should just finish up Octavia E. Butler's Xenogenesis series and read Imago. It feels kinda wrong not completing it haha.

After that, I'd like to start Non-Fiction November! So suggest your favorite vegan-friendly non-fiction books (or just ones you'd like to read), and I create a poll later in the month. November is also Indigenous History Month, as Ayoola pointed out in another thread, so it'd be great if we could read a book by an indigenous writer. If there aren't any non-cookbook works, I suggest we supplement whatever book we read with an article by an indigenous writer.

We have quite a bit of time to think about this, so there's no rush for suggestions!

In the meantime, happy reading!

message 2: by Marga (new)

Marga | 27 comments Great idea!! I will have to read the 3 of them as I missed the August reading. Looking forward to it.

message 3: by Tessa (new)

Marga wrote: "Great idea!! I will have to read the 3 of them as I missed the August reading. Looking forward to it."

Wonderful! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the book(s) :)

message 4: by Tessa (new)

So I've been searching for indigenous + vegan authors, and I'm having a hard time finding actual books. I am finding interesting articles though!

Margaret Robinson wrote a piece called "Veganism and Mi'kmaq Legends," which "proposes a postcolonial ecofeminist reading of Mi’kmaq legends as a basis for a veganism rooted in Aboriginal culture. Mi’kmaq legends portray animals as siblings to humanity."

https://www.researchgate.net/publicat...

Robinson is a professor of Indigenous studies at Dalhousie University and is both indigenous and vegan herself.

I'd love to read this and perhaps the Decolonize Your Diet Manifesto. I wonder if there are any non-fiction books that would correspond with these at all...

message 5: by Ayoola (new)

Ayoola | 48 comments Another article that we might read is by a member of the Creek Nation: https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~cavitch/pd...

message 6: by Ayoola (new)

Ayoola | 48 comments Tessa wrote: "So I've been searching for indigenous + vegan authors, and I'm having a hard time finding actual books. I am finding interesting articles though!

Margaret Robinson wrote a piece called "Veganism a..."

Not to self-promote too much, but Veganism of Color would be a good fit, since Margaret Robinson has a chapter in that (as do I). There's also Veganism in an Oppressive World, which is by the same publishing house, Sanctuary Publishers. I've also been wanting to read Aphro-Ism, by Aph Ko and Syl Ko, but they are not writing from an indigenous perspective, to my knowledge.

message 7: by Tessa (new)

Ayoola wrote: "Tessa wrote: "So I've been searching for indigenous + vegan authors, and I'm having a hard time finding actual books. I am finding interesting articles though!

Margaret Robinson wrote a piece call..."

That sounds perfect actually. I see Veganism of Color is on Amazon - do you know if it's available elsewhere too?

message 8: by Ayoola (new)

Ayoola | 48 comments You can also buy on the publisher's website.