The Official Amanda Hocking Goodreads Group discussion

Switched (10/13-10/22) > Amanda Hocking Q&A: 10/23

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

St. Martin's Press (stmartinspress) | 59 comments Mod
Mark your calendars! Amanda will be joining us on Thursday October 23rd and answering your questions about Switched, the first book in the Trylle Trilogy!

Post your questions below!

message 2: by Madame (new)

Madame (rostovalucia) Hi Amanda, I wanted to know how you write so fast (and amazingly)! Your books have quite different plots, and they all seem complete and wonderful. If there's any magical recipe that you use, it would be very helpful to me to take a look at it! ;)
I also admire your self-confidence. Congrats for being such a great author!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda, I just wanted to know if you planned Wendy loving another guy from the start, or was it just as you were writing it came to you?

message 4: by Aria (new)

Aria C | 1 comments Aamanda, I was wondering what you do when you have writers block. I am writing a story and i am having huge writers block. Thank You :)

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy (Turbomom81) | 2 comments Amanda, do you plan on writing anymore books for The Hollows series? I'm really loving this storyline and character cast!

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Gumenick | 1 comments hi Amanda! i was just wondering what your inspirations to write were? like which authors do you read and how did they influence you?

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Rachiele | 1 comments What is the best piece of writing advice that you ever received?

message 8: by Orpa (new)

Orpa (Orpabhowal) | 2 comments I loveeee switched torn and ascend. I recommended it to all of my friends and they loved it

message 9: by Orpa (new)

Orpa (Orpabhowal) | 2 comments Did you ever think that Finn and Wendy would get married while writing this book? Or did you already set your mind to having Wendy marry you know who. (spoiler)

message 10: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (the Voracious Reader) What was your inspirations/influences when you were creating the characters and this world? What was the basis for this whole plot line? I absolutely loved this series and I can't wait to dive into the world again.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

What was your personal motivation for Wendy to meet finn first and then Loki later in the second book if you knew that Wendy was gonna choose (you know who)

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments Hey, Amanda!

I was just wondering if the movie adaptation for the Trylle series is officially going to be made? I read the post on your blog, saying that you sold the rights to Terri Tatchel, and I just wanted to make sure.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Amanda:)

I was just curious on when your movie for the try like series is coming out because I remember you saying that it would take some time in an interview.... How is the progress?

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I was just curious on when your movie for the try like series is coming out because I remember you saying that it would take some time in an interview.... How is the progress?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy (Turbomom81) | 2 comments Cross out my first question. Not even on topic! LOL

message 17: by Sian (new)

Sian | 1 comments Your series has made me think I might like to write a book so I was wondering how do you get the inspiration and motivation for writing your books?

message 18: by Tearnha (new)

Tearnha | 1 comments Hey Amanda,
I would like to say I love all your books! The first book I read of yours I was obsessed! So I would like to say thank you for the books you have create. Also I always thought Wendy would get together with Finn? It wasn't through out the books that I notice that Loki was meant to be for her? Did you mean to Loki to come on or did you always thought it was Finn but then you had a change of heart. How did you choose which one of the boys was meant to be with her. Also when is the movie coming out I so want to see it because I know it will be amazing! I love your work and I am inspire to be a writer. I am so sorry that this is so long of a question. haha! :)

message 19: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 19 comments Hi Amanda

Do you envisage expanding the trilogy by writing about Loki and his background further. Or more of the story from his point of view?

Thanks

Elaine

message 20: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (Bette89) | 1 comments Hello Amanda!
First of all, thank you for a great series, and for giving them a proper wonderful ending, it seems to be rarely that, writers do that. :)
My question to you is, where did the names and inpiration come from? I'm from Denmark, and they all sound very Nordic to me. :)
Can't wait to see the movies!
Thank you,
Alexandra

message 21: by Dominique (new)

Dominique Hawthorne | 2 comments Hi Amanda will we be seeing any familiar faces from the trylle series in your new book frostfire?

message 22: by Dominique (new)

Dominique Hawthorne | 2 comments Hi Amanda will we be seeing any familiar faces from the trylle series in your new book frostfire?

message 23: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Craven (GeorgiaCraven) | 1 comments Hi Amanda,

I think you are an amazing writer! I was never much of a reader when I was little. I used to think it was so boring, until the start of this year. I was traveling to America for the holidays which is a massive plane ride from Australia, so I asked my older sister for a book and she gave me Switched. I started to read it and I was so hooked just by the first chapter I finished the book on the 13 hour plane ride. I read the other two books while I was there and I was so amazed on what a great writer you are. When I got back I recommended it to all my friends and so far I have gotten six of my friend to read it. We all love the book so much, and can't wait for the movie!(So after that long paragraph, haha sorry) my question for you did you know you know you wanted to be a writer or how did you find out?

Thanks so much,
Georgia

message 24: by Sree (new)

Sree .tr | 2 comments hi amanda,
While writing, do you take drugs, smoke marijuana or drink alcohol to beef up your creative imagination?

message 25: by Anya (last edited Oct 11, 2014 10:02PM) (new)

Anya (violetjhughes) | 1 comments Hi Amanda,

You're an author that I feel that I've connected the most with because I'm from Minnesota as well and your books are amazing. What I'd like to know is where you get your inspiration for every book that you've written so far and how exactly did you create Switched and what caused you to think of making a book out of it?

message 26: by Alicec (new)

Alicec | 1 comments Hey Amanda!

Thank you so much for writing the Trylle Trilogy and Watersong Series! I used to hate reading but as soon as I read your books I fell in love and it has changed my life forever. I absolutely love your books so much and I'm so excited for your new series! Will we be seeing as much action as in the other series'? I can't wait! It's already on my calendar!

~Alison

message 27: by Tanya (new)

Tanya H (TJHEd) | 1 comments Hi Amanda,

Similarly to what Tearnha wrote, I thought Finn was Wendy's consummate love. I did not think Loki was a legitimate option until Book 2 and then I was always Torn. I was invested in Finn, not Loki. But, just as Wendy fell for him, so did I. I eventually almost forgot about Finn, looking for more and more Loki, as I turned the pages!

It was the first series I had read, where a love triangle was not entirely evident in the first book, but became a viable contender in the second. I loved it! I had not seen it coming. I was hooked. I went on to read all of your novels. I also wondered if it was your plan all along to have Wendy and Loki be together in the end, or did that develop for you and Wendy as you wrote?

I also want to let you know that I am a High School English Teacher. I teach Shakespeare and a lot of classic novels and modern drama, such as Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Crucible, A Streetcar Named Desire etc... I have always loved these and tried to share that with my students. Many do enjoy these, however, it was not until I started reading YA novels myself, that I was able to connect fully with my students.

We give students 15 minutes, at the beginning of each English class to read a novel of their choice. A few years ago, I noticed that I did not know most of the novels my students were reading and if I just took the time to read some, I would be able to discuss with them. I started with Switched. I expected to read them, just to discuss with students, I never anticipated becoming a fan myself. But I did, and I am today.

Your series started my love of YA novels and it gave me the ability to communicate and connect with my classes in a way I had not before. I now have a collection of novels that I keep in my class that rivals our school library, as they are more recent. Students, not always mine, come and ask to borrow books. They almost always stick around to discuss the novels and what I think of this or that. It is wonderful! And it all started with your Trylle Series. It sits on my shelf in full view, and it's weathered exterior gives away how many time my students have read. It is always one I suggest, even after hundreds of others, when I student asks which they should read. "Have you read Amanda Hocking's Trylle series yet?"

I want to say Thank You for your work and creative approach to plot. They have made me a more approachable teacher. I, and my students, look forward to reading many more!

Tanya

message 28: by Kate (new)

Kate | 2 comments Hey Amanda, I really loved the Water song series and was wondering if you are ever going to write some more like that? Also I just wanted to tell you that you inspired me to join the Creative Expression category for my speech team. Your my favorite author, I look forward to reading the Trylle series again. Thanks again for inspiring me.
-Kate

message 29: by Nerd4 (new)

Nerd4 | 1 comments Hey Amanda

I wanted to ask you if The Trylle Series is turing into a movie or TV show? (either one I am excited)!

Nerd4

message 30: by Beth (new)

Beth Griffiths | 1 comments Hey! First of all, I got so excited when I heard about this Q&A. You are my favourite author. I have read every single book created by yourself and I LOVE trylle trilogy the best. My question is that when creating the characters, were they inspired or based upon a specific person?

message 31: by Zelda (new)

Zelda (Zelda36) | 2 comments Hi Amanda,
I was curious to know what your inspirations are? and do you ever I guess get tired of the story that you're writing? I've attempted to write a few of my own things but find that I never like what I come up with after a while. Do you have any advise as to get past that? You're an amazing writer and story teller, thank you for the privilege of reading the beautiful things you've created c:

message 32: by Micaela (new)

Micaela Muldoon (micaelamuldoon) Hi Amanda,
I recently read Switched, and I think it's really interesting that you chose to write about trolls. That's a vein of the paranormal that isn't explored very often, so Switched is very original. What's equally interesting, though, is that you chose to self-publish -- and you were wildly successful with that! Would you recommend that route to aspiring writers? If so, do you have any tips or advice for what to do/what not to do? Were there any setbacks that you had do deal with? Thank you so much for your time! I'm excited to keep reading your work. :)

message 33: by Janet (new)

Janet Cobb (JDC4ever) | 4 comments Hi Amanda,
First of all I would like to say that not only have I read the Trylle series but I have also read the watersong series. You are an amazing writer. Please don't ever stop doing what you are doing. I have a couple questions for you. What is your inspiration as a writer? Do you take characters and base them off real people? Also, I was absolutely certain that Wendy was going to get together with Finn. Then you threw a curveball with Loki. Did you plan that or was that something that you just decided while you were writing? Very nice twist by the way :) One last question....what was your favorite series to write? Thanks for giving your time to read this. Very much appreciated. And most of all thank you for sharing your creativity. You are truly amazing1

message 34: by Lin (new)

Lin Morrison | 6 comments Hello Amanda!
I'm wondering which guy is your favorite? Finn or Loki?

message 35: by Lin (new)

Lin Morrison | 6 comments Hello Amanda!
I'm wondering which guy is your favorite? Finn or Loki?

message 36: by Eve (new)

Eve Power | 7 comments Did you know from the start who you wanted Wendy to end up with? Finn or Loki?

message 37: by Eve (new)

Eve Power | 7 comments How long did it take you to write each book?

message 38: by Eve (new)

Eve Power | 7 comments What is your favorite series you've written so far?

message 39: by Eve (new)

Eve Power | 7 comments Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? I would love to write a book but I'm having trouble.

message 40: by Eve (new)

Eve Power | 7 comments When did you know you wanted to write? And did you begin writing straight after you made the decision?

message 41: by Eve (new)

Eve Power | 7 comments What has been the biggest challenge for you as an author?

message 42: by Araya (new)

Araya Swinehart | 2 comments Where did you get your insperation

message 43: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn Down | 2 comments Hi Amanda!
Just wanted to ask how do you develop the chracters in your books? Do you plan them evolving in certain ways from the start or does it just come to you as the series develops? I just found it really interesting how, from the first book to the last, you can see Wndy maturing and growing more determined to be a good ruler for her people. Also your books are amazing and your writing style is inspirational!
Thanks.

message 44: by Johnzel (new)

Johnzel Babijes If you went on a date with a character, who would you choose?

message 45: by Sirena (new)

Sirena (mermaid_cx) | 4 comments How do you keep yourself inspire to write awesome books?

message 46: by Xnz26x (new)

Xnz26x | 1 comments *spoiler*

Will we see a scence of wendy and loki after they ascend (get married)

message 47: by Tori (new)

Tori | 1 comments Hello, Amanda! So, your books. Amazing! But then you already know that; your fan base is evidence enough. I'm curious about your thought process of explaining how Wendy's powers FEEL. You are able to pull experiences from the characters' ability to perform magic seamlessly. I understand how the pull of emotion and feeling are able to portray as magical, but how were you able to decide what magic feels like? I've read numerous novels, and each author is different. Do you have an inspiration? An insight of some unexplainable force that lets you compare how certain magic feels? Personally, writing is my passion. It lets me be me more than I am in real life. So how do you pull in your audience, in that amazing way that you do, that lets them experience magic firsthand?

message 48: by Eve (new)

Eve Power | 7 comments When is the first movie from the Tryll series going to be released and when does production begin? I can't wait!

message 49: by ELWA (new)

ELWA (mutiaraelwa) Amanda, I love this book so much! I'm just wondering did you originally want wendy to end up with finn? Or not??

message 50: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (DorothyLydia) | 1 comments Hi Amanda! I've always wanted to know, did you always plan for Wendy to fall in love with another guy and not end up with Finn? Was Loki a character you'd planned on introducing to the series from the beginning?

I love your books! :)

« previous 1 3

The Official Amanda Hocking Goodreads Group

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alexandre Dumas (other topics)